TV Series Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00
@HammerDown, you watching this? Actually pretty fun. I dig the casting.

This will be the only time you ever hear me say...Adrian Brody is the perfect casting. It's eerie how much he resembles a young Pat Riley!?

Been a good binge so far, but annoying it was not released in its entirety.

This will be the only time you ever hear me say...Adrian Brody is the perfect casting. It's eerie how much he resembles a young Pat Riley!?

Season 6 What GIF by Paramount+

YOU CREATED A THREAD?!

Wut dis bout?

Been meaning to make a thread on this but never did.

Been catching it every Monday since it started. It’s….better than it was when it started.

It’s not a documentary (and I never presumed it was) but in “bending” the truth to support a story they have really shit on some folks. I don’t mind it, but it’s notable.

First few episodes are totally worth the watch but just getting the show on its legs. The last few have been fantastic, especially the one on Kareem.

The casting of the main guys is pretty good. Magic looks like Magic (smile and all). Reilly has Dr Buss’ look down. The guy they got to play Kareem really looks like Kareem. Michael Cooper too. Julius from Remember the Titans plays Spencer Haywood and looks the part. Michael Chickless as Red….it’s close enough.

After that the casting falls a little (mentioned above about Pryor from this weeks show). But they’ve got the main guys down.

Larry finally shows up next week.

Just about to post the same. He's got the voice down to a T
One of the best impressions I’ve heard. Would be a couple of $10k in surgery to look like him though.

Show renewed for a 2nd season

Episode 7 was good fun….though some of the complete rewriting of game outcomes for drama is getting thin. I can literally look at the Lakers season online and see what was real.

That said….I’m ok with the switch up of making the first matchup between these teams in Boston (it was actually the first meeting in LA). They really lean into the raw and (yes) racial aspects of the Boston fan. Take that for what you want…..it’s either gross woke signaling, or just too good of a raw drama to pass up on. I’ll give them the pass on the drama aspect.

Liking the kid they got to play Bird. I’m not sure if Larry was as brusque as he showed in 1980 as the press conference showed…but it’s well known how he talked on the court, and in great display here.

It’s not The Last Dance….it’s drama based on a true story….and it’s still a fun ride.

Saw this on Reddit today. Kareem has spoken.

Look, read it for how you want considering the polarizing character of the writer. For me….I like the approach and the writing. I like having a read from a main character that was there.

Do I think he never told the kid actor from Airplane to “fuck off”? I do. Do I think that means he never told a kid anything like that when asking for an autograph? Nope. Kareem’s self admitted shyness and lack of desire to deal with the public leads to these being possible. With his charity of course he’s going to try to manage this narrative.

I liked his point on the players being caricatures, and how this could be an opportunity to use the sacrificing of historical accuracy to tell a deeper truth. And I agree that this show is missing that mark due to the lure of even more drama.

And I’m still hobbling up every episode that comes out.

Episode 8 felt like stronger fire than the last few episodes.

OK….so we really don’t know a whole lot of how the coaching situation played out in early 1980….so they are very free to play with this. Jack might come across as a real dick, but his all time goal is on the line.

That scene at the end with West and Magic was pure fire!!

And, finally, did they just take a swipe at a Me Too on Dr Buss? Very weird considering his mother died in 1977 on real life. Would not have been a nurse at this point. Was a creepy damn scene though.

Pretty good finish to the first season of this show. They stuck mostly to reality, though couldn’t help putting some nonsense in there too for drama. It was nice to finally see an episode that was almost fully focused on court.