USA vs Mexico

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00
I have to say that was a superbly entertaining game last night. A bit surreal too with the Anti-Gay chants, bottle throwing, fans on the field, Tata getting a red card. A big penalty save at end.

I, for one, am completely stunned that Mexico fans are still huge pieces of shit.
Serious poor sports. Reyna got hit in the head with a bottle. Later they hit their own player with one too. So is their coach too. Intimidating the ref when looking at VAR. I didn't see Burhalter do that when they got and gaffed their penalty kick.

This TEAM better qualify for the WC. There really is no excuse to not be in the top 2 of Concacaf final round.

3 back line? Me like. Sergeant didn’t do much, we need a solid striker up front. Maybe dike can become that guy? McKennie and adams can be such a anchor in the midfield. We have good young wingbacks. Our back line is shaky. Ream ain’t fucking it. McKenzie is young, obvious bonehead error but that will happen. I liked brooks in the center of a three back, I felt like it gave him the additional coverage to be aggressive, he sniffed out some good balls and cleared and made challenges that needed to be made on a few occasions.

3 back line? Me like. Sergeant didn’t do much, we need a solid striker up front. Maybe dike can become that guy? McKennie and adams can be such a anchor in the midfield. We have good young wingbacks. Our back line is shaky. Ream ain’t fucking it. McKenzie is young, obvious bonehead error but that will happen. I liked brooks in the center of a three back, I felt like it gave him the additional coverage to be aggressive, he sniffed out some good balls and cleared and made challenges that needed to be made on a few occasions.
Aaron Long would probably be the other center back but ruptured his Achilles in May. Bad injury. Worst of the worst. Sargent sucks. Just helped take Werder Bremen to relegation. Bobby Wood Part II. Dike might be the better center back long term. Nearly helped Barnsley get promoted to EPL. Came over on loan from Orlando and lit it up in English Championship for awhile. Brooks is a rock on defense and physical too. Really anchored that tough Wolfsburg defense into UCL. Tim Weah looked really good when he came on for Dest. I didn't realize Weah was part of that Lille team to beat out PSG for Ligue 1 title this season.

Last edited:
Wow….just checked out the highlights. First, a great fight from this squad to push it all out there and grab the win in the end.

What do we expect from Mexico fans? Leopards have spots. They won’t change.
Just lucky both teams got out without a bad injury to one of their players.

I did chuckle at the water bottle thrown at our guy while he argues with the ref. He just dips his head and keeps arguing, and the Mexican player takes it full in the noggin. Ha.

What do we expect from Mexico fans? Leopards have spots. They won’t change.
Just lucky both teams got out without a bad injury to one of their players.
They hate the USA but keep sneaking into our country.

Ok, I went and watched the extended highlights, since I’m not following international summer games too closely yet and missed a HELL of a game.

I like this squad and the young guys they have coming together. We’ve been here before and had it all evaporate, and I damn sure don’t want to see that again. But, promising.

Backline does need some work, but I was fine with both goalies. Horvath was all balls shutting down that PK in stoppage. You know he’s thinking “I stop this one, or I might have to stop many in a few minutes”.

As for both late PKs…..I really didn’t see them. Pulisic was taken down pretty rough, but the contact sure looked incidental to playing the ball to me. And the handball against us….nah. But, if you were going to give the PK to Pulisic earlier you kind of have to here too.

The crowd actions were abhorrent to me. Ridiculous and so wrong. As I mentioned, I’m not up on the games. I heard about fans throwing things on the field and thought the game was in Mexico. Was a little surprised it was in Denver.

Was the super long stoppage time on the 120th because of all the nonsense of fans throwing things on the field?

Ok, I went and watched the extended highlights, since I’m not following international summer games too closely yet and missed a HELL of a game.

I like this squad and the young guys they have coming together. We’ve been here before and had it all evaporate, and I damn sure don’t want to see that again. But, promising.

Backline does need some work, but I was fine with both goalies. Horvath was all balls shutting down that PK in stoppage. You know he’s thinking “I stop this one, or I might have to stop many in a few minutes”.

As for both late PKs…..I really didn’t see them. Pulisic was taken down pretty rough, but the contact sure looked incidental to playing the ball to me. And the handball against us….nah. But, if you were going to give the PK to Pulisic earlier you kind of have to here too.

The crowd actions were abhorrent to me. Ridiculous and so wrong. As I mentioned, I’m not up on the games. I heard about fans throwing things on the field and thought the game was in Mexico. Was a little surprised it was in Denver.

Was the super long stoppage time on the 120th because of all the nonsense of fans throwing things on the field?
Yes super long stoppage time because delay for hand ball free kick drifted into stoppage time. Another delay near end of regulation for anti-Gay chants by Mexico fans. Almost sent teams to locker room. Mexico fans did this too in Semi Final game against Costa Rica also. Another delay near end when numerous "fans" were on the field at one time. I don't know if anyone saw when a "fan" tried to jump the studio team. Might have been at half time. Security was quick on that one.

Yes super long stoppage time because delay for hand ball free kick drifted into stoppage time. Another delay near end of regulation for anti-Gay chants by Mexico fans. Almost sent teams to locker room. Mexico fans did this too in Semi Final game against Costa Rica also. Another delay near end when numerous "fans" were on the field at one time. I don't know if anyone saw when a "fan" tried to jump the studio team. Might have been at half time. Security was quick on that one.
It’s a rough place for the refs to be in. You don’t want to catch hell from Mexico if you cut short any chance for them to level to penalties. But, player safety too. Tough balance in that environment.

I know, it could easily be seen what fans were doing the disturbance, so fuck any stoppage time to try to get back level. But, that’s not the refs decision to make (though teams safety is and that was dicey).

Wasn’t there an announcement not long ago from FIFA or one of the regional orgs that the homophobic chants would count as penalties against the home team? Not really applicable here I guess, as the chants were coming from the visiting teams shithead fans.

It’s a rough place for the refs to be in. You don’t want to catch hell from Mexico if you cut short any chance for them to level to penalties. But, player safety too. Tough balance in that environment.

I know, it could easily be seen what fans were doing the disturbance, so fuck any stoppage time to try to get back level. But, that’s not the refs decision to make (though teams safety is and that was dicey).

Wasn’t there an announcement not long ago from FIFA or one of the regional orgs that the homophobic chants would count as penalties against the home team? Not really applicable here I guess, as the chants were coming from the visiting teams shithead fans.
There was and they were doing it the whole game Mexico vs Costa Rica semi final and did nothing til end. Waiting to end to stop game for a bit.

FYI: just realized USA playing Costa Rica tomorrow 4 PM PST. Burhalter wanted 3 games, because in fall WC Qualifying will be 3 games instead of 2 in a row during international break so getting the team used to that now. No better CONCACAF opponent other than Mexico than Costa Rica to play against also now.

Reactions: Me
There was and they were doing it the whole game Mexico vs Costa Rica semi final and did nothing til end. Waiting to end to stop game for a bit.

FYI: just realized USA playing Costa Rica tomorrow 4 PM PST. Burhalter wanted 3 games, because in fall WC Qualifying will be 3 games instead of 2 in a row during international break so getting the team used to that now. No better CONCACAF opponent other than Mexico than Costa Rica to play against also now.
If they can come out and be effective and confident then the score doesn’t matter here. But, it’s good friendly competition. Let’s see what we can figure out against them and use later when it matters.

Tim Ream sucks balls and should not get another start

Horvath - insane performance by a GK off the bench

McKennie was a boss. He should be able to anchor the midfield for a long time to come

They were able to ID the guy that beaned Reyna in the noggin with a drink. Banned for life from Mile High and faces criminal charges.

Wow Costa Rica really has deterioted as a club. Not much there anymore. I think that is 11 straight games without a win. Pretty good result from mostly the B-Team USA other than a couple A-teamers like Tyler Adams and a couple others. Dike > Sargent long term I think. Aaronson has a great future. Looking very good since he went over to Salzburg and looked good tonight.

Last edited:
Wow Costa Rica really has deterioted as a club. Not much there anymore. I think that is 11 straight games without a win. Pretty good result from mostly the B-Team USA other than a couple A-teamers like Tyler Adams and a couple others. Dike > Sargent long term I think. Aaronson has a great future. Looking very good since he went over to Salzburg and looked good tonight.
I was hopeful we could sort out some direct starter questions against this level of talent. But I didn’t expect the competition to be so weak (unless they were going B squad too?)

Still, sounds like they might have been able to get some read on depth questions for the main squad.

I was hopeful we could sort out some direct starter questions against this level of talent. But I didn’t expect the competition to be so weak (unless they were going B squad too?)

Still, sounds like they might have been able to get some read on depth questions for the main squad.
Supposedly Costa Rica played many of the players from the Mexico game. Joel Campbell played, but no Brian Ruiz or Navaz. McKennie, Pulisic, Brooks did not play and Reyna and Dest had curtain calls.

Supposedly Costa Rica played many of the players from the Mexico game. Joel Campbell played, but no Brian Ruiz or Navaz. McKennie, Pulisic, Brooks did not play and Reyna and Dest had curtain calls.
So it really doesn’t sound like it was any kind of a read for either team.

Aside from the fact that I like Burkhalter setting it up with so many games close together so the whole squad can get used to it….this just sounds like a waste. Even for a friendly.

So it really doesn’t sound like it was any kind of a read for either team.

Aside from the fact that I like Burkhalter setting it up with so many games close together so the whole squad can get used to it….this just sounds like a waste. Even for a friendly.
I wouldn't call it a waste. Nice to see they did not fall flat on their face after the Mexico high. These are the teams they will have to play come WC Qualifying. Looking at this now and 4 years ago, hard to see them not qualify for World Cup.

Arsenal interested in Tyler Adams. Why go there, when next season you are playing in UCL at Leipzig. Jesse Marsch coaching you or ....... Michel Arteta......no!