The Official SEC thread

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00
I used the search functions but couldn't find a thread of the same name..

Anywho let's get started for the '24 season;

1707931451613.png

Sounds like the SEC is going to 9 conference games in 2026. Interesting timing...IYKYK

Good.

Gotta pay those media rights bills.

It's also one extra loss for half the teams.
The lower tier SEC teams won't play high end OOC, except UF who plays FSU. They will need the guaranteed 3 OOC wins, hoping to get 3 more IC wins so they can go to a bowl.

The lower tier SEC teams won't play high end OOC, except UF who plays FSU. They will need the guaranteed 3 OOC wins, hoping to get 3 more IC wins so they can go to a bowl.
What about Sakerlina and Clemson? Also I think Arkansas has some doozies coming up in the coming years.

That's what your AD announced to the world yesterday. Newbie flapping his gums.
I read the article on that and if you read his direct quotes it’s not exactly definitive and read more like speculation that he felt it was inevitable.

I’m for it but the last time they voted (UT & OU didn’t have a vote) Auburn was the only yes. Bama used to be a yes then Saban got butt hurt over Auburn, UT and LSU being his permanent opponents and felt that wasn’t fair.

Honestly I don’t see them going to 9 games unless ESPN coughs up more money for the additional games and they may do it but they won’t be fired up about it because they get the cream now so they would be buying junk games.

It's not likely the higher end teams will either since they'll be wanting one of the higher CFP seeds.

Also, do you think the front office is only going to make those extra SEC games a high end team vs a lower tier team?

It's basically about getting viewership numbers ($$) to meet the projected payouts, which is good for CFB fans.

Honestly I don’t see them going to 9 games unless ESPN coughs up more money for the additional games and they may do it but they won’t be fired up about it because they get the cream now so they would be buying junk games.

Pretty sure the media rights contracts are fluid. More eyeballs = Larger payouts.

That is why future payouts aren't an absolute number, but a 'projection'.

ESPN can charge advertisers more for a Alabama vs Georgia game than they can for a Vandy vs Arkansas game.

It's not likely the higher end teams will either since they'll be wanting one of the higher CFP seeds.

Also, do you think the front office is only going to make those extra SEC games a high end team vs a lower tier team?

It's basically about getting viewership numbers ($$) to meet the projected payouts, which is good for CFB fans.
Take a look at UGA's OOC. Same with Bama, Texas, LSU, etc., All have big time OOC scheduled. I think that logic is that you can drop an OOC game against a top tier team, and so long as you do well IC you will be fine.

Also, top seeds to go to conference champs. If you aren't the CC, then you can lose a conference game and a big time OOC and still likely get a home game.

I agree. I think there's a very high likelihood that this will coincide with the SEC expanding past 16.
I don't see that expansion. The SEC will only expand if the ACC breaks up, and then it will have to be profitable. There aren't many teams that can make that happen. I've posted a ton on here about it. But this idea that the SEC can't wait to expand any more is nonsense.

I don't see that expansion. The SEC will only expand if the ACC breaks up, and then it will have to be profitable. There aren't many teams that can make that happen. I've posted a ton on here about it. But this idea that the SEC can't wait to expand any more is nonsense.
And that's likely to happen shortly IMO. But yes, SEC expansion would definitely only include adding ACC schools. I don't see the Big 12 schools being targeted by the SEC.

FSU and Clemson have TV value. I don't know how much the SEC values expanding their footprint into NC and VA but that's a possibility as well.

Last edited:
I read the article on that and if you read his direct quotes it’s not exactly definitive and read more like speculation that he felt it was inevitable.

I’m for it but the last time they voted (UT & OU didn’t have a vote) Auburn was the only yes. Bama used to be a yes then Saban got butt hurt over Auburn, UT and LSU being his permanent opponents and felt that wasn’t fair.

yeah CDC didn't say they were going to 9 games next year but said it was coming down the line.. (knows ESPN will pay for it)..

our fans want 8 game conference games now lol.. they want to load up on 3 gimme's. Problem is... gonna have to lose one of ou or aggy every year.. no way that happens

Take a look at UGA's OOC. Same with Bama, Texas, LSU, etc., All have big time OOC scheduled. I think that logic is that you can drop an OOC game against a top tier team, and so long as you do well IC you will be fine.

Also, top seeds to go to conference champs. If you aren't the CC, then you can lose a conference game and a big time OOC and still likely get a home game.

Which explains why division formats are being eliminated. That will prevent someone like 2012 Wisconsin getting a top seed with an (8-5) record.