This Day in Baseball

I think that a man's name seems like more basic and necessary information for identifying him than whether or not he is in the Baseball HoF :noidea:

In addition I would point out that they both had the same names when they were just prospects :wink:
I forgive them. It's a short paragraph and some info is left out.

I forgive them. It's a short paragraph and some info is left out.

Oh yeah, like I said it's a bit of a minor beef. But David Green really was the key to the deal. The Cards would not have done the trade without Green as Herzog wanted/needed a prospect to replace Leon Durham (who he'd traded in the Bruce Sutter deal) and the Brewers really did not want to trade him.

Oh yeah, like I said it's a bit of a minor beef. But David Green really was the key to the deal. The Cards would not have done the trade without Green as Herzog wanted/needed a prospect to replace Leon Durham (who he'd traded in the Bruce Sutter deal) and the Brewers really did not want to trade him.
How trades pan out always makes for interesting discussions. Like Davis Green getting injured brought Willie McGee up to the majors earlier than expected, and he then killed Milwaukee in the WS.

How trades pan out always makes for interesting discussions. Like Davis Green getting injured brought Willie McGee up to the majors earlier than expected, and he then killed Milwaukee in the WS.

Then years later in '85 Willie got hurt and Vince Coleman came up, just to help out for a week or two :wink:

Then years later in '85 Willie got hurt and Vince Coleman came up, just to help out for a week or two :wink:
"In a deal that took more than two months to complete, the St. Louis Cardinals sent Templeton, outfielder Sixto Lezcano, and pitcher Luis DeLeon to the San Diego Padres to obtain Smith, who became a Hall of Fame player and franchise cornerstone in 15 seasons in St. Louis. The Padres also sent pitcher Al Olmsted to St. Louis."

"In a deal that took more than two months to complete, the St. Louis Cardinals sent Templeton, outfielder Sixto Lezcano, and pitcher Luis DeLeon to the San Diego Padres to obtain Smith, who became a Hall of Fame player and franchise cornerstone in 15 seasons in St. Louis. The Padres also sent pitcher Al Olmsted to St. Louis."

That was a very fun offseason for the Cards, really for baseball in general.

Haha, just saw this post again. I had forgotten Gottlieb's name.

How IN THE HELL has this been 23 years ago???

I love Clemens’ excuse of “I thought it was the ball”

That really cleared things up, Rog

Piazza is a bitch for not charging the mound after that though