Was the CFP money split designed to keep the ACC together?

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00
This is something I wrote over on Rivals:

As many of you may know, I follow the conference and CFP expansion subject closely. For some reason, it intrigues me. This is a way too long post about why FSU's and Clemson's chances of getting into the P2 took a big blow with the way the CFP money is distributed.

;TLDR - because CFP money is distributed by percentage and not based on participation, FSU and Clemson can't come close to driving enough revenue to earn a full share from either conference.

I've written several detailed articles here about what drives money in CFB. While it used to be grabbing markets for linear cable money - see, Rutgers, Maryland, ATM, and Missouri - that source of revenue is drying up. Revenue is primarily driven by (1) TV Viewership - the number of people watching games, and hence advertisements; (2) CFP revenue, now up to $1.3 billion per year; and (3) linear cable deals, which, again, is a shrinking revenue source. In determining whether a P2 conference would want you in the conference, you better be able to drive enough revenue to earn your share or the teams in those conferences won't be willing to take a pay cut to let you in.

The TV money has been set with new contracts written for the SEC, B1G, and B12. The ACC is stuck in an outdated agreement that favors ESPN. And after 100 years of existence, the PAC collapsed because they couldn't get a TV deal.

Because the CFP contract was coming up for re-negotiation in 2026, that was the next big source of revenue. While there is a TV revenue gap between the B1G/SEC and the ACC/B12, the CFP contract was what was really going to blow open the difference between the P2 and the lower-P2. With OU/TX/USC/UO/UW moving to the P2, it was clear they were going to get even more teams into the CFP and therefore get more money, increasing the revenue gap.

I was thinking the other day that it was really weird that they didn't follow the March Madness (MM) method of splitting revenue - splitting based on shares a team gets for getting into MM, and then more shares as they win. That made a ton of sense as it rewards merit. If we had a CFP-12 instead of a CFP-4, the B1G would have had 39 teams get in, the SEC would have had 35, and the ACC and B1G would have had less than 10 each. It made sense to give out shares to each conference for each team that got in and each team that advanced. The result would have been roughly the same ... the B1G and SEC would have gotten the lion's share of money with the SEC getting the most due to winning more often, then the B1G for getting more teams in, the ACC next, and the B12 in 4th. But they didn't do it that way. Instead, there are no participation/results rewards. The P2 each gets a certain percentage no matter how many or who gets in. The ACC next, then the B12.

That was a long way to get to my point - giving out CFP shares in that manner is a deal breaker for FSU and Clemson getting into the SEC or the B1G. If we start with the proposition that P2 teams aren't going to take less per team each year to let FSU and Clemson in, then each of those schools needs to be able to generate $65 million in TV dollars, and another $25 million or so of CFP dollars. Let's say their viewership is such that they can generate enough value to earn a TV dollar share. They would have argued that they would get into the CFP often enough to generate additional shares and more revenue. But, that's not how the money is distributed. The SEC and the B1G will get the percentage of CFP money with or without Clemson and FSU. They provide no incremental value to those two conferences because they get their money whether they put 2 teams or 5 teams in. They will put in an average of 4 teams each year, and both conferences already have plenty of good teams to fill those slots. No one cares if the 4th SEC team is Ole Miss or Clemson, Wisconsin or FSU.

Because they provide no incremental revenue from the CFP pool, FSU and Clemson lost a major bargaining chip in trying to convince the SEC or B1G that they should get into the P2 for a full share. Aside from the likelihood of straight up losing their litigation, even if the win there is a serious question as to whether they have a landing spot in the P2.

Maybe the BIG and SEC really want to stay where they are and see what happens before they jump into something else.

If it were me, I would want to watch it for a few years before I did any more.
And since nothing seems to be 'urgent' right at the moment, let it play out.

Maybe the BIG and SEC really want to stay where they are and see what happens before they jump into something else.

Totally ... we are having a hell of a time getting to 9 IC games due to an extra loss. No way the mid to lower teams like UF want two more losses most years. CFB is crazy right now. All we need is to have to deal with more conference expansion. No one wants that except Clemson and FSU.

yeah i agree with being patient right now.. I think the death of the PAC caught everyone off guard.. I bet within 2 years the LA schools, Oregon and Udub are all going to miss it.. same for Utah, AZ, ASU and CU..

yeah i agree with being patient right now.. I think the death of the PAC caught everyone off guard.. I bet within 2 years the LA schools, Oregon and Udub are all going to miss it.. same for Utah, AZ, ASU and CU..

It was done for stability. No one wanted to be in the position WSU/OSU are in.

Can’t do anything until the lawsuits are settled

I still think Chip Kelly made a good point when he offered the idea of football conferences being different from your other sports conferences.

USC football can travel to Columbus no problem. In fact, probably make a ton of money doing so. USC soccer making that trip just doesn't make sense.

If you split off football and basketball into their own mega conferences but left your non-revenue generating programs in their old regional conferences I think that makes the most sense from a travel/expense perspective.

I still think Chip Kelly made a good point when he offered the idea of football conferences being different from your other sports conferences.

USC football can travel to Columbus no problem. In fact, probably make a ton of money doing so. USC soccer making that trip just doesn't make sense.

If you split off football and basketball into their own mega conferences but left your non-revenue generating programs in their old regional conferences I think that makes the most sense from a travel/expense perspective.
Agree 100%. I’ve thought that made sense all along. It happens a lot in other sports that aren’t near as big as football. DBU plays D1 baseball (and competes very well) but are in completely different/lower level conferences for other sports.

And other than ND, who can bring enough ($65-70 million) media revenue to the table in order to keep or increase the per school share?

I don't agree with his Apple league and Amazon league ... he's wrong there. And, how do you fund all the other sports if football stands on its own?

From a travel perspective, it makes all the sense in the world.

What did they think was going to happen?
i'm sure they figured it was something that was going to happen down the road, but that thing took off

I can't see these "Super Conferences" being more than a short-termed failed experiment.

Too many parties with too many conflicting interests will emerge. One group will feel someone else is slighting them while another feels certain entities are receiving more than their fair share.

Just remembering what happened when the Big 8 and SWC combined into the Big 12.

Who is still there that started that conference? Maybe 5 of them?

I foresee a not-that-distant future where these super conferences split up when they get too big.

I can't see these "Super Conferences" being more than a short-termed failed experiment.

Too many parties with too many conflicting interests will emerge. One group will feel someone else is slighting them while another feels certain entities are receiving more than their fair share.

Just remembering what happened when the Big 8 and SWC combined into the Big 12.

Who is still there that started that conference? Maybe 5 of them?

I foresee a not-that-distant future where these super conferences split up when they get too big.
Thing is.. the SWC and Big8 joined because they had to out of necessity, not because they wanted to.

I do know UT and ou were looking to leave.. they did the other members that stayed after 2011 a solid before bouncing.

I don't agree with his Apple league and Amazon league ... he's wrong there. And, how do you fund all the other sports if football stands on its own?

From a travel perspective, it makes all the sense in the world.
In theory the football revenue would increase and it would be used to supplement the other sports as it does now.

Football would just compete differently than the other sports. For example the ACC basketball schedule would be the same but the football would be its own animal but internal Atheletic budgets would still remain the same and integrated.

The issue is (for example) UCLA and USC that compete in the B1G for football then who does the softball team play since the whole point would be not to have those teams travel. A perfect world the old PAC would just start playing each other in the other sports but that isn't going to happen due to politics and it being more advantageous for some of the school to actually travel within the Big 12. That is what stops this from happening because there isn't a solution.

I'd be surprised if former PAC teams would play USC, UCLA or Washington in any sport going forward. I could be wrong there but I wouldn't give them a game.

In theory the football revenue would increase and it would be used to supplement the other sports as it does now.

Football would just compete differently than the other sports. For example the ACC basketball schedule would be the same but the football would be its own animal but internal Atheletic budgets would still remain the same and integrated.

The issue is (for example) UCLA and USC that compete in the B1G for football then who does the softball team play since the whole point would be not to have those teams travel. A perfect world the old PAC would just start playing each other in the other sports but that isn't going to happen due to politics and it being more advantageous for some of the school to actually travel within the Big 12. That is what stops this from happening because there isn't a solution.

I'd be surprised if former PAC teams would play USC, UCLA or Washington in any sport going forward. I could be wrong there but I wouldn't give them a game.
i think that would have been the smarter way but with how college athletics are run by different ADs and Presidents.. this was never going to play out with everyone fighting for a chair before the music stopped.

But I agree.. had CFB been a separate monster from the other sports.. conferences wouldn't have had to die.

<snip>
I'm not sure that USC, UCLA, Washington or Oregon really would want to schedule those "former PAC teams" anyway.

In most instances, I'm okay with..

burninbridgeshomer-ani.gif

:pop2::martini:

First this only applies to idiot conferences that decided to go coast to coast. Don't fuck up the SEC because they are a bunch of dumbasses and didn't think this through.

Second, quit compounding the problem. Don't grab FSU, Miami, Clemson, and UNC, which would make the problem worse and then crying even more.

Finally, here are some ideas that they should consider before making everyone else change to facilitate their problem:

- They should have taken Cal and Stanford, making 6 in the West, and then run regional pods where most games are played. With unbalanced schedules in pods, you limit travel. They will still have to do that, but it won't be as clean with USC, UCLA, UO, UW, NE, and Iowa as a pod or something like that.

- Establish B1G Athletic campuses on the east and west coast, as well as in the mid-west. Buildings and dorms where the students stay and study while on 2-3 week tours in the other geographical areas. When it is time to play the West teams, fly to the B1G West Campus, stay in the dorms, go to class, and study at the study facilities.

The first you can't do, but they should have. The second will cost a lot of money, but they have a lot of money, and instead of totally upending all of CFB as it has been for over a century, they can handle their problems that way.

First this only applies to idiot conferences that decided to go coast to coast. Don't fuck up the SEC because they are a bunch of dumbasses and didn't think this through.

Second, quit compounding the problem. Don't grab FSU, Miami, Clemson, and UNC, which would make the problem worse and then crying even more.

Finally, here are some ideas that they should consider before making everyone else change to facilitate their problem:

- They should have taken Cal and Stanford, making 6 in the West, and then run regional pods where most games are played. With unbalanced schedules in pods, you limit travel. They will still have to do that, but it won't be as clean with USC, UCLA, UO, UW, NE, and Iowa as a pod or something like that.

- Establish B1G Athletic campuses on the east and west coast, as well as in the mid-west. Buildings and dorms where the students stay and study while on 2-3 week tours in the other geographical areas. When it is time to play the West teams, fly to the B1G West Campus, stay in the dorms, go to class, and study at the study facilities.

The first you can't do, but they should have. The second will cost a lot of money, but they have a lot of money, and instead of totally upending all of CFB as it has been for over a century, they can handle their problems that way.
How about buying them their own fleet of planes?
1711729371459.png