tOfficial 2020/2021 MLB offseason thread

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 10,650.00
Post your free agent signings, trades and new here.

Braves signed Charlie Morton to a one year deal this morning. Signed Drew Smyly recently as well

I like the gamble on Smyly. He added some velocity this year. Morton was a damn good pitcher in 17-19, though his velocity has dipped the last couple of years. Still like him on a one-year deal.

I would love to see the (Red) Sox take a gamble on Rodon or grab Archie Bradley. They were both non-tendered. Rockies non-tendering Dahl is weird.

White Sox get Lance Lynn and Adam Eaton

New York Yankees Reaction GIF by MLB
Phillies hire Dave Dombrowski.

Phillies have to be in win now mode due to the current makeup of their roster. them hiring the prototypical "win now" GM does make a bit of sense

Dombrowski is infamous for buring down farms, but the Phillies' farm is pretty weak. pretty interesting dynamic at play

Phillies have to be in win now mode due to the current makeup of their roster. them hiring the prototypical "win now" GM does make a bit of sense

Dombrowski is infamous for buring down farms, but the Phillies' farm is pretty weak. pretty interesting dynamic at play
I mean, they're in "win now" mode, but they couldn't afford to sign their free agents. I mean, I don't believe that stupid report that the Phillies lost $2 billion or whatever made up number some d00d at the Post cooked up, but they're clearly not trying to take on too much more salary right now if Realmuto walks.

I mean, they're in "win now" mode, but they couldn't afford to sign their free agents. I mean, I don't believe that stupid report that the Phillies lost $2 billion or whatever made up number some d00d at the Post cooked up, but they're clearly not trying to take on too much more salary right now if Realmuto walks.
right, they're in a shitty situation

it's either "win now" or complete rebuild

complete rebuild would be tough because of Harper's ridiculous contract

right, they're in a shitty situation

it's either "win now" or complete rebuild

complete rebuild would be tough because of Harper's ridiculous contract
They made "win-now" moves two years ago by trading for Realmuto and Segura, then signing Harper, and then them made some dumb "win-now" moves this past year by trading for relievers mid-season.

They don't need to rip it down to the studs, but they probably needed a pause for a couple years to get some more talent through the system. I don't think that they're very far off, but I also don't think they have the ammo in the can that a Dombrowski would want to trade away for MLB talent.

They made "win-now" moves two years ago by trading for Realmuto and Segura, then signing Harper, and then them made some dumb "win-now" moves this past year by trading for relievers mid-season.

They don't need to rip it down to the studs, but they probably needed a pause for a couple years to get some more talent through the system. I don't think that they're very far off, but I also don't think they have the ammo in the can that a Dombrowski would want to trade away for MLB talent.
The current Phillies are what happens when you half ass a rebuild.

As a fan who went through a total rebuild...it is worth it.

Phillies tried to still be competitive during a rebuild and still hold on to Howard and Utley and Rollins.....just a complete shitshow.

As a fan who went through a total rebuild...it is worth it.

Phillies tried to still be competitive during a rebuild and still hold on to Howard and Utley and Rollins.....just a complete shitshow.
They've managed to fuck up two rebuilds in less than 10 years. The first one, they held on for too long, and when it came time to rip it all down, there wasn't any value left. This one, they decided to jump the gun on, and it's fallen apart because they didn't have enough pieces in place before they started making big-ticket signings and trades.

James McCann, a catcher with an 86 OPS+, getting a 4-year-deal/$40M from the Mets. Seems like they're putting a lot of faith into a year and one good month versus a career of mediocrity. I wouldn't have gone more than 2 years.

I think he'll rebound from his crappy 2020, but I wouldn't expect a 142 OPS+ again (his season was kinda propped up by his ridiculous first two months).