Big 12 Looking at Scrub Nights

Oh I don't pretend that its perfect at all, it's just the best that the conferences not named SEC/BIG can hope for when it comes to football and getting the most money for it. Thursday night games have the advantage for the TV money and some exposure to other fans and regions of the country and that's good but some of the home fan experience takes a hit no doubt. Using WVU as an example, I've done the Thursday afternoon drive from southern WV to Morgantown, dealing with game traffic which is not as heavy compared to Saturdays but still challenging then trying to get back post game. The game experience was fine albeit with a smaller crowd as a lot of workin folk can't make that trip and still work the next day but the logistics sucked so absolutely there are negatives for some of the in person fans involved but.. more and more those folks are fading anyway as we see attendance numbers fall and more fans staying home or at bars ect. watching their game plus others to save money.
The Big12/ACC/ and PAC(RIP) imo have already been relegated as far as branding/reputation ect. imo, I think people have already moved past that, I think most folks realize now that the "P5" is as dead as the PAC12 now, It's the "P2" now, the Big12 and ACC are not and aint gonna be on equal ground for the foreseeable future when it comes to the money end of things so they have to get creative and... for lack of a better term on my part suck some rotten eggs to at least stay alive. Both the Big12 and ACC still have great hoops so maybe they can package some deals in that sport to make up some ground financially BUT even as I say that, that may be in jeopardy as well because of.. you guessed it, money and how much more will be available in the "Big2" conferences. The better players are going to command more money so.. It's a mess for the "little guys" now.
Brah, this shit needs to be cut down by 2/3rds

Oh I don't pretend that its perfect at all, it's just the best that the conferences not named SEC/BIG can hope for when it comes to football and getting the most money for it. Thursday night games have the advantage for the TV money and some exposure to other fans and regions of the country and that's good but some of the home fan experience takes a hit no doubt. Using WVU as an example, I've done the Thursday afternoon drive from southern WV to Morgantown, dealing with game traffic which is not as heavy compared to Saturdays but still challenging then trying to get back post game. The game experience was fine albeit with a smaller crowd as a lot of workin folk can't make that trip and still work the next day but the logistics sucked so absolutely there are negatives for some of the in person fans involved but.. more and more those folks are fading anyway as we see attendance numbers fall and more fans staying home or at bars ect. watching their game plus others to save money.
The Big12/ACC/ and PAC(RIP) imo have already been relegated as far as branding/reputation ect. imo, I think people have already moved past that, I think most folks realize now that the "P5" is as dead as the PAC12 now, It's the "P2" now, the Big12 and ACC are not and aint gonna be on equal ground for the foreseeable future when it comes to the money end of things so they have to get creative and... for lack of a better term on my part suck some rotten eggs to at least stay alive. Both the Big12 and ACC still have great hoops so maybe they can package some deals in that sport to make up some ground financially BUT even as I say that, that may be in jeopardy as well because of.. you guessed it, money and how much more will be available in the "Big2" conferences. The better players are going to command more money so.. It's a mess for the "little guys" now.
Sorry, reading this on my iPad now instead of my phone. I get it’s a money issue and that’s why it’s being talked about. I’m just questioning if there really is going to be a noticeable amount of viewers for 2 middling/bad teams on Thursday as compared to a Saturday. As far as the fan experience I can say first hand it sucks. 2 years ago wife and I went to the Pitt game the Thursday before Labor Day Weekend. Because of the industry I’m in I absolutely could not have off Friday. It was an absolute bitch driving 3.5 hours on the turnpike after blowing the game we did. I’m scared shitless this PSU game to open up this season will be Thursday. Already have a hotel but no chance we will go if it’s Thursday because I’m not doing 4 hours after the game. Just sucks, we had one or two Thursday games a year when I went in the BE days and that even sucked. But I understand the point, money talks.

Sorry, reading this on my iPad now instead of my phone. I get it’s a money issue and that’s why it’s being talked about. I’m just questioning if there really is going to be a noticeable amount of viewers for 2 middling/bad teams on Thursday as compared to a Saturday. As far as the fan experience I can say first hand it sucks. 2 years ago wife and I went to the Pitt game the Thursday before Labor Day Weekend. Because of the industry I’m in I absolutely could not have off Friday. It was an absolute bitch driving 3.5 hours on the turnpike after blowing the game we did. I’m scared shitless this PSU game to open up this season will be Thursday. Already have a hotel but no chance we will go if it’s Thursday because I’m not doing 4 hours after the game. Just sucks, we had one or two Thursday games a year when I went in the BE days and that even sucked. But I understand the point, money talks.
We’ll see if/how it works out but I would expect a good/decent Big12 matchup for some of the Thursday night games rather than the middling/bad at least until the playoff picture starts to take shape then prob play the more meaningful game with playoff implications on Saturday later in the season but.. just a guess on my part.

We’ll see if/how it works out but I would expect a good/decent Big12 matchup for some of the Thursday night games rather than the middling/bad at least until the playoff picture starts to take shape then prob play the more meaningful game with playoff implications on Saturday later in the season but.. just a guess on my part.
The only thing is the schedule at least for Sept, Oct and most of Nov will already be set. It’s crazy to allow networks to flex games in the college level imo.

BYU v Utah
Okie State v Colorado
WVU v Cincy
Arizona v ASU
Baylor v TCU
KU v KState
UH v TT
KState v Okie State
Colorado v UCF

A lot to work with and would make for good Thursday night games iyam and be solid ratings compared to a typical Saturday now imo as they prob get buried/overlooked with the Big 2 having their expanded slates to promote.

BYU v Utah
Okie State v Colorado
WVU v Cincy
Arizona v ASU
Baylor v TCU
KU v KState
UH v TT
KState v Okie State
Colorado v UCF

A lot to work with and would make for good Thursday night games iyam and be solid ratings compared to a typical Saturday now imo as they prob get buried/overlooked with the Big 2 having their expanded slates to promote.
more people will be watching Arizona vs Denver on Amazon Prime

more people will be watching Arizona vs Denver on Amazon Prime
Yeah, the worst NFL game still draws a ton of eyeballs. CFB crazies like us are the only REAL football fans. Those NFL folks are just a bunch of sheeple.

Big 12 and ACC have to try to draw eyeballs away from Minnesota/Rutgers type games. They might have a chance being up against those. If they are up against Minnesota/Ohio State or Rutgers/Michigan they don't have a chance.

We're talking eyeballs here, not necessarily the quality of football.

Yeah, the worst NFL game still draws a ton of eyeballs. CFB crazies like us are the only REAL football fans. Those NFL folks are just a bunch of sheeple.

Big 12 and ACC have to try to draw eyeballs away from Minnesota/Rutgers type games. They might have a chance being up against those. If they are up against Minnesota/Ohio State or Rutgers/Michigan they don't have a chance.

We're talking eyeballs here, not necessarily the quality of football.
Absolutely, the NFL is gonna draw regardless, even the big brand CFB programs want no part of competing with the NFL if they can at all avoid it.
Thursdays have some downside but there are some upsides as well, if it didn’t the NFL wouldn’t be playing midweek games.
You put a good/meaningful matchup on Thursday night with conference/possible playoff (remember, more slots to fill now) implications for the Big12, you get more of the country (CFB nuts at least) tuning in rather than trying to compete with the bigger/equal brands from the SEC and BIG that will be dominating the time slots from noon til whenever on Saturday.

Is it perfect? No, but it ain’t all bad either.

Absolutely, the NFL is gonna draw regardless, even the big brand CFB programs want no part of competing with the NFL if they can at all avoid it.
Thursdays have some downside but there are some upsides as well, if it didn’t the NFL wouldn’t be playing midweek games.
You put a good/meaningful matchup on Thursday night with conference/possible playoff (remember, more slots to fill now) implications for the Big12, you get more of the country (CFB nuts at least) tuning in rather than trying to compete with the bigger/equal brands from the SEC and BIG that will be dominating the time slots from noon til whenever on Saturday.

Is it perfect? No, but it ain’t all bad either.

Yep.

That is supported by TCU's average weekly viewership in 2022.

Screenshot_20240129_160751_Chrome.jpg