Time to take the Orioles seriously.

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 70,092.00
O's just took 2 of 3 from Tampa, while holding them to a total of 6 runs over the 3 games. Tampa is averaging 6 runs per game.
O's currently have the 2nd most away wins.
Currently 6-6 against the division, where every team is at least 4 games above .500. No other division has more than 1 team at least 4 games over .500.

Bitch, please. Both games ATL took against the O's were 1 run games. Taylor had 1 hit the whole series.
Braves can’t win at home, but the Orioles were no problem.

Nobody is scared of that paper tiger division

They've got a really nice group of position players.

Nabbing Mateo off waivers was brilliant. Gave them around 3 WAR despite just an 83 OPS+ in 2022 thanks to some very good defense and baserunning, and he's currently got a 131 OPS+. I don't think he'll sustain that but he is hitting the ball much harder this year and his Statcast metrics reflect that (.273 xBA, .466 xSLG, .347 xwOBA).

Ramon Urias was another brilliant waiver claim. Since picking him up from the Cards, he's put up a 110 OPS+ while playing GG defense at 3rd and being able to play 2B/SS

Anthony Santander was a rule 5 pick and he's turned into a solid outfielder.

Cedric Mullins hasn't quite lived up to his All-Star 2021 season, but he's still been good.

Rutschman looks like the real deal. Only in his second season and he's walking more than he's striking out. 18% BB% is insane and he's got a career 133 wRC+. They need to lock him up.

Gunnar's struggling but not worried about him. He's at least cutting down on the K's (21 of his 36 K's came in the first 12 games; only 15 in his last 20). Only 21.

They could use another starting pitcher. They could get John Means back after the All-Star break, but he'll be coming off Tommy John so not sure how much you can really expect from him. But if they can get pre-injury Means back, that's huge. Bullpen looks good.

They've got a fun team and there's only more help on the way. Jackson Holliday's already been promoted to AA. It'll be interesting to see what they do with him if he continues to destroy the minors. They could have him skip AAA, though they're not really lacking in middle infielders (and they have another good SS prospect in Joey Ortiz in AAA). He feels like he's going to be a special player though. They've also got Jordan Westburg and he's got a .961 OPS in AAA right now. Kyle Stowers just needs more MLB reps.

Last edited:

Nabbing Mateo off waivers was brilliant. Gave them around 3 WAR despite just an 83 OPS+ in 2022 thanks to some very good defense and baserunning, and he's currently got a 131 OPS+. I don't think he'll sustain that but he is hitting the ball much harder this year and his Statcast metrics reflect that (.273 xBA, .466 xSLG, .347 xwOBA).

Ramon Urias was another brilliant waiver claim. Since picking him up from the Cards, he's put up a 110 OPS+ while playing GG defense at 3rd and being able to play 2B/SS

Cedric Mullins hasn't quite lived up to his All-Star 2021 season, but he's still been good.

Rutschman looks like the real deal. Only in his second season and he's walking more than he's striking out. 18% BB% is insane and he's got a career 133 wRC+. They need to lock him up.

Gunnar's struggling but not worried about him. He's at least cutting down on the K's (21 of his 36 K's came in the first 12 games; only 15 in his last 20). Only 21.

They could use another starting pitcher. They could get John Means back after the All-Star break, but he'll be coming off Tommy John so not sure how much you can really expect from him. But if they can get pre-injury Means back, that's huge. Bullpen looks good.

They've got a fun team and there's only more help on the way. Jackson Holliday's already been promoted to AA. It'll be interesting to see what they do with him if he continues to destroy the minors. They could have him skip AAA, though they're not really lacking in middle infielders (and they have another good SS prospect in Joey Ortiz in AAA). He feels like he's going to be a special player though. They've also got Jordan Westburg and he's got a .961 OPS in AAA right now. Kyle Stowers just needs more MLB reps.
They are definitely turning things around, and are a solid team. I read somewhere (I'll see if I can find it) that they got waya from the old way they had been doing things like signing past their prime players for big contracts and over paying prima donnas like Mochado and have adopted more of the Tampa model, i.e a really good farm system with great development, and signing guys from other teams and getting the best out of them. Coincidentally (or not maybe) Urias and Arozarena were both taken from the Cardinals.

They may be a division rival, but I'm happy the O's are doing well. FYI, the Rays and O's are ranked 28th and 29th in payrolls.

people in Baltimore (and MD) are excited for the O's. They are my American League team so I am also excited for them to finally be competing again.

that stadium is too nice to be housing a loser team.

They are definitely turning things around, and are a solid team. I read somewhere (I'll see if I can find it) that they got waya from the old way they had been doing things like signing past their prime players for big contracts and over paying prima donnas like Mochado and have adopted more of the Tampa model, i.e a really good farm system with great development, and signing guys from other teams and getting the best out of them. Coincidentally (or not maybe) Urias and Arozarena were both taken from the Cardinals.

They may be a division rival, but I'm happy the O's are doing well. FYI, the Rays and O's are ranked 28th and 29th in payrolls.

agreed. This Red Sox fan does not mind them doing well one bit. And when I look at how they've constructed their roster and farm system, it does remind me of the Rays and even the mid 2010's Cubs. And the best part of having all these useful position players is that they can use some of them in trades for established pitchers.

people in Baltimore (and MD) are excited for the O's. They are my American League team so I am also excited for them to finally be competing again.

that stadium is too nice to be housing a loser team.
Lived in the DC metro area for about 12 years, went to Camden Yards a few times. Awesome ballpark and area around it (Inner Harbor). Too bad the rest of Baltimore is a shithole.

Lived in the DC metro area for about 12 years, went to Camden Yards a few times. Awesome ballpark and area around it (Inner Harbor). Too bad the rest of Baltimore is a shithole.
there are some decent spots around Baltimore...I went to Fed Hill a lot when a college buddy lived there and Fells Point and Canton are nice.

it definitely has its not so nice areas though.

there are some decent spots around Baltimore...I went to Fed Hill a lot when a college buddy lived there and Fells Point and Canton are nice.

it definitely has its not so nice areas though.
We took a trip to Bmore in 2016. For the most part, it was an enjoyable trip. We stayed in Linthicum Heights and took the metro into downtown. The only time we felt uncomfortable was when a transient started singing to our 1 yo on the metro, so we couldn't really get away from him. That was the longest 20 minutes ever.

We took a trip to Bmore in 2016. For the most part, it was an enjoyable trip. We stayed in Linthicum Heights and took the metro into downtown. The only time we felt uncomfortable was when a transient started singing to our 1 yo on the metro, so we couldn't really get away from him. That was the longest 20 minutes ever.
I have never ridden the light rail into Bmore (I don't think it is part of the DC Metro).

but yea...there are so sketchy people there, for sure.

there are some nice suburbs though...like Ellicott City

Braves can’t win at home, but the Orioles were no problem.

Nobody is scared of that paper tiger division
I don't know about that.

There's a whole lotta baseball left, but looking at run differentials to date, the AL East is head and shoulders better than any other division. It's fairly remarkable that every team in the division has a positive run differential.

Ranked by combined run diffs, here's how the divisions shake out through about a quarter of the season:

1) ALE +202
2) NLC +10
3) NLW +6
4) ALW -14
5) NLE -50
6) ALC -157

I don't know about that.

There's a whole lotta baseball left, but looking at run differentials to date, the AL East is head and shoulders better than any other division. It's fairly remarkable that every team in the division has a positive run differential.

Ranked by combined run diffs, here's how the divisions shake out through about a quarter of the season:

1) ALE +202
2) NLC +10
3) NLW +6
4) ALW -14
5) NLE -50
6) ALC -157
That said, based on run diff, the Orioles don't appear to be much different than the Red Sox, Yankees, or Blue Jays.

Adam Frazier is the signing that makes little sense to me, a pitcher really should have gotten that money if it was going to be spent.

I don't know about that.

1) ALE +202
2) NLC +10
3) NLW +6
4) ALW -14
5) NLE -50
6) ALC -157
It doesn’t matter. The Astros will eliminate any AL East pretender in October like they always do, and then the Braves will beat the Astros in October like they always do

Marlins starting the season like 12-0 in one run games is ridiculous. Unrelated, just crossed my mind though