Series Thread ALDS Red Sox vs Rays

Few people in Boston media had a meltdown over the game last night.

:laugh:

Nine hits. Zero runs.

Sox made plenty of hard contact, but those balls found gloves. Rays are a damn good defensive team.

The steal of home was cool, but there's no reason Devers should have been playing as far from the bag as he was. That was pretty much an open invitation for Arozarena to steal home.

Looked safe to me on that steal in the 10th

Looked safe to me on that steal in the 10th
I thought so at first but on that very last view it Looked like toe came off again at end again while tag was still on him

13th inning

Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

WTF? Runner would have easily scored there. How can you call Ground rule double when ball hit outfielder ?

Wait what. I thought you got the base you’re going to plus another?

Wait what. I thought you got the base you’re going to plus another?
Rays got screwed. Can’t believe Rays manager didn’t lose his shit right there.

Shocker that MLB is favoring the Red Sox

Rays got screwed. Can’t believe Rays manager didn’t lose his shit right there.

Shocker that MLB is favoring the Red Sox
Just heard explanation: Ball is considered a batted ball until it’s fielded cleanly by a player. Therefore, it’s a ground rule double just the same as if it cleanly bounced over a fence without touching a fielder.

Last edited:
Just heard explanation: Ball is considered a batter ball until it’s fielded cleanly by a player. Therefore, it’s a ground rule double just the same as if it cleanly bounced over a fence without touching a fielder.
Dumb rule though and ump should be able to use their discretion. Rays still would’ve scored one and Red Sox would have still won with 2 run HR based on how played out

Just heard explanation: Ball is considered a batted ball until it’s fielded cleanly by a player. Therefore, it’s a ground rule double just the same as if it cleanly bounced over a fence without touching a fielder.
They need to change it. A fielder could theoretically swat the ball over the fence with his glove to save a run, it wouldn’t be fielded cleanly even if intentional

They need to change it. A fielder could theoretically swat the ball over the fence with his glove to save a run, it wouldn’t be fielded cleanly even if intentional
So, really, that would be so rare of an opportunity to do that:
You need the ball to bounce in a way where you have good reason and much confidence in thinking you can swat it over, AND it has to be in a situation where it would help you.
What’s that situation: where a runner from first is going to score a make it break run because he started to run while the pitch is being made. All those things together are ridiculously exceedingly rare.

Last edited:
They will definitely address and tweak the rule. I understand the GRD for Kiermaier, it's the same as if the ball gets knocked into the dugout, under a fence etc, but Diaz A) was stealing and almost at 2nd when the ball was pitched and hit, and had already rounded 3rd by the time it got knocked over. IMO Kiermaier should've been on 2nd, but Diaz should've been awarded the run.

Would that have changed the outcome? Would Cash have brought on another pitcher to hold the lead or changed pitching strategy? We'll never know. Definitely a unique situation.

And I saw somewhere last night, there is something that prevents a fielder from doing it on purpose, but I forget what they said. Something like if that happened All throws from the outfield that go out of play are treated the same as second throw from the infield. That is, the ball is dead and all runners, including the batter-runner, are awarded two bases from the time of the throw. Also I think if the fielder did it on purpose, i.e just turned and threw it over the wall, he might get ejected.

Doubt they change the rule. This is the MLB. Things don't just change over one offseason typically. By the end of the playoffs, people will have moved on and MLB will most likely have no interest in change. This isn't the first time something like this has happened, it just was in a crucial spot.

They will definitely address and tweak the rule. I understand the GRD for Kiermaier, it's the same as if the ball gets knocked into the dugout, under a fence etc, but Diaz A) was stealing and almost at 2nd when the ball was pitched and hit, and had already rounded 3rd by the time it got knocked over. IMO Kiermaier should've been on 2nd, but Diaz should've been awarded the run.

Would that have changed the outcome? Would Cash have brought on another pitcher to hold the lead or changed pitching strategy? We'll never know. Definitely a unique situation.

And I saw somewhere last night, there is something that prevents a fielder from doing it on purpose, but I forget what they said. Something like if that happened All throws from the outfield that go out of play are treated the same as second throw from the infield. That is, the ball is dead and all runners, including the batter-runner, are awarded two bases from the time of the throw. Also I think if the fielder did it on purpose, i.e just turned and threw it over the wall, he might get ejected.
Didn’t know that was in place. I know runners get to advance 3 bases if a fielder makes contact with the ball with a thrown glove or cap. Wanna say it was Kershaw that tried and missed on an infield dribbler a few years ago and they said it would have put the batter on third had he not missed

Doubt they change the rule. This is the MLB. Things don't just change over one offseason typically. By the end of the playoffs, people will have moved on and MLB will most likely have no interest in change. This isn't the first time something like this has happened, it just was in a crucial spot.
They change rules all the time. I don't think they'll change it from the perspective of the batter, but they may add to or tweak it regarding runners on base etc.

They change rules all the time. I don't think they'll change it from the perspective of the batter, but they may add to or tweak it regarding runners on base etc.
Most rules changes that actually change the game, happen over several years of minor league implementation. Or something like a pandemic happens. While this may not be a significant change that needs to be implemented in the minors first, MLB usually is not a very responsive league, like the NFL. Too much of purist mentality, that prevents even the smallest of changes from happening quickly.

Most rules changes that actually change the game, happen over several years of minor league implementation. Or something like a pandemic happens. While this may not be a significant change that needs to be implemented in the minors first, MLB usually is not a very responsive league, like the NFL. Too much of purist mentality, that prevents even the smallest of changes from happening quickly.
True enough, still too much of an old boys club. I'm sure if some of them had their way, they'd have a rule saying the Yankees and Dodgers would be in the WS every year.

Last edited:
Looks like a bullpen game for both teams, which I would think favors the Rays. But you never know.

Rays down 5-0 after 3. Fucked up managing by the Rays. McClanahan should have been yanked after Bogaerts singled following the Devers blast. It's do or die in this game. Cash must be smarter than that.