Best and worst concerts you've attended

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 10,650.00
Best:

Hard to pick one, but if pressed, I'd probably say Drive-By Truckers, Georgia Satellites and Drivin N Cryin in Atlanta last year. Merle Haggard in 2015, Hank Williams Jr and Jamey Johnson in 2011 would have solid arguments. But I've been to a lot of concerts and had a great time at the vast majority of them.

Worst:

There's 3 that come to mind, David Allan Coe in Jacksonville when I was in a Biker Bar with a fake ID and he walked off stage after like 15 minutes and left me in a bar full of pissed off Hell's Angels types is probably the worst experience.

Drivin N Cryin like 10 years ago were just flat out terrible, I guess they just had an off night because they redeemed themselves big time last year.

Conway Twitty's retarded son Michael opened up for George Jones, and he was a joke at best, and to top it off, he played way longer than his allotted time, and the venue finally had to cut power on him because George Jones was threatening to leave. I saw George Jones a lot, every year for probably 10 years in a row, so in hindsight, I kinda with George would have left so I would have a No Show Jones story.

Best was Grand Funk Railroad at Kiel Auditorium in St. Louis around 1973-74.

Worst was Gordon Lightfoot at SIU Arena in Carbondale, IL.

Best country was Willie Nelson, early 1980's.

Worst country was Hank Williams Jr. early 80's. Bocephus was basically falling down drunk.

Best and the worst were the same concert.

Charlie Daniel's opened for Loggins and Messina. Circa 1974 Dane County Coliseum

Charlie turn down the house. Loggins and Messina stunk the place up

Best:

Hard to pick one, but if pressed, I'd probably say Drive-By Truckers, Georgia Satellites and Drivin N Cryin in Atlanta last year. Merle Haggard in 2015, Hank Williams Jr and Jamey Johnson in 2011 would have solid arguments. But I've been to a lot of concerts and had a great time at the vast majority of them.

Worst:

There's 3 that come to mind, David Allan Coe in Jacksonville when I was in a Biker Bar with a fake ID and he walked off stage after like 15 minutes and left me in a bar full of pissed off Hell's Angels types is probably the worst experience.

Drivin N Cryin like 10 years ago were just flat out terrible, I guess they just had an off night because they redeemed themselves big time last year.

Conway Twitty's retarded son Michael opened up for George Jones, and he was a joke at best, and to top it off, he played way longer than his allotted time, and the venue finally had to cut power on him because George Jones was threatening to leave. I saw George Jones a lot, every year for probably 10 years in a row, so in hindsight, I kinda with George would have left so I would have a No Show Jones story.
All time best: Led Zeppelin Knebworth '79. 300K people.

2nd best: Supertramp with Chris DeBurgh as the back up band.

Worst: Some chick band I took my 8 and 10 year old daughters to years ago!!!

Best: Rush at the Forum
Worst: Lynyrd Skynyrd (lousy) ZZ Top opened for them and those three guys blew them off the stage. That's also the only time I almost got in a fight at a concert when an angry old dude accused me of blocking his view. "I'm sitting down, motherfucker. You tap me on the shoulder one more damn time and see what happens." My wife saw what was coming and we left early.

Best: Rush at the Forum
Worst: Lynyrd Skynyrd (lousy) ZZ Top opened for them and those three guys blew them off the stage. That's also the only time I almost got in a fight at a concert when an angry old dude accused me of blocking his view. "I'm sitting down, motherfucker. You tap me on the shoulder one more damn time and see what happens." My wife saw what was coming and we left early.
Was that with Ronnie of after the crash?

I've heard Skynyrd was great live when Ronnie was around. I've seen their current lineup, and while they're not God awful, I wouldn't go again. They're better than Marshall Tucker Band's current lineup(which consists of one original member) though.

Best: BTO '93 or '94. Can't remember.

Worst: Chicago '85 or so.

Was that with Ronnie of after the crash?

I've heard Skynyrd was great live when Ronnie was around. I've seen their current lineup, and while they're not God awful, I wouldn't go again. They're better than Marshall Tucker Band's current lineup(which consists of one original member) though.
Oh no, this was either '99 or '00 at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville.

Yeah, they just seemed like a bunch of tired old dudes who thought it was cool to continuously turn up 40's full of water like they were all getting drunk.

Best: Metallica in 1994 in Somerset Wisconsin. It was the first "real" concert I ever went to. My buddy's mom took us.

Worst: Probably a Jimi Hendrix tribute concert in Milwaukee in 2017. There were huge name on the line up, but it was a disaster.

Worst a toss-up between Bob Seger and the Cars. Ironically, I love both of their music. Bob may not have been feeling well but he spent 80% of the show on a stool. The Cars just stood on an "x" on the floor it seemed, no one entertained in between songs at all.

Best hands down Van Halen twice. Touring their second album and Fair Warning.

This is hard.

I'll start with the worst, cuz that's easier. 3 or 4 pop immediately into mind. First, I took my daughter to see Jojo Siwa a few years back. It was the craziest shit I've ever seen. Merch lines were an hour wait. Mens bathroom was wiiiide open the whole show. 35 thousand screaming brats. Hands down the LOUDEST show I've ever been to, and it had nothing to do with the music. Anytime that retarded little shit said anything all 35k screamed bloody murder. It was unreal.

Years ago, I was duped into seeing Skidrow and Guns N Roses. Skidrow was great. GNR took an hour plus to come on the stage and Axl immediately started acting like a whiny cunt. Only show I've ever walked out of. He sounded godawful.

Alice in Chains, Lollapolooza 93', I believe. Layne Staley went thru two fifths of Jack in a 45 minute set. The microphone stand was the only thing holding him up. He was changing the lyrics to crass shit, singing fart noises and belching into the mic. He was fucking trashed. Great band, terrible night.

I've seen White Zombie twice, and they fucking sucked bawls both times. Rob Zombie has too much shit on, and runs around so much, that the vocals just sound like some perv on the phone breathing on ya. I saw them in Vegas one time, shrooming balls, on Halloween nite. The Cramps opened for em', and I was kinda excited to see Lux Interior, just cuz he was crazy af. He did not disappoint. He climbed up on a stack of speakers and started dry humping them, while deep-throating the microphone for 25 minutes of excruciating white noise. My shrooms were killing me thru it. Somebody beaned the fuck out of him with a beer and he fell off the stacks.

Most of my "best" shows either involve meeting and partying with the bands, and or just seeing a living legend, bucketlist type shows.

I've smoked dubs with a few bands. Cypress Hill smoked MY weed. Have burned with Corrosion of conformity, Have met a ton of musicians. Most bands I see these days are in small bars en shit, and they often just come out and hang out after their sets. Too many to list, but a couple of the highlight are, meeting and conversing with John Prine a few years back. Visited with him for 10 minutes, probably. Have met and hung out with the Melvins a few times. Have met Les Claypool twice. Shook hands once. Saw Primus in Vegas a few year ago, and was day drinking in some shitty dive bar, when a giant-headed Oomopa Loompa came in. We were videoed and our ugly mugs finished the show that nite on their backdrop.

Saw Clapton at the Forum in CA on his second to last show ever. He was as smooth as ever.

Couple others that stand out. Saw Tool way back when, before they were "Gods". Maynard pulled his pants down, and tucked his dick between his legs, Buffalo Bill style, and pranced around for a whole show that way. Saw Kurt Cobain jump into the audience and fistfight a dude that was apparently assaulting a girl during the song Rape Me.

I'm sure some more will jog their way into my skull later..

Well..... the worst was my first. NKOTB. Yep, I admit it. I was still a bit new to the “girls are cool” thing and was chasing trim. Horrible concert and no bonuses after.

Best is still Metallica. Black album tour. 92 or 93. A good chunk of bands you just take it for granted the concert sound will at least be a little off from what you have on album. Not these guys. They filled a 20k seat arena and the entire place sounded so solid. They were peak them and the sets they played, encores, etc were so on point.

Mike Patton with Coolio hair, holding a puppy, while singing Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. Mr. Bungle, with the Melvins and Cunts opening for em'. February of this year, before the world shit its pants.

Attachments

• patton puppy.jpg
    patton puppy.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 2
Best - so many to choose from but will go with Pink Floyd in 75 at County Stadium
runner up the 77 Pink Floyd concert at the same venue

Worst - I promised my daughter when she was 16 that I would take her to see the Backstreet Boys. Bunch of teenage girls screaming their lungs out reminiscent of the Beatles appearances you saw on tv. Hotter than hell that day and we had bleacher seats at the Marcus Ampitheater. On top of the hill in the shade was a beer stand where a lot of the fathers gathered so that is where I spent the majority of my time.

Best - so many to choose from but will go with Pink Floyd in 75 at County Stadium
runner up the 77 Pink Floyd concert at the same venue

Worst - I promised my daughter when she was 16 that I would take her to see the Backstreet Boys. Bunch of teenage girls screaming their lungs out reminiscent of the Beatles appearances you saw on tv. Hotter than hell that day and we had bleacher seats at the Marcus Ampitheater. On top of the hill in the shade was a beer stand where a lot of the fathers gathered so that is where I spent the majority of my time.
Funny I don't remember seeing you at the 77 concert. Lol

I saw Metallica at the amphitheatre in Birmingham for the "...And Justice" tour and then saw them again with Newstead at Bridgestone in about 1998? and just hated the new music. At that show my buddy got mouthy with the cops in the hallway and got put in handcuffs but he shut up and apologized and they just let him out of the drunk tank without any charges.

All time best: Led Zeppelin Knebworth '79. 300K people.

2nd best: Supertramp with Chris DeBurgh as the back up band.

Worst: Some chick band I took my 8 and 10 year old daughters to years ago!!!
I know 3 guys that were USAF stationed at Bentwaters AFB that went to that Zeppelin concert at Knebworth in 79.

Worst concert for me was a Grateful Dead show at Red Rocks in 1978. They suck.

Too many good concerts to pick a best. Stevie Ray Vaughn 3 times, all terrific shows. I've seen Jeff Beck, ZZ Top, AC/DC, Molly Hatchet, Styx & Thin Lizzy (same show), Neil Young and Crazy Horse, Frank Zappa, Joe Bonamassa twice, a Chicago (terrible)/Earth, Wind & Fire (awesome) show. Robert Cray, Eric Clapton, Kenny Loggins, Hall and Oates, Heart, Blondie, Pat Benatar, Peter Frampton, Dave Matthews Band

some middle-aged nightmare fuel for ya..

Attachments

• willywonka.JPG
    willywonka.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
I know 3 guys that were USAF stationed at Bentwaters AFB that went to that Zeppelin concert at Knebworth in 79.

Worst concert for me was a Grateful Dead show at Red Rocks in 1978. They suck.

Too many good concerts to pick a best. Stevie Ray Vaughn 3 times, all terrific shows. I've seen Jeff Beck, ZZ Top, AC/DC, Molly Hatchet, Styx & Thin Lizzy (same show), Neil Young and Crazy Horse, Frank Zappa, Joe Bonamassa twice, a Chicago (terrible)/Earth, Wind & Fire (awesome) show. Robert Cray, Eric Clapton, Kenny Loggins, Hall and Oates, Heart, Blondie, Pat Benatar, Peter Frampton, Dave Matthews Band
I'll never understand the attraction to the Dead. I went to a show in Louisville when I was about 21 because my friend promised the closest thing to a religious experience I'd ever have. It sucked. Smelly-ass ugly people everywhere getting fucked up to terrible music and worse musicians.