Why are there no more bands?

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,256.00
Thinking this today as I was listening to some classic rock and the absolutely amazing music the 60's and 70's produced and reading back stories to the songs and I got thinking, why are there no bands like these today? Today's new music consists of single artists and the only recent history of "bands" is immediately labeled "Boy bands".

Which made me think of another question of if a new band did form, like those of the 60s and 70s, if they would just be lumped into the "boy band" label.

But besides sort of the underground music scene, I dont hear about any bands, main stream music just doesnt have bands anymore and it is too bad.

And much like the 60s and 70s, there is a ton going on to give such band great material.

Auto-tune, ProTools, and trap beats for starters. Plus most mainstream music isn’t actually written by artists, it’s written, poorly in my opinion, by groups of producers.

Hopefully, it changes. I’m Gen-X, and I’m not sure what happened with Millenials and music, but both of my kids (Gen-Z) and their generation seems to be wanting better. To quote my 19 year old daughter, who is a music major, as well as a singer and musician, “Everything on the radio now is shit”.

And I'm loving the 80s throwback quality of this...

Lots of good metal bands still out there, old and new.
Luckily, except for Metallica in the early 90s, metal has never been mainstream.

Good bands and music is still very much a thing. The way popular music is produced and distributed and consumed is just vastly different.

You have to look harder for the music you like, but it’s also way more accessible when you find it.

Wow Applause GIF by Spotify

Good bands and music is still very much a thing. The way popular music is produced and distributed and consumed is just vastly different.

You have to look harder for the music you like, but it’s also way more accessible when you find it.

this + a million

I don't even listen to the new age music anymore. I find myself listening to country and classic rock, that's it.

And I agree about singers don't even write their own music anymore, that's a major problem. There is zero connection to the song for that singer. These older bands wrote their own music, it meant something to them. Nowadays it's just handed to them on a piece of paper and they sing it and get paid. No effort into their work besides singing it.

Seems like in the 1960's and early 1970's there were garage bands all over the place trying to make it. I'm not even sure that's a thing any more.

But lets be honest. There was a lot of filler crap on albums back then just like there is now.
The classic rock we listen to is the best of the best. They never play that crappy filler song off that great album.

I don't even listen to the new age music anymore. I find myself listening to country and classic rock, that's it.

And I agree about singers don't even write their own music anymore, that's a major problem. There is zero connection to the song for that singer. These older bands wrote their own music, it meant something to them. Nowadays it's just handed to them on a piece of paper and they sing it and get paid. No effort into their work besides singing it.
That's why I was thinking too that there is plenty of material for singers to sing about these days, just like back in the 60s and 70s. So many great songs and bands became popular with their songs about the Vietnam war. God forbid any of these artists today have an original thought and spill their emotions into their music to sing about something they are passionate about with what is going on in today's world.

Seems like in the 1960's and early 1970's there were garage bands all over the place trying to make it. I'm not even sure that's a thing any more.

But lets be honest. There was a lot of filler crap on albums back then just like there is now.
The classic rock we listen to is the best of the best. They never play that crappy filler song off that great album.
Agree in some ways, there are some Rolling Stone songs that are easily skippable, but still I'd say each album they produced 70% or better of their songs were good to great.

I'd say Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers albums were about 95% all easily listenable.

CCR, don't know if they had a single skippable song on any of their albums.

But sure, they all had their filler songs that you could skip, but the good ones they produced are timeless classics. You don't get that quality today.

There is still great music, they all just said fuck you to major labels and a dying radio industry.
I don't actively search music sites to find these hidden bands, I simply don't have the time in my spare time to search for good music. Way easier just to tell Alexa to play The Rolling Stones.

Thinking this today as I was listening to some classic rock and the absolutely amazing music the 60's and 70's produced and reading back stories to the songs and I got thinking, why are there no bands like these today? Today's new music consists of single artists and the only recent history of "bands" is immediately labeled "Boy bands".

Which made me think of another question of if a new band did form, like those of the 60s and 70s, if they would just be lumped into the "boy band" label.

But besides sort of the underground music scene, I dont hear about any bands, main stream music just doesnt have bands anymore and it is too bad.
...the Foo Fighters JUST RELEASED A NEW ALBUM days ago, but I feel you.

If you look at the Billboard Top 100 songs right now you see what you're talking about. I only counted two "bands" on it, the rest are "artists" or "artists collaborating with other artists". From pop country to top 40 its pervasive...but that's just what is on the radio or Spotify/Pandora/Apple/Tidal whathaveyou. There is so much music outside of the mass appeal media offerings, you just gotta dig.

I think Nickleback like broke up or some shit so you may be screwed.