Wood burning

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 891.00
Anyone ever try this? I bought a kit to fuck around with and unfortunately one of the tips broke off while I was using it, so I had to use the base to finish about half of this, hence why it looks like there is a bunch of circles in there.

Anyway, despite it breaking, this was my first go around and the stencil didn't take very well at all, so I basically freehanded this.

20220321_093532.jpg

here is the original
1647910556515.png

Anyone ever try this? I bought a kit to fuck around with and unfortunately one of the tips broke off while I was using it, so I had to use the base to finish about half of this, hence why it looks like there is a bunch of circles in there.

Anyway, despite it breaking, this was my first go around and the stencil didn't take very well at all, so I basically freehanded this.

View attachment 65634

here is the original
View attachment 65635
Looks cool to me!

Did this as a kid with grandpa in his workshop. But it’s been awhile.

turned out good

Looks cool to me!

Did this as a kid with grandpa in his workshop. But it’s been awhile.
Thanks. Yeah, I didn't think it turned out too bad, especially under those circumstances.

I had bought some kit from Costco, apparently the quality isn't strong lol. Might invest in a better iron, or whatever you would call it. I thought about breaking out my soldering iron to finish it up, but thought that might be overkill lol

View attachment 65634

here is the original
View attachment 65635
I can see your impatience grow especially after the tip broke

I can see your impatience grow especially after the tip broke
lol - yeah, I was frustrated once that happened. I cut the tip of a screw off and tried to solder it to the threaded piece still suck in the woodburngin iron so that I could just essentially 'unscrew' it, but it wouldn't take. So I had to use the heated based (where the threaded piece screws in) to color everything in and finish some lines. Given that the base is rounded and much more difficult to see all sides hitting the wood, I messed up a few lines and thickened them a little in an attempt to correct it.

Not great, but not terrible lol.

lol - yeah, I was frustrated once that happened. I cut the tip of a screw off and tried to solder it to the threaded piece still suck in the woodburngin iron so that I could just essentially 'unscrew' it, but it wouldn't take. So I had to use the heated based (where the threaded piece screws in) to color everything in and finish some lines. Given that the base is rounded and much more difficult to see all sides hitting the wood, I messed up a few lines and thickened them a little in an attempt to correct it.

Not great, but not terrible lol.
Reverse flute drill bits ftw in those situations

Reverse flute drill bits ftw in those situations
Yeah, I was in need of that. I tried doing my own makeshift variation lol. I used a super small drill bit to drill into the threaded piece a little ways, then I tried taking one of my smallest (which fit pretty well) allen wrenches and angling it to grip inside the hole I drilled and carefully turning it to remove the piece....

it didn't work lol.

You must be strong as fuck
always-sunny-iggydr.gif

b3e5937e-59de-4601-9f99-22a3c542e4da_200_10.gif

AgitatedMedicalAlaskankleekai-size_restricted.gif

You must be strong as fuck
used needle nose pliers. Probably just poor quality.

On a different note, the wood burning iron info sheet said that it gets up to like 720 degrees F. As I was cleaning iron throughout (while using it as directed on the sheet) the sandpaper slipped out of my hand and I ran my finger along it. I got a little blister, but learned that the heat was so potent that the pain from the burn actually went away almost instantly, within a second (shocking/deadening the nerves) - but about 3 minutes later, I was surely feeling it though lol.

Yeah, I was in need of that. I tried doing my own makeshift variation lol. I used a super small drill bit to drill into the threaded piece a little ways, then I tried taking one of my smallest (which fit pretty well) allen wrenches and angling it to grip inside the hole I drilled and carefully turning it to remove the piece....

it didn't work lol.
Screenshot_20220321-202146.png

Oh I will get one eventually lol. Just never needed one til now. I also thought about taking the iron apart just seeing if there was a way around from the inside... need a damn triangle screwdriver bit. Unfucking real... that is like the only kind I don't have lol.

Oh I will get one eventually lol. Just never needed one til now. I also thought about taking the iron apart just seeing if there was a way around from the inside... need a damn triangle screwdriver bit. Unfucking real... that is like the only kind I don't have lol.
View attachment 65641

I had a kit-thing when I was like......9? burnt my fingers and shit too.

We did it in art in Grade 5, 1965 or so? Lot's of hanging over the wood burner thing (sort of a mini soldering iron) , breathing in those healthy fumes.

We were burning what we called at the time Indian war shield or totem pole images. I think I burned a shitty looking bear or some such.

Today it would be billed as a major effort to instruct us in Indigenous Art and the way it expressed itself in tribal cultures and how it is passed down to those that work with it today.

And it wouldn't matter one iota.

I'd still burn some shitty looking bear.