2024 Coaching Carousel

I guess nobody wants to coach at UK.

Their top 6 candidates are already off the board.

It'd be laughable if they brought in some one like Sean Miller.

Just pay some young guy and save a lot of $...
Anyone that says they thought they'd live long enough to see the day when Baylor is seen as a better basketball coaching job than Kentucky is a flat out liar. What a world we live in. Ain't it great.

Mark Pope was an asst. on the worst team I have ever seen, tbh.

he got out of there after a year, so good for him. He's coached two top 20 teams @ BYU. interesting hire. pretty much the opposite of their Calipari hire in 2009.

Anyone that says they thought we'd see the day when Baylor is seen as a better basketball coaching job than Kentucky is a flat out liar. What a world we live in. Ain't it great.
that isn't what happened here. it's not like Scott Drew was a free agent and had to pick two different destinations. He's been settled in at Baylor for over twenty years and won a national title there.

Mark Pope, former player ha.

Honestly hes a solid coach but this is hilarious just because of how many people they took aim at and were denied

People REALLY don't want to live in Kentucky. Understandable

that isn't what happened here. it's not like Scott Drew was a free agent and had to pick two different destinations. He's been settled in at Baylor for over twenty years and won a national title there.
Meh. Bottom line, he CHOSE to stay at BAYLOR instead of taking the KENTUCKY job. No one would have ever thought such a thing could happen 30 years ago.

Meh. Bottom line, he CHOSE to stay at BAYLOR instead of taking the KENTUCKY job. No one would have ever thought such a thing could happen 30 years ago.
I mean, he won a national title at Baylor. This isn't as shocking as you are making it out to be.

I mean, he won a national title at Baylor. This isn't as shocking as you are making it out to be.
And you are minimizing the fact that a coach chose to remain at BAYLOR than take the might KENTUCKY basketball coach position. And that is a fact...unless you are saying Drew DID NOT choose to remain at Baylor instead of accepting the Kentucky job...and implying a single natty at Baylor is equivalent to the history of Kentucky basketball.

And you are minimizing the fact that a coach chose to remain at BAYLOR than take the might KENTUCKY basketball coach position. And that is a fact...unless you are saying Drew DID NOT choose to remain at Baylor instead of accepting the Kentucky job...and implying a single natty at Baylor is equivalent to the history of Kentucky basketball.
lol. Drew has been at Baylor for over twenty years and has a national title.

Coaches are looking at a combination of money, the area's livability and the ability to win. Everything else is meaningless.

Drew knows he can win at Baylor and likes Waco. Not sure how much he is getting paid, but its probably enough to justify turning down UK's offer. These coaches aren't insane fanatics that get wet at the thought of history. If that were the case then UCLA would have done a whole better than Steve Lavin, Ben Howland, Steve Alford and Mick Cronin.

Ken Loeffler was the last NCAAT winning coach that willingly left the school he won it all with for another school. That happened in 1955.

Based on history, it would have surprising if UK were able to lure Drew from Waco.

lol. Drew has been at Baylor for over twenty years and has a national title.

Coaches are looking at a combination of money, the area's livability and the ability to win. Everything else is meaningless.

Drew knows he can win at Baylor and likes Waco. Not sure how much he is getting paid, but its probably enough to justify turning down UK's offer. These coaches aren't insane fanatics that get wet at the thought of history. If that were the case then UCLA would have done a whole better than Steve Lavin, Ben Howland, Steve Alford and Mick Cronin.
Damn. We finally agree on something. I for one am glad a lot of coaches are doing just as you describe. Gives some of those uppity places a dose of humble pie...but they probably don't accept it. And private schools don't have disclose those salaries. Gary Patterson made a ton at Fort Worth but nobody knew exactly how much. It was enough to keep him when biggies started sniffing around.

A new factor in coaches making a decision is the NIL situation at a school. What is available for both HS recruits and transfer portal guys. Article I read said Baylor raised the NIL ante as soon as Louisville started sniffing around. Article also said Kentucky was willing to go to over $6 million for hoops NIL. That ups the $400k - $500k that was the unofficial "going rate" for the top notch players. With 13 scholarships that averages out to nearly $500 k apiece and I doubt that 13th guy down the bench get anywhere near that.

Anyone that says they thought they'd live long enough to see the day when Baylor is seen as a better basketball coaching job than Kentucky is a flat out liar. What a world we live in. Ain't it great.

Surprising.

No less than the 4th best job in college basketball.

I think their fanbase would have done well to STFU and let Cal keep doing his thing.

If anybody can work NIL and the portal it's Cal, he just needs a little more time. And he had the perfect persona for UK.

When you can be in the mix every year, it's just a matter of time before you win something. Even if you're not a great X-O guy and I don't think Cal was.

Surprising.

No less than the 4th best job in college basketball.

I think their fanbase would have done well to STFU and let Cal keep doing his thing.

If anybody can work NIL and the portal it's Cal, he just needs a little more time. And he had the perfect persona for UK.

When you can be in the mix every year, it's just a matter of time before you win something. Even if you're not a great X-O guy and I don't think Cal was.
Yep. Fan bases are too often living in the past and viewing things through rose colored glasses. I'm glad guys like Drew are looking for things besides money and "tradition".

Was it your old former Coach Jay Wright that said during the Final Four that the blue bloods may have to accept the new reality or something like that. NIL and the transfer portal have leveled things out somewhat. That doesn't mean the "name brands" can't take advantage of that as well or better than others. But it doesn't mean as much in today's world as it did.

It is almost like junior college now. Going to start over with new rosters every other year if not every year.

Yep. Fan bases are too often living in the past and viewing things through rose colored glasses. I'm glad guys like Drew are looking for things besides money and "tradition".

Was it your old former Coach Jay Wright that said during the Final Four that the blue bloods may have to accept the new reality or something like that. NIL and the transfer portal have leveled things out somewhat. That doesn't mean the "name brands" can't take advantage of that as well or better than others. But it doesn't mean as much in today's world as it did.

It is almost like junior college now. Going to start over with new rosters every other year if not every year.

There's still a few schools who build through freshmen recruiting and retention. It's rarer but one is Marquette.

I think that's the key to win regular season consistently, but the tourney becomes anybody's game.

UConn and Kansas have similar models. Duke is still relying on freshmen. Scheyer hasn't set the world on fire. Hubert Davis has been up and down.

Building through trasnfers is like trying to hit the lottery, but your program could be the next NC State, and that buys you a fat contract.

There's still a few schools who build through freshmen recruiting and retention. It's rarer but one is Marquette.

I think that's the key to win regular season consistently, but the tourney becomes anybody's game.

UConn and Kansas have similar models. Duke is still relying on freshmen. Scheyer hasn't set the world on fire. Hubert Davis has been up and down.

Building through trasnfers is like trying to hit the lottery, but your program could be the next NC State, and that buys you a fat contract.
The key to to building a program as you describe is being able to recruit high end talent AND keeping them long enough to develop them.

Many of the brand names will be able to attract high end talent with their name and tradition alone. But in today’s world, that has to be coupled with NIL. I don’t think some big names have made the shift.

I wonder who are considered CBB “bluebloods” nowadays. In my mind there are two that haven’t been too swift lately. UCLA and Indiana. Those were as big as there was back in the day.

The key to to building a program as you describe is being able to recruit high end talent AND keeping them long enough to develop them.

Many of the brand names will be able to attract high end talent with their name and tradition alone. But in today’s world, that has to be coupled with NIL. I don’t think some big names have made the shift.

I wonder who are considered CBB “bluebloods” nowadays. In my mind there are two that haven’t been too swift lately. UCLA and Indiana. Those were as big as there was back in the day.

I'd say UCLA still is. They've been to 4 FF's and 12 S16's since 2000. It's not great, but that's still probably top 12ish in both categories. IU on the other hand has only been to 1 FF and only 4 S16's since 2000. Which given their history is pretty awful.

I'd say UCLA still is. They've been to 4 FF's and 12 S16's since 2000. It's not great, but that's still probably top 12ish in both categories. IU on the other hand has only been to 1 FF and only 4 S16's since 2000. Which given their history is pretty awful.
Didn’t realize UCLA had done that well recently. Not 60s-70s UCLAish, but better than most others.

Ken Loeffler was the last NCAAT winning coach that willingly left the school he won it all with for another school. That happened in 1955.

Based on history, it would have surprising if UK were able to lure Drew from Waco.
That’s not true. Tubby Smith left Kentucky in 2007.

Yeah, that had nothing to do with his seat being hotter than hell.
Tubby CHOOSE to leave UK. He was going to be the coach the next year had he stayed. I’m just correcting your inaccurate statement.