This Day in Baseball

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 91,200.00
Since I see these every day I figured I would post them here for your enjoyment.

On December 12, 1980 the St. Louis Cardinals send pitchers Rollie Fingers and Pete Vuckovich, and catcher Ted Simmons to the Milwaukee Brewers for outfielder Sixto Lezcano, pitcher Lary Sorensen, and two minor leaguers. The trade will benefit the Brewers; Fingers will win the Cy Young award in 1981 and Vuckovich will garner the same honor in 1982.
https://thisdayinbaseball.com/st-louis-cardinals-send.../

Must have sucked to have been a baseball fan in the 80’s. Steroids weren’t as common and you had relievers winning the Cy Young nearly every year

Must have sucked to have been a baseball fan in the 80’s. Steroids weren’t as common and you had relievers winning the Cy Young nearly every year
Nolan Ryan led the league in strikeouts at the ages of 40-43 1987-90. Not so sure that "steroids weren't as common" statement is true.

Nolan Ryan led the league in strikeouts at the ages of 40-43 1987-90. Not so sure that "steroids weren't as common" statement is true.
Did a player similar to Brady Anderson ever have a random 50 homer season in the 80’s?

On December 12 1924 -- The Senators pick up 35-year-old Stanley Coveleski from Cleveland in exchange for Byron Speece and Carr Smith. Coveleski, a future Hall of Famer, will go 20-5 and lead the American League in ERA.
Great interview with him on This Day In Baseball
https://thisdayinbaseball.com/1924-the-senators-pick-up.../

Andre Dawson hit 49 homers in 1987 at the age of 33. His next best season was 32 HR in 83 at 29. His 3rd best was 31 in 91 at 37.

Mike Schmidt consistently cracked 30+ HR/y throughout his career, but popped 45 & 48 in 79 & 80 after hitting only 21 in 78. He continued his 30+ HR/y after that 78 season until he was 38.

There's plenty of evidence to support the assumption that HOF players in the 80's were juicing, too.

Andre Dawson hit 49 homers in 1987 at the age of 33. His next best season was 32 HR in 83 at 29. His 3rd best was 31 in 91 at 37.

Mike Schmidt consistently cracked 30+ HR/y throughout his career, but popped 45 & 48 in 79 & 80 after hitting only 21 in 78. He continued his 30+ HR/y after that 78 season until he was 38.

There's plenty of evidence to support the assumption that HOF players in the 80's were juicing, too.
Players have been juicing or taking some sort of drugs for generations.

But Brady Anderson hit 50 hrs when his previous 4 seasons were 21, 13, 12, & 16. The roids hit different in the 90s.

Players have been juicing or taking some sort of drugs for generations.

But Brady Anderson hit 50 hrs when his previous 4 seasons were 21, 13, 12, & 16. The roids hit different in the 90s.
Yeah, the '90s roids were better than the '80s; I didn't challenge that. I challenged "weren't as common"; I suspect they were as common, just not quite as noticeable.

Yeah, the '90s roids were better than the '80s; I didn't challenge that. I challenged "weren't as common"; I suspect they were as common, just not quite as noticeable.
Then you’re just arguing semantics, and I’m out.

Born: December 12, 1950 in Charleston, SC, Gorman Thomas. A big, lumberjack-like slugger, Thomas was a premier outfielder until undergoing rotator-cuff surgery in 1984. He was the first player ever picked by the Seattle Pilots in the June 1969 draft. A two-time minor league home run champion, Thomas's frequent strikeouts and low batting average kept him from a steady major league job until 1978. The strikeouts continued (478 from 1978 to 1980), but his homers increased. Defensively, Thomas had fine range and never feared the fences. A controversial trade, disastrous for Milwaukee, sent Thomas to Cleveland in 1983. At Seattle, Thomas made a brilliant comeback in 1985 but became relegated to DH and first base duty.
https://thisdayinbaseball.com/gorman-thomas-page/

Since I see these every day I figured I would post them here for your enjoyment.

On December 12, 1980 the St. Louis Cardinals send pitchers Rollie Fingers and Pete Vuckovich, and catcher Ted Simmons to the Milwaukee Brewers for outfielder Sixto Lezcano, pitcher Lary Sorensen, and two minor leaguers. The trade will benefit the Brewers; Fingers will win the Cy Young award in 1981 and Vuckovich will garner the same honor in 1982.
https://thisdayinbaseball.com/st-louis-cardinals-send.../

David Green was a big prospect and he and Dave LaPoint both had major league careers, LaPoint pitched for over a decade. It's a minor beef but I kind of dislike that they are listed as "two minor leaguers" here.

David Green was a big prospect and he and Dave LaPoint both had major league careers, LaPoint pitched for over a decade. It's a minor beef but I kind of dislike that they are listed as "two minor leaguers" here.
True, but at the time, they were prospects. The Brewers got 2 HOFers but that isn't mentioned either.

True, but at the time, they were prospects. The Brewers got 2 HOFers but that isn't mentioned either.

I think that a man's name seems like more basic and necessary information for identifying him than whether or not he is in the Baseball HoF :noidea:

In addition I would point out that they both had the same names when they were just prospects :wink: