Big 12 Looking at Scrub Nights

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 34,058.00
Mid Week Big 12 Games?

Some of the points.

"The television deal will pay each of the 12 teams just short of $32 million per season and that is before any additional revenue from the College Football Playoff and NCAA Tournament are tied into the final figures. Officials expect that could bring the total payout to around $50 million.
The media rights deal is expected to be heavy on the linear side of things with a digital component similar to what the Big 12 currently has with Big 12 NOW on ESPN+.

However, one thing that the Big 12 is looking at is the possibility of playing more games on weekdays such as Thursday or Friday. It’s a way to get more exposure for the league if they elect to go that route."

"The Mountaineers played three mid-week games during the 2022 season and each of those posted strong television ratings compared to other games on the schedule.

This past season West Virginia had one mid-week game on the schedule on a Thursday against Houston.

“These games are extremely high,” Brown said. “You’re only competing against one other game.”

The conference may not have a choice.
1) At $50 million, that is about 50% of what the B1G/SEC teams are expected to bring in.
2) Kansas State vs Cincinnati at any Saturday time slot will get killed in viewership vs a B1G or SEC game....even a Minne/Rutgers type one. Or at least that is what I remember from seeing those viewership numbers from previous years.

"The Mountaineers played three mid-week games during the 2022 season and each of those posted strong television ratings compared to other games on the schedule.
Translation = Teams can't draw viewers when they are up against teams people want to actually see.
When people have no choice, the numbers go up.

I think that's great.

Translation = Teams can't draw viewers when they are up against teams people want to actually see.
When people have no choice, the numbers go up.

I think that's great.
Exactly…with one exception.

I’m not really sure people “actually want to see” Vandy vs Miss State or Indiana vs Maryland much more ( if any) than they do Arizona vs Oklahoma State. But, if Vandy or Miss State is playing Bama or OU or Maryland is playing tOSU or USC, fans “actually want to see” those games in huge numbers.

But, Vandy, Miss State, Indiana and Maryland get the viewership bump because of Bama, OU, tOSU and USC in those type games. Not because of themselves.There are not ANY that are even close to something like those four in the Big 12. They have no “bell cows” or “anchor stores” to use analogies. The Big 12 is only full of Vandy Miss State, Indiana and Maryland types. Not one of them can draw numbers unless they happen to have magical years. Even then they won’t draw like the biggies in the B1G and SEC.

You seem rather adept at translating, so please, translate this

heavy on the linear side of things with a digital component

What da fuck does that mean?

Mid Week Big 12 Games?

Some of the points.

"The television deal will pay each of the 12 teams just short of $32 million per season and that is before any additional revenue from the College Football Playoff and NCAA Tournament are tied into the final figures. Officials expect that could bring the total payout to around $50 million.
The media rights deal is expected to be heavy on the linear side of things with a digital component similar to what the Big 12 currently has with Big 12 NOW on ESPN+.

However, one thing that the Big 12 is looking at is the possibility of playing more games on weekdays such as Thursday or Friday. It’s a way to get more exposure for the league if they elect to go that route."

This past season West Virginia had one mid-week game on the schedule on a Thursday against Houston.

“These games are extremely high,” Brown said. “You’re only competing against one other game.”

The conference may not have a choice.
1) At $50 million, that is about 50% of what the B1G/SEC teams are expected to bring in.
2) Kansas State vs Cincinnati at any Saturday time slot will get killed in viewership vs a B1G or SEC game....even a Minne/Rutgers type one. Or at least that is what I remember from seeing those viewership numbers from previous years.
How 'bout you DC? Help dis Louzeana boy out.

wtf?

these guise too good for 11:00 CST Saturday kickoffs?

whatevs!

Ok. I'll be athankin' ya.

Those must be some purty damn dumb to come up with bullshit like that.

wtf?

these guise too good for 11:00 CST Saturday kickoffs?

whatevs!
Now that I believe I can translate.
I believe they think they ain't near about good enough for 11:00 CST Saturday kickoffs, but not dumb enuf to figure out

Mostly traditional broadcast TV, but potentially stuff available on streaming outlets.

It’s great for the fans imo. More chances to see other teams play. Similar concept that I present for the G5/FCS having their season, playoff and own championship in the spring/summer beginning the weekend after the final 4 in hoops , ending 4th of July weekend.

Just not enough time for average Joe Fanboy to watch them all with limited time slots on fall Saturdays for an opportunity for some exposure plus trying to compete with Big Brand U AND the NFL for those eyeballs on weekends.

Live game content is still valuable to the media partners so it makes sense to “play em where they ain’t” so to speak for the other “P5’s”. IMO the ACC should follow suit and/or merge with the Big12 and get the best matchups that they possibly can for those weeknight games.

The Big12 knows this will keep them as close as they are ever gonna get financially to the Big 2 for football and the media folks want/need live games so… marriage of convenience and it works well for everyone.

Now we’re in trouble. Expecting a West Texas oilfield hick to help out a Louzeana boy to understand sophisticated technomological shit probably ain’t gonna end well. All I know is them words sound expensive!

I remember the days when Thursdays were ruled by Virginia Tech. At the time we all made fun of them for playing on "scrub night" but the last few years it seems, thanks to Thursday Night Football by the NFL, Thursday night games are like Eastern Carolina vs Middle Tennessee Tech.

Even though TNF is the Panthers vs Bears or something awful, CFB has zero balls when trying to schedule anything that infringes on the NFL. So I would appreciate a Big 12 game on Thursday night. Give me Arizona vs Colorado over Titans vs Saints.

I remember the days when Thursdays were ruled by Virginia Tech. At the time we all made fun of them for playing on "scrub night" but the last few years it seems, thanks to Thursday Night Football by the NFL, Thursday night games are like Eastern Carolina vs Middle Tennessee Tech.

Even though TNF is the Panthers vs Bears or something awful, CFB has zero balls when trying to schedule anything that infringes on the NFL. So I would appreciate a Big 12 game on Thursday night. Give me Arizona vs Colorado over Titans vs Saints.
The old BigEast conference pioneered that with ESPN. It was for the same reasons that they are doing it now but I don’t think they expected the draw on a weeknight post MNF that an at least halfway meaningful matchup was going to bring. VT,WVU,Louisville, in particular were bringing really solid numbers on Thursday nights compared to what they initially thought they were going to. The NFL obviously took notice as well.