Jalen Hurts Wants 45 Million Per Year Deal

You have no idea if they have another pandemic in the works.
Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

yeah, they really showed up everyone. No one else has a fully guaranteed multi year contract, and all have QB's better than Watson. :dhd:

A lot more heavy on the guarantee front now.
We will see how Watson does. Cleveland made a huge gamble

I don't know who "they" are that keeps expecting this jump, but we are in a recession and will be at least through 2028. The big money TV contracts are all renewed beyond that. The income is already known, unless you think we will see a >50% jump in all ticket sales/prices in the NFL over the next 4 years. Zero chance in 4 years the salary cap goes up 50%.

We have never seen a 28M jump in the salary cap in a year. The largest by dollar was 2022 when it went up by $25m, the largest in percentage I think is 2006 which was a 20% jump. The two largest years were 2006 and 1998, tied to new CBA's and TV deals. Based on the new Sunday Ticket deal I could see next season it going up $40m (a 20% jump) but that won't happen every year throughout that deal. Sure it will look less bad in a few years, but when you couple the base + accrued cap hit + natural regression due to age and his skillset it's going to be an issue.

But, I also realize I have had this conversation with Eagle fans before. Carson was paid handsomely after his AMVP year and was the future, then Foles was paid well after he won the SB and he would be the future, and now JHurts is AMVP and paid well and he will be the future.

Lol. That's not true at all. Files barely made any money with the Eagles.

I don't think so, but maybe. I took it to mean the Eagles paid him after the SB, which wasn't the case.
Technically they did give him a bonus he hadn't quite earned.

The only time the cap's gone down or stayed flat was 2021 and a blip from 2010-2013 during CBA negotiations. They've got neither a pandemic nor a CBA negotiation coming. If the cap isn't $300 million by 2028 (5% YOY increases is $301M), I'd be surprised.

Even if we start at the $264.4 (speculative number you provided for 2024) and go super conservative with 2% cap increases, that's $270.1M in 2025, $275.5 in '26, $281M in 2027, and $286M in 2028. A $55 million cap number looks obscene now, but it's less than 20% of the $286M cap. They'd obviously like to get that number lower, but that's what the renegotiation is for.
Problem is his cap number in 4 and 5th years won't go down. They will keep converting base to bonus every year and driving that back end cap number up.
I agree it isn't a terrible contract. I think it will be bad based on what he will be able to do in 5 years. Look at Dak. One lower body injury and half his game is taken away.

Didn't he go to Jacksonville right after that SB?
Yeah, I mis-remembered how that went down. I do remember the Eagles made him pay back $2M in bonus money because he didn't pick up his option right after he brought them his first SB. Their fans like to talk about the $1M they paid him for missing the snap count but never about them making him pay back $2M to be a free agent.

Didn't he go to Jacksonville right after that SB?

No, he played another year with the Eagles. He actually turned down a $20 million option and signed for more with the Jags a season after the SB.

2023 cap: $224.8 million. With 7% increases (standard from their previous new TV deal), that's $239.7 in 2024, $256.5 in 2025, $274.4 in 2026, and $293.6 in 2027. 2028 would then be $314.2M.

I don't think that these will be the exact numbers, but this mirrors 2014-2020, where the cap went up roughly 7% (a flat 7% increase from 2014 to 2020 would have led to a 2020 cap of $199.6, it wound up being $198.2, NFL Cap History).

I agree that there is risk, but the Eagles have been willing to take the risk and also do what is necessary to clean it up in the event it doesn't work. So I am content to roll with it.
If I understand correctly basically the eagles just upfront did what other teams do in off season and convert salary to bonus

Cap hit will come due, and eagles probably will have cap hits for him after hes no longer eagle

But hurts seems like a QB id take gamble on.

If I understand correctly basically the eagles just upfront did what other teams do in off season and convert salary to bonus

Cap hit will come due, and eagles probably will have cap hits for him after hes no longer eagle

But hurts seems like a QB id take gamble on.

Pretty much, yeah. Roseman seems to like paying guys with voidable years so they can spread the hits out for a year or two after they leave. It's a calculated risk, and it hasn't really blown up on him yet. Definitely got lucky that they had Hurts when Wentz blew up, and they most likely won't have that if Hurts goes south. But he seems like the guy to roll the dice on.

I don't know who "they" are that keeps expecting this jump, but we are in a recession and will be at least through 2028. The big money TV contracts are all renewed beyond that. The income is already known, unless you think we will see a >50% jump in all ticket sales/prices in the NFL over the next 4 years. Zero chance in 4 years the salary cap goes up 50%.

We have never seen a 28M jump in the salary cap in a year. The largest by dollar was 2022 when it went up by $25m, the largest in percentage I think is 2006 which was a 20% jump. The two largest years were 2006 and 1998, tied to new CBA's and TV deals. Based on the new Sunday Ticket deal I could see next season it going up $40m (a 20% jump) but that won't happen every year throughout that deal. Sure it will look less bad in a few years, but when you couple the base + accrued cap hit + natural regression due to age and his skillset it's going to be an issue.

But, I also realize I have had this conversation with Eagle fans before. Carson was paid handsomely after his AMVP year and was the future, then Foles was paid well after he won the SB and he would be the future, and now JHurts is AMVP and paid well and he will be the future.
Record dollar increase, record percentage increase, and more than front offices and salary cap websites projected.

A 1/4 of the starting QBs are already getting 40 million or >.

I know nobody at this site actually follows sports, but it’s the truth. You guys will have to just trust me.

When you add in the number of them that are on their first contract still and would be getting 40+ otherwise that percentage goes ever higher