Audiobooks

ill

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00
I usually have an audiobook, either on Audible or from the library going at a given time.

I have found that having a narrator that I can listen to for 10+ hrs is pretty important, but it also helps when the performance by the narrator is solid.

right now, listening to The 7-1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, which is pretty good, the narrator isn't annoying, and they do some pretty decent voices for each character.

anyone else?

I usually have an audiobook, either on Audible or from the library going at a given time.

I have found that having a narrator that I can listen to for 10+ hrs is pretty important, but it also helps when the performance by the narrator is solid.

right now, listening to The 7-1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, which is pretty good, the narrator isn't annoying, and they do some pretty decent voices for each character.

anyone else?
Yeah, I've listened to some of the Aubrey-Maturin series on Audible. The guy they have doing it is great IMO. He does a great job with voices for the various characters.

I also had listened to some of the Wheel of Time books on audio. The guy they had for the male POVs was really good at voicing the characters. The lady they had for the female POVs was okay. She has a nice reading voice, but she never really varied for different characters.

Yeah, I've listened to some of the Aubrey-Maturin series on Audible. The guy they have doing it is great IMO. He does a great job with voices for the various characters.

I also had listened to some of the Wheel of Time books on audio. The guy they had for the male POVs was really good at voicing the characters. The lady they had for the female POVs was okay. She has a nice reading voice, but she never really varied for different characters.
I have been listening to Jim Butcher's Codex Alara series on audiobook and I like it.

I might pick up the next one as hardcopy though.

I listen to a book on audible essentially everyday either on my work commute or while mowing the grass. Hard to find a quiet moment to sit down and read a physical book with young kids that interrupt you every few minutes.

I will agree that the narrator is key, as a poor one can make a great book unbearable.

anyone else?
Love a good audiobook, and couldn’t agree more about the reader/narrator. Nothing more frustrating than getting excited to find an audiobook version of something you either want to read or is a favorite you’d like the audio version of, only to turn out to have a terrible reader.

My favorite is Ethan Hawke reading Slaughterhouse-Five. Hands down the best reading of a book (that happens to be one of my favorites) I’ve ever experienced. I recommended it to someone recently only to learn they have a James Franco version on audible now, and it’s terrible. So that’s a bummer. Did some looking and the Ethan Hawke read version is kinda hard to find, but found a CD set on eBay. Jumped on it because I don’t trust audible, worried I might go back to it one day to have the shitty updated version in there.

Reactions: ill
Love a good audiobook, and couldn’t agree more about the reader/narrator. Nothing more frustrating than getting excited to find an audiobook version of something you either want to read or is a favorite you’d like the audio version of, only to turn out to have a terrible reader.

My favorite is Ethan Hawke reading Slaughterhouse-Five. Hands down the best reading of a book (that happens to be one of my favorites) I’ve ever experienced. I recommended it to someone recently only to learn they have a James Franco version on audible now, and it’s terrible. So that’s a bummer. Did some looking and the Ethan Hawke read version is kinda hard to find, but found a CD set on eBay. Jumped on it because I don’t trust audible, worried I might go back to it one day to have the shitty updated version in there.
It's been years since I read slaughterhouse five...maybe I should give that a listen.

Also there's another app/service called Libro.fm that supports small bookstores. I might switch from Audible to that

It's been years since I read slaughterhouse five...maybe I should give that a listen.

Also there's another app/service called Libro.fm that supports small bookstores. I might switch from Audible to that
I’ll check out libro.

I used to listen to audio books a lot when I had to travel for work all the time.

Not so much anymore.

My libarsy has the Ethan Hawke Slaughterhouse Five...I put in a hold for it.

I feel like I start to zone out when someone is reading to me, so I haven't really given audible books a chance. Occasionally, I'll have Alexa read me a bedtime story. It's usually Through the Looking Glass :D

My libarsy has the Ethan Hawke Slaughterhouse Five...I put in a hold for it.
Nice. Interested to know your thoughts on it. I go back to it every so often just for the performance. I’m not really an Ethan Hawke fan otherwise, but he nails the tone of the book in a very soothing and engaging way.

Nice. Interested to know your thoughts on it. I go back to it every so often just for the performance. I’m not really an Ethan Hawke fan otherwise, but he nails the tone of the book in a very soothing and engaging way.
Audible has the James Franco version...I think I'd prefer Hawke

Audible has the James Franco version...I think I'd prefer Hawke
I played the sample of that one and it sounded awful. I’ll be pretty bummed if I ever go back to the one in my library and it’s replaced with the new one. I know everything’s subjective and it could even be I’m the only one who cares, but I don’t understand why you’d ever want to update an amazing reading for an audiobook with a screeching James Franco.

looking for a sciency audiobook for my drive to NJ for Thanksgiving.

I am between The Body by Bill Bryson and Sapiens, which I started many months ago and have a hardcopy of on my coffee table.

looking for a sciency audiobook for my drive to NJ for Thanksgiving.

I am between The Body by Bill Bryson and Sapiens, which I started many months ago and have a hardcopy of on my coffee table.

The Blind Watchmaker