Big 12 Looking at Scrub Nights

I vote for it. Give me more name brands on the weekday games instead of schools I rarely think about.

If they decided to play their big conference game of the week on Thursdays their ratings for that would be fantastic and all of us would watch. It would be tough to do because you have to schedule so far in advance and you have spread it out so teams don’t have to do it multiple times but it would be worth the effort.

I vote for it. Give me more name brands on the weekday games instead of schools I rarely think about.

If they decided to play their big conference game of the week on Thursdays their ratings for that would be fantastic and all of us would watch. It would be tough to do because you have to schedule so far in advance and you have spread it out so teams don’t have to do it multiple times but it would be worth the effort.
all of us?
Laugh Lol GIF by GIPHY News

I didn't think there were any name brands left in the Big 12?

They need a Big 12 Network (a la the SEC Network, Big 10 Network, ACC Network) that can be bundled into cable, satellite, and streaming packages.

Not this ESPN+/Big 12 NOW subscription shit.
It’s fucking killing me. Yeah we suck this year on the hardwood but god damn nearly every one of our games is on plus. That shit is beyond annoying.

Mid Week Big 12 Games?

Some of the points.

"The television deal will pay each of the 12 teams just short of $32 million per season and that is before any additional revenue from the College Football Playoff and NCAA Tournament are tied into the final figures. Officials expect that could bring the total payout to around $50 million.
The media rights deal is expected to be heavy on the linear side of things with a digital component similar to what the Big 12 currently has with Big 12 NOW on ESPN+.

However, one thing that the Big 12 is looking at is the possibility of playing more games on weekdays such as Thursday or Friday. It’s a way to get more exposure for the league if they elect to go that route."

"The Mountaineers played three mid-week games during the 2022 season and each of those posted strong television ratings compared to other games on the schedule.

This past season West Virginia had one mid-week game on the schedule on a Thursday against Houston.

“These games are extremely high,” Brown said. “You’re only competing against one other game.”

The conference may not have a choice.
1) At $50 million, that is about 50% of what the B1G/SEC teams are expected to bring in.
2) Kansas State vs Cincinnati at any Saturday time slot will get killed in viewership vs a B1G or SEC game....even a Minne/Rutgers type one. Or at least that is what I remember from seeing those viewership numbers from previous years.
This sounds like pure fucking HELL

It’s great for the fans imo. More chances to see other teams play. Similar concept that I present for the G5/FCS having their season, playoff and own championship in the spring/summer beginning the weekend after the final 4 in hoops , ending 4th of July weekend.

Just not enough time for average Joe Fanboy to watch them all with limited time slots on fall Saturdays for an opportunity for some exposure plus trying to compete with Big Brand U AND the NFL for those eyeballs on weekends.

Live game content is still valuable to the media partners so it makes sense to “play em where they ain’t” so to speak for the other “P5’s”. IMO the ACC should follow suit and/or merge with the Big12 and get the best matchups that they possibly can for those weeknight games.

The Big12 knows this will keep them as close as they are ever gonna get financially to the Big 2 for football and the media folks want/need live games so… marriage of convenience and it works well for everyone.
A few points here GR because I still love you and all that jazz. (No homo)

It’s all good watching other teams on weekdays. But many, myself included would prefer their teams games on Saturdays.

Most people have off the weekends. Going to the game is waaay easier For most. Not staying up till 11pm or later when ya gotta get up early the next day is another issue.

Everyone loves macation, I’ve never heard one person actually say they wish THEIR TEAM was in on it. Thursday is known as scrub night around here. Playing These games continuously on week nights will continue to push that label on said conference. (and the B12 doesn’t need any help with that)

if Other conferences started doing it with some of their lesser teams ie RutgersVPurdue MissStVVandy then absolutely the B12 should hop on. But doing it by themselves removes all doubt of it being a scrub conference imo. Even if it already is.

It’s fucking killing me. Yeah we suck this year on the hardwood but god damn nearly every one of our games is on plus. That shit is beyond annoying.
fwiw.. the new deal is going to have a lot of the Big12 basketball games on Fox/FS1

fwiw.. the new deal is going to have a lot of the Big12 basketball games on Fox/FS1
I’m very happy about that. But including today we have 13 games left, I want to say 10 are on PLUS.

I’m very happy about that. But including today we have 13 games left, I want to say 10 are on PLUS.
honestly it never bothered me.. I don't usually channel surf during basketball games outside the tournaments. What does bother me and will continue to do so......is for the world wide leader how the fuck don't they broadcast more CFB games in 4K.. people bitch about peacock but man I tune into that for the 4k alone..

honestly it never bothered me.. I don't usually channel surf during basketball games outside the tournaments. What does bother me and will continue to do so......is for the world wide leader how the fuck don't they broadcast more CFB games in 4K.. people bitch about peacock but man I tune into that for the 4k alone..
It bothers the hell outta me when I can’t switch channels and have another game on in mere seconds between commercials. That’s what grinds my gears.

Makes sense. The SEC and ACC are going to dominate ESPN's linear time slots on Saturday. Big 12 will have to play during the weekday and after dark to avoid playing a ton of games on ESPN+.

And to be honest, it's better for exposure to play on Thursday/Friday vs. streaming on ESPN+ on Saturday

A few points here GR because I still love you and all that jazz. (No homo)

It’s all good watching other teams on weekdays. But many, myself included would prefer their teams games on Saturdays.

Most people have off the weekends. Going to the game is waaay easier For most. Not staying up till 11pm or later when ya gotta get up early the next day is another issue.

Everyone loves macation, I’ve never heard one person actually say they wish THEIR TEAM was in on it. Thursday is known as scrub night around here. Playing These games continuously on week nights will continue to push that label on said conference. (and the B12 doesn’t need any help with that)

if Other conferences started doing it with some of their lesser teams ie RutgersVPurdue MissStVVandy then absolutely the B12 should hop on. But doing it by themselves removes all doubt of it being a scrub conference imo. Even if it already is.
Oh I don't pretend that its perfect at all, it's just the best that the conferences not named SEC/BIG can hope for when it comes to football and getting the most money for it. Thursday night games have the advantage for the TV money and some exposure to other fans and regions of the country and that's good but some of the home fan experience takes a hit no doubt. Using WVU as an example, I've done the Thursday afternoon drive from southern WV to Morgantown, dealing with game traffic which is not as heavy compared to Saturdays but still challenging then trying to get back post game. The game experience was fine albeit with a smaller crowd as a lot of workin folk can't make that trip and still work the next day but the logistics sucked so absolutely there are negatives for some of the in person fans involved but.. more and more those folks are fading anyway as we see attendance numbers fall and more fans staying home or at bars ect. watching their game plus others to save money.
The Big12/ACC/ and PAC(RIP) imo have already been relegated as far as branding/reputation ect. imo, I think people have already moved past that, I think most folks realize now that the "P5" is as dead as the PAC12 now, It's the "P2" now, the Big12 and ACC are not and aint gonna be on equal ground for the foreseeable future when it comes to the money end of things so they have to get creative and... for lack of a better term on my part suck some rotten eggs to at least stay alive. Both the Big12 and ACC still have great hoops so maybe they can package some deals in that sport to make up some ground financially BUT even as I say that, that may be in jeopardy as well because of.. you guessed it, money and how much more will be available in the "Big2" conferences. The better players are going to command more money so.. It's a mess for the "little guys" now.