Anyone ever install a Cleanout on their sewer line ???

Is your problem tree roots?
I had 2 huge trees cut down when I moved in 11 years ago, so there are plenty of tree roots, but none actively growing, and none in the sewer lines. I'm sure that the roots helped crush the line.

This Orangeburg pipe has a life span of about 50 years. It's been 51 years and it's collapsing. My rooter guy isn't bringing anything back up out of the hole like that.

Here is a picture of the devil sewer line.

1639500642022.png

2 months ago I had to put a Cleanout in one of my sewer lines. This addition to my house was put on in 1968 and had Orangeburg sewer line.
Long story short, no problems putting it in, with some Fernco's and pvc connecting the cast iron from the house to the Orangeburg. So far so good, have not needed it yet.

Fast forward to today.
My mothers house was built in the early 1950's like mine. She calls and her bathroom is backed up.
Had the rooter guy out 2 years ago and cleared the line, and had him back out today.

All cleared up. But he had to dig a hole down to the sewer line, and break it open just to get to it. It never had a cleanout, but it's time to put one in. and.......
Yep, It's cement.

Here's the question for anyone that has run across this.....

How did you cut a section of this out, being cement?
What diameter was it?
What kind of rubber sleeve (Fernco) did you use, (size etc), or did you use something different.

So, after doing this to mine, I'm going to put one in for her, unless one of you guys has a warning not to.
I would like to have a better idea of what I'm going to be looking at before I dig it all up.
Damn I've seen clay lines, cast iron lines and PVC lines, but I've never seen a cement one. I could cut the cement pipe with a diamond wheel on a grinder or even on a skill saw if I had access to 360゚ of the pipe, but once that is done I don't know how you tie in with a clean out.

The 2 degree slope = 1 foot in a 50 foot run.
But my yard slopes down, so right now it's dropping about 3 feet in a 40 foot run.
My new run will be a little more than the 1/4" per foot, but should be ok.

Fuck the check valve. I don't really have the room for it and don't care to dig the extra dirt out of the hole. I anticipate not ever having a clog again with this PVC run
Already put the cleanout in a few months ago.
Too much slope is just as much if not more of a problem than not enough slope. The liquids run too quickly and will leave solids behind often times that will start clogging the pipe.

Too much slope is just as much if not more of a problem than not enough slope.
I read that.
However, in my house. The main line drops from the bathroom 4 feet in a 20 foot run to the outside of the house, and has never been a problem. The line I'm replacing drops 4 feet in a 40 foot run, because of the depth of the City line and because my yard has a pretty good downhill slope. Never had a problem.

The slope will be better on the line I'm installing than the one in the ground currently.
I just hope it works ok.

I read that.
However, in my house. The main line drops from the bathroom 4 feet in a 20 foot run to the outside of the house, and has never been a problem. The line I'm replacing drops 4 feet in a 40 foot run, because of the depth of the City line and because my yard has a pretty good downhill slope. Never had a problem.

The slope will be better on the line I'm installing than the one in the ground currently.
I just hope it works ok.
I hope it goes well for you. Of all the things on a house that I can build fix/repair et cetera playing with sewer line is one I won't touch. I'll gladly pay the plumber to come out and handle any of those issues if they come up.

OK
My Orangeburg line is collapsing. Having my rooter guy out every 2-3 months; it's just a matter of time before it won't work at all.

So I dug a trench in my backyard to locate the original sewer line to the house; the one that the Orangeburg is connected to, but it's further down the line from where I'm digging. The plan is to just bypass the Orangeburg all together.

I eventually find it. The trench is 2 feet wide and 7 feet long and 3 1/2 feet deep when I do. The plan was to find this line first, to see if I can do this at all; I can. It looks like I dug a grave and told my wife "this is her chance". lol

Luckily it's a concrete line and in perfect shape and not that fucking Orangeburg. Ok, now I'm good to go.
Have to dig a trench for the new line, about 40 feet long; it comes out of the house about a foot underground, and I have to slope it down 2 degrees to the exposed concrete line.

Ordered a Fernco sewer pipe flexible saddle for the concrete line and will be here in a couple of days.
I'll take the angle grinder and cut the hole in the line, using some water to keep the dust down because this line might have some asbestos in it, and then install the saddle.

Because of the tree roots I have in my yard, this trench might take some time to dig.

Glue up some 4" PVC and BOOM, it'll be done.
I hope.

i think this is an excuse to bury some bodies in your back yard.......

Have you looked into getting your current pipe CIPP'd?
In my time researching this, I ran across that. Not sure I could do it with what I have.
And if it cost more than $200, I'm out.

In my time researching this, I ran across that. Not sure I could do it with what I have.
And if it cost more than $200, I'm out.
It's not something that the average joe does, and it would cost more than 200 but it would be more of a permanent fix for your root issues

This is Orangeburg
And if you have a house that was built before 1972, there's a good chance you have this.

Just took the first pass on the trench, soft dirt no issues.

I'm on the 2nd pass with the shovel, and fuck yes, roots everywhere.
Some only an inch in diameter so I can get thru it with the shovel.
Some are 2-5 inches thick and takes my Sawzall to cut them out, so it's taking a lot more time.

I'm on the 2nd pass with the shovel, and fuck yes, roots everywhere.
Some only an inch in diameter so I can get thru it with the shovel.
Some are 2-5 inches thick and takes my Sawzall to cut them out, so it's taking a lot more time.
You are a good, patient, hard working man and I really respect you for that. Personally, I would have already had to "borrow" some anfo from a local strip miner and handed someone my beer.

Oh, and all for under $200 too.

Not sure what the fuck I was thinking.
I calculated it on pre-covid prices.

It will end up somewhere around $325

Progressing nicely.
Took a couple days off to help my back, and it was 14 degrees yesterday morning, so ass cold all day.

Keep grinding pops.

Done
All hooked up, no leaks, works like it's suppose to.

Just have to backfill the dirt.
There's a few hours of work right there, but it works and I'm closing it up.

Excited Ric Flair GIF

Some Pics

200.gif

Got finished backfilling the dirt yesterday.
2 hours after I finished, it started raining.

It hasn't rained here since the middle of October.
I got so lucky it didn't rain. It makes backfilling so much easier

It was great timing.

One of my neighbors is having a similar problem and his plumber quoted him $4000.