• Chris Sale

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Stephen Strasburg

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • $18 vegan potato salad at Dodger Stadium

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters
WAR is a dumb fucking stat.

Doesn't take WAR to come to the conclusion that a 1B/DH hitting .185/.272/.343 over his final four seasons is a very bad player. And that 2018 season has a legitimate case for being one of the worst individual seasons in MLB history.

Ohtani deferring $68m of his $70m every year, so $680m total.

This is without a doubt the worst contract. Going to take nearly 3/4 of a billion out of Dodger owners pockets right now, and keep it out for 10 years. OUCH.
$680M to be paid out between 2034 and 2043. :think: I can see the headlines now... December 7th, 2033 - Ohtani dies in :airquotes:tragic accident:airquotes:.

$680M to be paid out between 2034 and 2043. :think: I can see the headlines now... December 7th, 2033 - Ohtani dies in :airquotes:tragic accident:airquotes:.
[trying very hard to avoid bringing Hillary comments to the MLB board]

Gotta be the contract that more than the next two highest MLB salaries COMBINED.

I'd say the Texas contract to ARod and the contract for Prince Fielder Texas traded for were up there too. Hamilton with LAA is just hilarious because Moreno is such a moron-o.

I was shocked Detroit was able to get out from most of Fielders deal.

Barry Zito's contract with the Giants was the highest for a pitcher at a time

He went 63-80 with a 4.62 ERA in 7 seasons in San Francisco

Doesn't take WAR to come to the conclusion that a 1B/DH hitting .185/.272/.343 over his final four seasons is a very bad player. And that 2018 season has a legitimate case for being one of the worst individual seasons in MLB history.
Sure, but just think it's a horrible measurement

Sure, but just think it's a horrible measurement

I don't like Baseball-Reference's WAR for position players as much as the FanGraphs version just because bWAR's defensive component seems to spit out outlandish numbers in small sample sizes and they sometimes differ drastically from other metrics, Rojas is a prime example. To be +15 in DRS in a full season would be great... but 59 games? That's ridiculous. I prefer UZR over DRS and while UZR still rates Rojas as a very solid defensive player, it's more realistic (12.1 UZR/150). FanGraphs has him at 1.4 WAR.

4 pages and not one mention of Anthony Rendon.

@moxie ‘s and @williewilliejuan ’s Giants are giving a shitload if money to Jorge Soler
14M aav. Not that much. But the Giants are packed with DH types already (Conforto, Flores, Davis, Wade), so I am not thrilled with move. But he does bring the toonder that this team badly needs.

The people who defended the ARod contract failed to understand why it was so bad.

Did ARod put up the numbers in Texas? Yes.

But they also finished in last place in the division every single year he was in Arlington.

Because the Rangers spent so much money on one player, they couldn't afford to add talent around him to make them a contender.

It's the total economics of the situation. Not just the one player.

What about Mike Hampton's contract with the Rockies? He was the highest contract for a pitcher for a long while, and either stunk or was hurt for at least half of it.

The people who defended the ARod contract failed to understand why it was so bad.

Did ARod put up the numbers in Texas? Yes.

But they also finished in last place in the division every single year he was in Arlington.

Because the Rangers spent so much money on one player, they couldn't afford to add talent around him to make them a contender.

It's the total economics of the situation. Not just the one player.

When I look at the total economics of the situation I'm also inclined to wonder if they wouldn't have bought three Chan-Ho Parks instead of just one if they weren't paying A-Rod all of that money to play like a true star. They certainly could have.

When I look at the total economics of the situation I'm also inclined to wonder if they wouldn't have bought three Chan-Ho Parks instead of just one if they weren't paying A-Rod all of that money to play like a true star. They certainly could have.
Or at least afforded something better than Ismael Valdez.

Chan-Ho was supposed to be better than Valdez, there's the rub :wink:
Shannyn Sossamon Cringe GIF

What about Mike Hampton's contract with the Rockies? He was the highest contract for a pitcher for a long while, and either stunk or was hurt for at least half of it.
But his kids had hella good public schools to attend.

Some of you guys are old enough to remember Darren Dreifort. He's definitely a good choice for this.

Some of you guys are old enough to remember Darren Dreifort. He's definitely a good choice for this.

That was a lot of money at the time for a guy coming off three seasons with a 98 ERA+ (104 in 2000).