Anyone run into spalling bricks?

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 18,000.00
A buddy of mine owns this house where the exterior brick is crumbling/spalling and it may be time to fix it.
Doesn't look like any have completely failed, but some have little chunks out of them.

When I started to research this, I went into it with this knowledge;

His Dad had this house built in 1965 and was a cheap ass. No extra's, keep costs down, etc.
He told me that his Dad had purchased used brick/salvaged brick to save money at the time. It's an 'old chicago' look of just old red clay bricks. Probably salvaged in the Oklahoma City area, just a guess. So, these bricks are 56 years old plus however old they were from the first time. That might make these bricks 100 years old.

I thought that these bricks were failing due to age, just being out in the weather that long. The problem doesn't seem to be very deep, but a lot of the bricks are seeing problems.

After researching this, I'm being told that spalling can be caused by mortar that is too hard, and won't let the clay brick have any micro movement, which is natural for it, thus breaking the brick before the mortar, causing spalling.

I've discovered a technique called German Smearing, (no homo), and it takes white stucco as a thin coat, and you put it on the wall, then you knock it down before it dries, and then sponge it, giving it an antique look.

But what it does is puts mortar in all the joints, and fills the crumbling brick and supports it.
This is something that needs to be done before he can sell the house.

Anyone done this?, known anyone who's done this?, heard of this?,
Seems like the idea is sound, and a cheap way to fix the problem.

I could do this.

@Peter Gozintite
@Bayou Tiger

A buddy of mine owns this house where the exterior brick is crumbling/spalling and it may be time to fix it.
Doesn't look like any have completely failed, but some have little chunks out of them.

When I started to research this, I went into it with this knowledge;

His Dad had this house built in 1965 and was a cheap ass. No extra's, keep costs down, etc.
He told me that his Dad had purchased used brick/salvaged brick to save money at the time. It's an 'old chicago' look of just old red clay bricks. Probably salvaged in the Oklahoma City area, just a guess. So, these bricks are 56 years old plus however old they were from the first time. That might make these bricks 100 years old.

I thought that these bricks were failing due to age, just being out in the weather that long. The problem doesn't seem to be very deep, but a lot of the bricks are seeing problems.

After researching this, I'm being told that spalling can be caused by mortar that is too hard, and won't let the clay brick have any micro movement, which is natural for it, thus breaking the brick before the mortar, causing spalling.

I've discovered a technique called German Smearing, (no homo), and it takes white stucco as a thin coat, and you put it on the wall, then you knock it down before it dries, and then sponge it, giving it an antique look.

But what it does is puts mortar in all the joints, and fills the crumbling brick and supports it.
This is something that needs to be done before he can sell the house.

Anyone done this?, known anyone who's done this?, heard of this?,
Seems like the idea is sound, and a cheap way to fix the problem.

I could do this.

@Peter Gozintite
@Bayou Tiger

Great that there is no pictures of the actual spelling bricks. I know moisture, from bad drainage, or sloping away from the house is a big issue with brick deterioration as well.

I have skim coating block walls with stucco, like a hock and trowel set up. I have sprayed stucco with a hopper to give it a rough texture. Also sprayed it on and knocked it down. Looks like the still for the video the dude is using drywall knives, which will also work.

If you have never done stucco before, it can be a bitch. I am going to watch the video and come back and be less helpful.

If you have never done stucco before, it can be a bitch. I am going to watch the video and come back and be less helpful.

I just doesn't look that hard.
physically yeah, concept, no.

Never did stucco, but have done a lot of tile thin set laying down some tile. Doen't look all that different, except vertical, so gravity won't help.

The hardest part seems like it would be getting to know how far you can go and still work the stuff. Not very far is what I'm thinking.

Perfect 2 man job.

Whoa.... We've got some old ass brick houses around the Birmingham area, but I don't think I've ever seen a brick "fail". I've seen foundation issues & even water issues cause mortar to fail & make a brick split in two or three. Looks like a lot of work.

Arson may be the answer!!!

Last edited:
Around here they are spraying old brick houses with some coating that comes in all colors and is made by the same company that makes bed liners for trucks. They are even doing it to new construction.

Rhino Shield

Around here they are spraying old brick houses with some coating that comes in all colors and is made by the same company that makes bed liners for trucks. They are even doing it to new construction.

Rhino Shield

Ice Cube Reaction GIF

The first video the guy is clearly a plasterer. He makes it look easy, and I actually like his method and overall look better. I might try to use the stucco and spray it, with a guy toweling it in behind me. Mask everything off. There is so much waste anyway.

Second video the guys are masons, and it kind of shows. I don't like the finished product, it looks like more work, and harder to mix.

If the bricks are fucked, it may need a little more than what is shown in either video.

Last edited:
I just doesn't look that hard.
physically yeah, concept, no.

Never did stucco, but have done a lot of tile thin set laying down some tile. Doen't look all that different, except vertical, so gravity won't help.
Applying the material to vertical walls, with the consistency that allows it to trowel smoothly, with out being a fucking gorilla, also makes it loose enough to fall off the knife.

It's not easy, and takes practice. Harder than they make it look. Get on a ladder and try it.

The hardest part seems like it would be getting to know how far you can go and still work the stuff. Not very far is what I'm thinking.

Perfect 2 man job.
You need a guy mixing too.

Applying the material to vertical walls, with the consistency that allows it to trowel smoothly, with out being a fucking gorilla, also makes it loose enough to fall off the knife.

It's not easy, and takes practice. Harder than they make it look. Get on a ladder and try it.

Yeah I tried to do a metal lath mud wall in a shower once and it turned out to be a mess. I honestly failed my first attempt and had to start over. It was in a rental of mine and it's then I realized I'm no tile mason! Hahaha

I think you waste more than you put on the wall.

But that's just part of the process I think.
Once it starts to dry, has to be a bitch trying to work it.