TROLLEY PROBLEMS

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 25,000.00
A runaway trolley is going to kill five people. What are the ethical issues surrounding the choice to divert the trolley to a side track where only one person would die?
0b0584bf02449513f879837cc95f19e7e0-09-trolley.rsquare.w700.jpg

the episode of The Good Place with the trolley is really pretty great.

That is assuming facts not in evidence. In all fairness, I say connect both the tracks and let all six of them get killed on the principles of inclusion and equity of outcomes.
are you that averse to making an actual decision that you would rather try to outsmart the scenario?

are you that averse to making an actual decision that you would rather try to outsmart the scenario?
I am wondering why the switchman didn't just untie those people ...

The passengers on the trolley have places to be. Not my fault a bunch of tards got out on some tracks and can’t get off. Stay the course. But any murderer worth a damn would have tied all of them up before the junction

But, really I’d need some details about the tied up people.

The ethical argument is about responsibility of inaction. Also, an excellent place to start a discussion about utilitarian philosoohy.

But, really I’d need some details about the tied up people.
The five people on the main track are:
- a multiple pet owner who lives in a condo
- urban bicyclist
- vegan
- crossfitter
- devout reader of Ayn Rand

the lone person on the side track is a guy who loves quoting Napoleon Dynamite, Swingers, and Tarantino films.

Last edited:
The five people on the main track are:
- a multiple pet owner who lives in a condo
- urban bicyclist
- vegan
- crossfitter
- devout reader of Ayn Rand

the lone person on the side track is a guy who loves quoting Tarantino films.
Then those 5 are getting hit by a trolley.