2024 Coaching Carousel

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00
Figured Id get this going now with the DePaul opening already happening. So we can post all job openings here as they come

Very curious what people think will come of this next DePaul hiring. Reports say they are gonna swing for it. Anyone who follows hoops know they used to be a great program and reside in a hot bed of talent. But two decades of total embarrassment is a lot. Will they finally hit on a hire? Who?

Pretty much all the names that we speculated immediately.

Moser has to be the first call. Not sure he pulls the trigger with his OU success. But hes from there, has made it known he whats to coach in the area, wanted and almost go the Marquette job.

Hurley is interesting. Jury is out on how good he is but no one wins at ASU so...But would he want to coach at the bottom feeder while his bro runs the league??

Wade. No chance. Not happening.

Drew. Worth the shot. Not proven at the high major level but also hasnt had a good high major gig and may look for a better chance.

Indiana State coach has potential but I think DePaul needs to try and get a name. Wardle due to his knowledge of the area and a top player he could bring with is decent.

Question is basically can they get a Moser/Hurley/Drew and also are those 3 even good enough names to turn around DePaul. Cant see them getting anything better than them tho

Figured Id get this going now with the DePaul opening already happening. So we can post all job openings here as they come

Very curious what people think will come of this next DePaul hiring. Reports say they are gonna swing for it. Anyone who follows hoops know they used to be a great program and reside in a hot bed of talent. But two decades of total embarrassment is a lot. Will they finally hit on a hire? Who?

Moser has to be the first call. Not sure he pulls the trigger with his OU success. But hes from there, has made it known he whats to coach in the area, wanted and almost go the Marquette job.

Hurley is interesting. Jury is out on how good he is but no one wins at ASU so...But would he want to coach at the bottom feeder while his bro runs the league??

Drew. Worth the shot. Not proven at the high major level but also hasnt had a good high major gig and may look for a better chance.

Indiana State coach has potential but I think DePaul needs to try and get a name. Wardle due to his knowledge of the area and a top player he could bring with is decent.

Question is basically can they get a Moser/Hurley/Drew and also are those 3 even good enough names to turn around DePaul. Cant see them getting anything better than them tho

Honest question, because I'm not sure, but did DePaul go after Moser the last time? Did Moser turn them down? That would have been the same year they hired Stubblefield, which is interesting to me.

I think Bryce Drew would be a great hire. I think he got a raw deal at Vandy. It would have been interesting to see how his last team there would have done if Garland didn't get hurt for the year. That team had 4 future NBA players on it, but Nesmith was also a FR. Drew will be able to get players I think. He has a good track record at the mid-major level and his familiar with the midwest.

If I'm DePaul, this would be my list in order:
1. Will Wade
2. Bryce Drew
3. Darian DeVries

Would they go after someone looking to get back to the P6 level like Richard Pitino, Steve Alford or Anthony Grant? If they are willing to pay 3-4 million, that would make it really interesting.

I don't get that list unless DePaul has a bunch of money to throw at those guys.

I just don't see that job being that appealing for ... just about anybody.

That said, the right guy can absolutely turn any program around in 3 years, like Pikiell or Beard.

And it being a Big East program if you make the tournament, you're relevant again

Honest question, because I'm not sure, but did DePaul go after Moser the last time? Did Moser turn them down? That would have been the same year they hired Stubblefield, which is interesting to me.

I think Bryce Drew would be a great hire. I think he got a raw deal at Vandy. It would have been interesting to see how his last team there would have done if Garland didn't get hurt for the year. That team had 4 future NBA players on it, but Nesmith was also a FR. Drew will be able to get players I think. He has a good track record at the mid-major level and his familiar with the midwest.

If I'm DePaul, this would be my list in order:
1. Will Wade
2. Bryce Drew
3. Darian DeVries

Would they go after someone looking to get back to the P6 level like Richard Pitino, Steve Alford or Anthony Grant? If they are willing to pay 3-4 million, that would make it really interesting.

All reports are Wade is basically a no way unless they get desperate(and no other school takes the gamble first).

Im pretty certain no they did not go for Moser very actively which is pretty wild.

I do agree with you on Drew there is a lot of potential with him. Hes done great at the non major jobs and like you said Vandy is Vandy. I agree with the article tho, I feel like hes probably gonna look for something better first after vandy.

DeVries I totally spaced on. I would forsure try him before Wardle and maybe even the Indiana State guy who is intriguing due to having a system that he can really recruit to. If DeVries can bring his kid along for 1 last ride Id really try that one.

Alford I think is washed up here. The Pitino headlines would be funny. But idk if hes proven enough and also if he would wanna risk DePaul being his high major return.

A name I saw rumored is Chris Mack. Interesting one.

I don't get that list unless DePaul has a bunch of money to throw at those guys.

I just don't see that job being that appealing for ... just about anybody.

That said, the right guy can absolutely turn any program around in 3 years, like Pikiell or Beard.

And it being a Big East program if you make the tournament, you're relevant again

Apparently they are rounding up the money and will have money to throw around.

The reason these names are the ones listed is because they are the ones that people believe they will have enough to get. Anyone higher will be out.

Apparently they are rounding up the money and will have money to throw around.

The reason these names are the ones listed is because they are the ones that people believe they will have enough to get. Anyone higher will be out.

They can save their resumes for when the Villanova job becomes open.

Should be any day now...

When you haven't been to the dance for 20 years, it is a hard sell to any coach with skills. It is, at best, a low midmajor.

A young, Chicago area coach is their best shot.

Interesting early rumor.

Big East I’d say front runner this refers to is McDermott. Don’t really have a solid second guess

Big12? Could be a few. Moser or Tang sound most likely. Maybe wildcards like Drew or TJO?

Interesting early rumor.

Big East I’d say front runner this refers to is McDermott. Don’t really have a solid second guess

Big12? Could be a few. Moser or Tang sound most likely. Maybe wildcards like Drew or TJO?

Agree for the Big East one in McDermott. Nobody else really makes sense.

As for the B12, I wonder if it might be Dixon at TCU? He's been there for what 7/8 years, and has had about as successful of a run as you could have given the program and league. Only thing is it's his alma mater. So maybe not. Moser makes sense too, but he hasn't been there all that long. Out of these candidates, only Moser would make sense going to DePaul though IMO. Obviously Louisville will probably open up, but that's different than what the tweet implied bc that would obviously be a promotion going from TCU or Creighton and not a "step down" like going from Marquette to Va Tech.

Agree for the Big East one in McDermott. Nobody else really makes sense.

As for the B12, I wonder if it might be Dixon at TCU? He's been there for what 7/8 years, and has had about as successful of a run as you could have given the program and league. Only thing is it's his alma mater. So maybe not. Moser makes sense too, but he hasn't been there all that long. Out of these candidates, only Moser would make sense going to DePaul though IMO. Obviously Louisville will probably open up, but that's different than what the tweet implied bc that would obviously be a promotion going from TCU or Creighton and not a "step down" like going from Marquette to Va Tech.

Yeah McDermott has been rumored for too many jobs over the last few years and him being there for so long and potentially unhappy it makes sense.

Moser to DePaul is most logical.

But funny you say Dixon because I was on a Marquette board and a few there were saying similar. I guess I didn’t know that he had some internal run ins with TCU last year. And according to some of them they said they have heard rumblings that Dixon may not be long for TCU.

Dixon sister who died was heavily tied to DePaul, so maybe…

Yeah McDermott has been rumored for too many jobs over the last few years and him being there for so long and potentially unhappy it makes sense.

Moser to DePaul is most logical.

But funny you say Dixon because I was on a Marquette board and a few there were saying similar. I guess I didn’t know that he had some internal run ins with TCU last year. And according to some of them they said they have heard rumblings that Dixon may not be long for TCU.

Dixon sister who died was heavily tied to DePaul, so maybe…

Yeah, Dixon would seem like a prime candidate for somebody that has run its course. For a program like DePaul, that'd be an absolute home run hire. And yeah like you said his sister was at DePaul for like 6 years. If DePaul is gonna pay 4/5 million like it's been rumored I think someone like that could be in play. 7 years for 35 million would take him to 65. Would be an increase of 1.5 million and he's back in the Big East where he obviously had a ton of success.

Yeah, Dixon would seem like a prime candidate for somebody that has run its course. For a program like DePaul, that'd be an absolute home run hire. And yeah like you said his sister was at DePaul for like 6 years. If DePaul is gonna pay 4/5 million like it's been rumored I think someone like that could be in play. 7 years for 35 million would take him to 65. Would be an increase of 1.5 million and he's back in the Big East where he obviously had a ton of success.

Yeah at first I thought DePaul might need young and energetic. But someone like Dixon would be enticing proven track record and a lot like Matta with Butler. Vet who knows the league even if it was the old league. Not sure how much coaching he has left though

I honestly think it probably ends up being MOser though.

he could be in his 21st season at Pitt right now and would be a legend at that school. Pitt has been mediocre since then. Dixon has done a good job at TCU. ceiling there probably isn't very high. Pitt really fumbled the ball when they decided it was time for a split w/ Dixon.

he could be in his 21st season at Pitt right now and would be a legend at that school. Pitt has been mediocre since then. Dixon has done a good job at TCU. ceiling there probably isn't very high. Pitt really fumbled the ball when they decided it was time for a split w/ Dixon.

Yep, the classic case of be careful what you wish for. TCU's been to like 7 tournaments in like 65 years and Dixon has them on pace to make their 4th in his tenure. Insane really to think about.

Missed this.

The first 4 listed are Hurley, Schertz, Moser and B. Drew.

Interesting that Musselman left Arkansas for USC.

I guess USC can pay more, but I think Arkansas is the better job.

I guess nobody wants to coach at UK.

Their top 6 candidates are already off the board.

It'd be laughable if they brought in some one like Sean Miller.

Just pay some young guy and save a lot of $...

I guess nobody wants to coach at UK.

Their top 6 candidates are already off the board.

It'd be laughable if they brought in some one like Sean Miller.

Just pay some young guy and save a lot of $...

Mark Pope, former player ha.

Honestly hes a solid coach but this is hilarious just because of how many people they took aim at and were denied