TV Series Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Solid season start to finish. Was very impressed with STSNW.
Last episode was great. Tying in with Balance of Terror which is what I consider the greatest star trek episode ever.

I agree that it was a very good episode and a very good season. Clearly the best on NuTrek. I think it worked so well because the show is episodic vs serial. Trek works better, imho, with an episodic format.

One gripe I have, and I am sure there is a legit explanation…

It was mentioned in the episode that because Pike did not save the cadets from the cadet vessel (because no one was on the vessel when the fire occurred), he did not sustain his injuries and did not have to step down as Captain of the Enterprise.

There are two problems with this…

1) Pike had already been promoted to Fleet Captain when the event occurred. Kirk was already Captain of the Enterprise when it happened

2) Why was no one on the vessel? Just because the specific people Pike saved in the Prime timeline were not aboard, wouldn’t there have just been different cadets?

It’s pretty damned consistently great.

The Lower Decks crossover episode was really good. Kinda surprising since the tones of the two shows are totally different (and, of course, the animation aspect).

But then they followed that up with Star Trek: The Musical? Seriously? Hands down the worst episode of any Trek series yet. Nothing Disco did was this bad. Enterprise was better start to finish than this. Heck, even the introduction of the reboot movies was a better idea than this.

Pretentious as fuck.

The Lower Decks crossover episode was really good. Kinda surprising since the tones of the two shows are totally different (and, of course, the animation aspect).

But then they followed that up with Star Trek: The Musical? Seriously? Hands down the worst episode of any Trek series yet. Nothing Disco did was this bad. Enterprise was better start to finish than this. Heck, even the introduction of the reboot movies was a better idea than this.

Pretentious as fuck.
The musical was interesting. At first, I was like WTF but by the end, I was laughing pretty hard and it's not an episode you need to take seriously. The finale when the crew is singing and then they cut to the Klingons was pretty damn funny.

I can't hate on that episode because it was entertaining.

The musical was interesting. At first, I was like WTF but by the end, I was laughing pretty hard and it's not an episode you need to take seriously. The finale when the crew is singing and then they cut to the Klingons was pretty damn funny.

I can't hate on that episode because it was entertaining.
I have never “understood” musicals. Therefore, anytime I see any homage to the genre, I just eyeroll and get pissed that resources were used to create that garbage. SNW is a good show. And they just stole one of their limited episodes from me.

“Once More, With Feeling” is generally considered one of the best single episodes of any show anywhere. To me, it was entirely skippable, and a bad diversion from a strong show.

I have never “understood” musicals. Therefore, anytime I see any homage to the genre, I just eyeroll and get pissed that resources were used to create that garbage. SNW is a good show. And they just stole one of their limited episodes from me.

“Once More, With Feeling” is generally considered one of the best single episodes of any show anywhere. To me, it was entirely skippable, and a bad diversion from a strong show.
If that is your beef then they stole two episodes because the Lower Decks episode was stupid and pointless as well and nothing more than an attempt to raise the profile of LD. The season has been great and this is the best version of Trek since TNG.

If that is your beef then they stole two episodes because the Lower Decks episode was stupid and pointless as well and nothing more than an attempt to raise the profile of LD. The season has been great and this is the best version of Trek since TNG.
“Old Scientists” was great. It brings the whole universe together, and they were able to tie together two entirely different formats into the same story model. It was clearly a marketing device. They even released it during the LD release time slot rather than the SNW release time slot, proving it was a marketing gimmick. But again, if it is done well, that is something I can live with without a problem.

Musical episodes have a history of being a shark-jumping benchmark. And it is a genre that does not harmonize with my inner rhythm at all (see what I did there?).