Anyone have an automatic Sprinkler System

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 18,000.00
Because if you have never had one, and are watering by hand, by moving the sprinkler/hose around, you have no idea the waste of time it is moving that shit all over the place.

I have put 2 sprinkler systems in 2 different houses I have lived in. Each running more than 10 years now.

It's the best thing ever. Your neighbors will always ask you "what do you do to make it look so good".
Unless you have an irrigations system, you just have no idea the amount of water you really need. I watch people hand watering their yards, and I just shake my head.

I can put more water down in 30 minutes than they can put down all day.

It isn't hard to put one in.
Ask any questions if it's been on your mind, or tell us about what you have.

Animated GIF

I have one of these. I call it rain.

If you put your own system in, do these things first.

1. Have all of your utilities located. It's just 1 call and it's free, but might take up to 3 days. Never dig without it.

2. You will have to tap into your water line where you want your valve box. Then you have to turn on the water and see how many gallons a minute you have by running it into a bucket and doing some math. This will determine how many sprinklers can be any one line, and how many zones you will need. You must have this info before you start. Yes, that's right. You will need to start doing the work before you know the details. Different kinds of heads will flow different rates. Anywhere from 1/2 gallon a minute, up to 2-3 gallons a minute, and more.

When I did my first one, I diagramed my yard out to get the "right" placement on the sprinkler head. Was all concerned about it after reading everything I could find.

Yeah, fuck all of that.

Just remember the most important thing is 'Head to Head Coverage'.

1622562960467.png

I have a Rachio smart sprinkler system. Definitely worth the investment.

I gave up some time ago on the pursuit of lawn eugenics.

When I heard the bees were in trouble, I quit putting chems on my lawn. I hand pull the most troublesome weeds en sech. I actually let clover patches grow in a couple of areas so the bees can do their thing.

I have a gas-powered mower that I've had for years, but as soon as it gives it up I'm buying a manual. I've had a weed eater/edger for years and haven't used it...do it all by hand. The mower alone puts enough bad shit in the air.

Gives me something to do while out smoking, and my conscience is clear that I'm leaving the best world I can for my little buddy there in my avy. I want him to be able to fish AND EAT THE FISH. I want him to be able to breathe without pollutants. Would yall do the same? He's worth it, I promise.

What does that do exactly??
It syncs with local weather to automatically skip days if it’s raining or too windy to water. It measures water consumption by station so you can quickly identify problems. I can turn them on or off with my phone. It’s pretty cool.

You just run it off your home water?

I’ve put in dozens of irrigation systems. But always with its own water supply. (Lake, pond, stream, river, etc)

Feel like I’d burn my well pump up if I put one in at my house. Idk.

Plus, I like being the guy with socks and sandals standing there with a hose in his hand, like a dope.

I gave up some time ago on the pursuit of lawn eugenics.

When I heard the bees were in trouble, I quit putting chems on my lawn. I hand pull the most troublesome weeds en sech. I actually let clover patches grow in a couple of areas so the bees can do their thing.

I have a gas-powered mower that I've had for years, but as soon as it gives it up I'm buying a manual. I've had a weed eater/edger for years and haven't used it...do it all by hand. The mower alone puts enough bad shit in the air.

Gives me something to do while out smoking, and my conscience is clear that I'm leaving the best world I can for my little buddy there in my avy. I want him to be able to fish AND EAT THE FISH. I want him to be able to breathe without pollutants. Would yall do the same? He's worth it, I promise.
I mow under some fruit trees with a reel. Used to do my whole lawn with it when I was citified en sech.

Not mowing three acres with that bitch though.

I wouldn't ever go back to hand watering, but my obsession with a great lawn ended several years ago. I water two complete cycles of all my zones twice per week and I don't increase water during the hot summer months.

I set the mower low in the spring and max in the summer. Once July comes around, I really only have to mow every 2-3 weeks. The grass doesn't turn brown, but it doesn't really grow much either.

I haven't used fertilizer for several years, but all the ash from last year's fires have helped this year.

You just run it off your home water?

I’ve put in dozens of irrigation systems. But always with its own water supply. (Lake, pond, stream, river, etc)

Feel like I’d burn my well pump up if I put one in at my house. Idk.

Plus, I like being the guy with socks and sandals standing there with a hose in his hand, like a dope.

i have this feeling that you are only wearing socks and sandals while watering your lawn.

Ok
My son in law and his dad want to put in a sprinkler system at their small warehouse.
It's only an area up front, about 35' x 100' and maybe 2 zones.

A couple hundred feet of trenchwork.

Easy.

He's having a plumber come out and connect up to the main line, and put in the backflow preventer.

Which is a TREMENDOUS help. As long as I don't have to do it.
I have put in a couple of systems over the years. It's no fun, but once done, easy street baby

Front yard and gardens covered automatically.

But I string those black soaker hoses down the sides and in the back with various "y's" and connectors.

I use the soakers anytime I want to regardless of sprinkling regulations.

And the underground ones run during the night, 2 times a week.

Yup I've got one, it's the only way to go...at least in DFW where rain happens then doesn't for a month.

My issue is my automated controller is wifi connected to weather to go on rain delay when rain is in the forecast. It used to work great, now this summer it is all jacked up. For example it came on this morning and there is a forecast for rain for the next 7 days. May not be forecasting enough rainfall to trip the rain delay though. But as saturated as everything is, I had to override it.