Tom Brady convicted felon

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00
BRADY INCRIMINATES HIMSELF WITH ACTIONS

Brady Incriminates Himself With Actions | RealClearSports

Most impartial readers found that the Wells Report provided clear-cut evidence (from interviews, phone and electronic communications, and scientific study) that New England Patriots locker room attendant Jim McNally deflated footballs used by the Patriots in the AFL Championship Game to less than the allowed lower limit of 12.5 PSI. Wells also concluded that it was “… more probable than not that Tom Brady was at least generally aware of the inappropriate activities.”

However, the evidence against Brady (as opposed to that against McNally and equipment assistant John Jastremski) was tenuous - until Brady incriminated himself with his own behavior.

Most people would presume that low-level employees would not risk their own necks without approval from above. However, there’s enough ambiguity there that suspending Brady on presumptive grounds alone would have been rather shaky.

But then Tom Brady shot HIMSELF in the foot.

If he had told the investigators, “Yes, I know Jim McNally, and I told him and Jastremski that I like footballs at 12.5 PSI but I had no idea that they deflated the footballs below that,” and turned over his phone and electronic material (which, if he spoke truthfully, would provide no incriminating evidence), there’d have been no real case against him.

Instead, Brady lied about knowing McNally and his responsibilities, and other related matters. He obstructed the investigation by refusing to turn over documents and electronic information (including texts and emails). That should not be taken lightly:

Jurors and investigators may draw compelling inferences of guilt from conduct (for example, flight from a crime scene).

Brady had a chance to make amends after the report was issued. He could have offered a mea culpa, stating that he had lied and obstructed because (insert plausible reason) but that he had done nothing else wrong. Plausible explanations (other than attempting to hide his guilt) would have made Brady’s behavior less or non-incriminating.

But he didn’t come forth, prompting the obvious conclusion that he had no reasonable alternative explanation for his conduct.

Could Brady have been concerned about releasing embarrassing extraneous material to the investigators? No, because the report notes that “… those requests (for texts, emails and phone records) were limited to the subject matter of our investigation … and we offered to allow Brady’s counsel to screen and control the production so that it would be limited strictly to responsive materials.”

That leaves his refusal to turn over the requested material as compelling evidence of guilt. Similarly, there’s no plausible benign explanation for his lies.

Tom Brady provided the strongest evidence against Tom Brady.