Who are car companies marketing to these days?

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,256.00
It's been a solid year now where car prices are ridiculous and just way over the top. Looking into a full size pickup truck, from the years 2018-2022 you are looking at spending 65k+. New pickup trucks are $90,000 LOL. Who is buying this??? I love how Chevrolet, Ford and Dodge try to be blue collar with their trucks and who they market to, but not sure of many middle class hard working individuals who can either afford, or are going to spend 90k for a truck. Are people really buying at these prices or taking out loans for these cars?? I can't imagine people actually spending 70-90k for a common vehicle, yet you go to the dealership lots and they are empty.

It's been a solid year now where car prices are ridiculous and just way over the top. Looking into a full size pickup truck, from the years 2018-2022 you are looking at spending 65k+. New pickup trucks are $90,000 LOL. Who is buying this??? I love how Chevrolet, Ford and Dodge try to be blue collar with their trucks and who they market to, but not sure of many middle class hard working individuals who can either afford, or are going to spend 90k for a truck. Are people really buying at these prices or taking out loans for these cars?? I can't imagine people actually spending 70-90k for a common vehicle, yet you go to the dealership lots and they are empty.
People using trucks for work aren't looking at the $90k F150 platinum 4x4. They are looking at the XLT model which is more affordable. Trucks are more and more being marketed to the "soccer dad" crowd looking for pavement princesses.

People using trucks for work aren't looking at the $90k F150 platinum 4x4. They are looking at the XLT model which is more affordable. Trucks are more and more being marketed to the "soccer dad" crowd looking for pavement princesses.
HA! true. But even your average build, Silverado 2500 or Dodge 2500 are in the 75k range. For even an every day commuter that is ridiculous.

HA! true. But even your average build, Silverado 2500 or Dodge 2500 are in the 75k range. For even an every day commuter that is ridiculous.
Oh I agree. But if you have a need for a 3/4 ton then that's what you have to pay. Or get a diesel that's a few years old.

Also chip shortages and used car shortages are driving new car prices up.

I had a 2018 ram dually crew cab 4 x4 cummins I bought new. Didn't need it anymore when I sold the 5th wheel rv and went to the diesel pusher. Sold it and got more than I paid for it brand new.

Not sure who the intended audience is but do like the Walter the cat Chevy commercials.

I find it funny that GM thinks turning your tailgate into a chest high laptop holder is a selling feature.

Dealers won't carry the regular pickups or base models because there's not much money in it.

I couldn't get what I wanted on the lots, not going to pay that kind of money, so in 2019 I special ordered an F250 Super Duty with the STX package. Had everything I wanted on it, but I don't need a lot.

Listed for 40K and I paid less than that.
Took 14 weeks to get here.

Not sure you can even do that today with the inventory problems

There were plenty on the lot at $60k +, but fuck that.

Oh I agree. But if you have a need for a 3/4 ton then that's what you have to pay. Or get a diesel that's a few years old.

Also chip shortages and used car shortages are driving new car prices up.
A 25 year old 12 valve Cummins in half ass decent shape will sell for more now than it cost when it was brand new. Shit’s ridiculous. And if you want an old, small truck, those 30 year old Toyota’s/Dakotas/s-10’s/Rangers are selling for over 5 grand now