What's the difference between a Chevelle and a Malibu

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 18,000.00
Seems like everyone has a different answer.

I lived thru it, and still can't tell you.

Anyone??

Seems like everyone has a different answer.

I lived thru it, and still can't tell you.

Anyone??
I didn’t live through it but have read up. Way I always read it the Malibu was initially a trim package off the Chevelle. Same deal with the Caprice (maybe the Monte Carlo too??). They did so well they became their own models

One is a mediocre band?

The answer is just as murky as I expected, but it’s here. I was wrong in what I always believed....that Malibu was a trim package under Chevelle. It was actually the other way around.

History can be so revisionist sometimes, and this is a case. Everyone knows Chevelle now....but that was only because that was how these cars landed by the mid 70s....so everyone just calls them Chevelles.

Don;'t see the answer there, but oddly enough, one of the two muscle cars I owned (both '72 Chevy's) was a Chevelle Malibu.

A Malibu was just a trim package of the Chevelle, and it was basically the grocery-getter version. So mine was a bench site, auto on the column originally, later converted to a 383 Stroker with bench seats and a four-on-the-floor.
Yeah. I thought they were one in the same. I owned a 1970 Chevelle Malibu

Yeah. I thought they were one in the same. I owned a 1970 Chevelle Malibu
I loved the double-headlight styling of the 1970 Chevelle and El Camino.

Man, do I miss being in SoCal and having the Route 66 Car Show in San Bernardino every year in September. I'd ride up on the motorcycle and spend 10-12 hours on a Saturday seeing the largest classic American car show in the world. I'd hit the beer garden at opening at about 11, pace myself and be perfectly buzzed all day talking to owners of cars I loved and generally having a helluva time, though it would be 117F in the shade.

Back when I had more money than I knew what to do with, I almost bought a '71 4-4-2 one Saturday in San Bernardino but unfortunately listened to the little voice telling me "you're drunk, you dumb son of a bitch. Get the guy's number, call him on Monday." Did that and it was long gone on Monday. :L

Man, do I miss being in SoCal and having the Route 66 Car Show in San Bernardino every year in September. I'd ride up on the motorcycle and spend 10-12 hours on a Saturday seeing the largest classic American car show in the world. I'd hit the beer garden at opening at about 11, pace myself and be perfectly buzzed all day talking to owners of cars I loved and generally having a helluva time, though it would be 117F in the shade.

Back when I had more money than I knew what to do with, I almost bought a '71 4-4-2 one Saturday in San Bernardino but unfortunately listened to the little voice telling me "you're drunk, you dumb son of a bitch. Get the guy's number, call him on Monday." Did that and it was long gone on Monday. :facepalm:
Not knowing anything about the price it was set to sell at I will say you missed there. A 4-4-2 is such a beast and they can own their price and appreciate quite well. Plus it would have been fun as hell to drive.

Back when I had more money than I knew what to do with, I almost bought a '71 4-4-2 one Saturday in San Bernardino but unfortunately listened to the little voice telling me "you're drunk, you dumb son of a bitch. Get the guy's number, call him on Monday." Did that and it was long gone on Monday. :facepalm:
We don’t have the largest car shows in the world but Mecum has a pretty big one just up the street every year. It is Jan-Feb timeframe so it’s no where near 117 degrees out. Lol

Its nothing but a great day strolling through hundreds of classic cars.

Not knowing anything about the price it was set to sell at I will say you missed there. A 4-4-2 is such a beast and they can own their price and appreciate quite well. Plus it would have been fun as hell to drive.
If it had been in Viking Blue, I'd have bought it on the spot. I don't remember how much he wanted now but it felt too low and he seemed desperate. The three brain cells I had left were telling me to walk away, especially since I already had the '72 C10 (at the time needed paint) and the '72 Chevelle, which was in project stage.

If it had been in Viking Blue, I'd have bought it on the spot. I don't remember how much he wanted now but it felt too low and he seemed desperate. The three brain cells I had left were telling me to walk away, especially since I already had the '72 C10 (at the time needed paint) and the '72 Chevelle, which was in project stage.
Ah....two other cars already. Yeah. I would have walked too. The desperation from seller just means you need to do more due diligence....something a motivated seller hasn’t got time for lol

I drove a '72 Nova in high school and could tell the difference between a Nova and a Chevelle based on their back windows, but never really had to tell the difference between a Malibu and a Chevelle.

Was the answer in there somewhere???
It's clear as mud

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield
Issa Rae Reaction GIF
Looking Let Me Think GIF by TipsyElves.com

Malibu is just an upscale Chevelle.

My father-in-law had a 1969, 4 door Beaumont sedan.

Had a 350 in it with a 4 bbl.

Just like this one.

69 bowmont c769.jpg

Chevelle was the line name. Malibu was a model in that line. It was the sport package that contained the SS396.

For model years 1964-1972, all Malibus are Chevelles, but not all Chevelles are Malibus.