Boxing is dead

It's a shame really as there used to be some fantastic and exciting bouts.

MMA killed the interest and greed made it less accessible and too hard to get the fights that needed to happen to keep people engaged.

Fond memories but no hope for new ones.
I think it's a mixture off MMA, and lack of personalities.

Boxers used to be characters.

No one stands out in the ring OR out of the ring.

Assessibilty is a big part. We used to watch the fights on USA network all the time and there were some really good ones.

Where do you even find a fight now? No one knows.

I also used to be a huge boxing fan. It pretty much lost me when Pacquiao wasn't any good anymore.

Also, fuck Mayweather. So fucking boring to watch.
As good as Mayweather was, he probably killed the sport. He was great at promoting his fights, was a great defensive boxer, but that lead to boring fucking fights that probably got people away from it.

I never was more than a casual boxing fan, even when I was a teen and we had the illegal satellite hookup that got all channels, including PPV for free, I only watched the big fights. Only boxing match I've ever paid for was McGregor-Mayweather and I just had to chip in at a buddy's house who had a party for it.

I used to be a diehard MMA fan, like it was by far my favorite sport, and I couldn't tell you any of the UFC champions right now. My favorites getting old and starting to suck and there was a string of very mediocre PPVs and I just gradually lost interest. MMA's best days were before UFC bought out Pride.
only fight i ever bought into the hype was de la hoya pacquiao. prior to that i only really started getting into it as my apartment included HBO, so I was getting the Friday night fights (or maybe Saturday). so i was digging the Ricky Fatton, Kelly Pavlick, up and comers before i quit were Paul Williams and Andre Berto, I'm sure there were others, but that's what i can recollect off the top of my head.

Boxing has so many problems with it that it either needs a whole new reboot with a new league that tries to fix it's problems, but then adding a new boxing league is just adding to boxing's already existing problems because it has far too many leagues. WBO, WBC, IBF, OBF, Top Rank, OPB, etc. It's just too much.

But there are far more problems with boxing. First you have no big name boxers. Mayweather and Pac are both old and may draw from name alone, but they fight once every 4 years. That's the other thing wrong with boxing, they only have one big fight every 2-3 years, if that. It's ridiculous that it seems a champion has one fight once every 4 years. Who cares at that point?

UFC has done a smart thing. They push their product now every Saturday, with like 3 different levels. PPV (Big fights and plenty of them) ESPN+ which has big fights, but not as big as PPV, and then they'll throw out just some random fight night, which isnt anything to get excited about, but it's getting their product on TV for people to watch. Boxing doesnt have this. Boxing PPV's or big events are like lunar eclipses. They come around every so often and when they do it feels big and it's a neat event, it happens and people talk about it for a bit afterward, and then poof, it's gone until it comes back around again.
I will say, i don't get the UFC stuff either. i remember being in HS in the 90s early 00s, and seeing videos of shamrock and tank abbot, etc.. they were nice. anytime i look at it now it's just as boring as a floyd fight.

I will say, i don't get the UFC stuff either. i remember being in HS in the 90s early 00s, and seeing videos of shamrock and tank abbot, etc.. they were nice. anytime i look at it now it's just as boring as a floyd fight.
The original UFC was intriguing, the original concept was very interesting. A kickboxer vs a wrestler, etc.

I was on the same page as you about it being boring for a period of time. I was never into it, i found zero entertainment in watching ground fighting, mainly because I couldn't tell who the heck was winning. But lately, for whatever reason, I've began watching UFC and it's entertaining. Maybe it is just now more readily available and more "mainstream" that ive changed my views on it, but whatever UFC is doing, boxing certainly isn't. Boxing should be pushing out fights weekly like the UFC is.

And their champions should be fighting more often. Whenever their is a big PPV Boxing fight coming up I feel like everyone in the sports world gets on board with hyping it, it's like everyone wants boxing to be big again and to succeed, the only problem is they are very inconsistent with their big fights.

That and the outright crookedness of the sport. I lost interest after seeing a number of fights where one guy clearly should have won and didn’t. It seems like any time a fight would go to the judges, the outcome was a complete crapshoot.

And just like that, Boxing is BACK. Mayweather vs Logan Paul June 5th. Thanks to Mayweather's name this will be a huge fight and well promoted. I'll likely buy, or go somewhere to watch it.

Boxing needs to start highlighting and fighters and start promoting names, because a single name like Mayweather, can instantly bring a spotlight on the sport.

I stopped caring for boxing about 20 years ago. I remember hearing all about how entertaining Prince Naseem was, then actually sought out to watch one of his fights. So fucking boring, just watching this guy run away for round after round after round.

I'm assuming it wasn't this fight? :noidea:

You make it sound like he was like Mayweather, I mean we're talking about a dude with 31 knockouts in 37 fights. His average fight was what, maybe 4 rounds?

Last edited:
The new era of boxing is not going to be true boxers, it's going to be reality tv stars and YouTube Stars that decide to fight each other.

And guess what? It'll sell.

I like this kid but we will see what happens with him. But I love those dudes who seem like their hands are just made of some kinda different material than ours are.

Lets be real. Even before Boxing died. Boxing Politics was killing Boxing.
70's & 80's Fighters wanted to prove they were the best. If a vast number of the public thought it might be another guy. That Champion wanted to fight him to prove he was the best.
Nowadays fighter say hey I proved I am the best by looking at my record. if there is a dangerous fighter. he will get avoided. Sometimes forever or sometimes until they think he is old & slow enough to not be as dangerous. Its not about being the best anymore. It is about just promoting you are the best & protecting your win/loss record. Which judges will do as well for those A-listers. Knowing as long as they are on top they will bring in the money. Very few fighters anymore have the balls to just want to fight whoever the people might think is the best (better) Then if you find those few willing to do so. Their Promotion still wont let it happen because that is their golden egg.
For instance. If Crawford & Norris dont fight each other. Which as of now looks like it will never happen. Such a shame. To great fighters in their prime that needs to fight each other. But Boxing politics will put a stop to that.
That is why we have the death of Boxing.

The best fight possible right now will never happen. It's pretty sad.

And just like that, Boxing is BACK. Mayweather vs Logan Paul June 5th. Thanks to Mayweather's name this will be a huge fight and well promoted. I'll likely buy, or go somewhere to watch it.

Boxing needs to start highlighting and fighters and start promoting names, because a single name like Mayweather, can instantly bring a spotlight on the sport.
It's over.

There are so many things wrong with boxing, that it's not worth going through them all.

The thing that most people miss, is the greatest athletes don't go into boxing, like they used to. The star athletes aren't boxers, the knowledge about head trauma and CTE, there also aren't as many boxing gyms as there used to be. A talented athlete is going to be given a chance at another sport first. Shit, they are being recruited in junior high.

There is no more boxing. It's dying off with its last remaining legends, and none to replace them.
Halloween Rip GIF by Lucie Mullen

The hopeful saving grace for boxing is these YouTube stars enter the ring and social media starts hyping them as the greatest fighters of all time. Maybe it strikes a nerve with a true boxer out there and they decide to step up and take their sport back.

But it is ridiculous the hype these Paul brothers are getting. but maybe that is good for the sport, mock it and embarrass it, so that the true boxers take their sport back.

The hopeful saving grace for boxing is these YouTube stars enter the ring and social media starts hyping them as the greatest fighters of all time. Maybe it strikes a nerve with a true boxer out there and they decide to step up and take their sport back.

But it is ridiculous the hype these Paul brothers are getting. but maybe that is good for the sport, mock it and embarrass it, so that the true boxers take their sport back.
I had to look up Logan Paul. His only fight was with another Youtube personality and he lost, and now he gets a fight with Mayweather. I mean, Logan's brother Jake has never beat an actual boxer, but he at least has won 3 matches, and two of them were against former professional athletes(a former NBA player and a former Olympic wrestler and MMA fighter), I'd think he'd be the one to get a real match

I had to look up Logan Paul. His only fight was with another Youtube personality and he lost, and now he gets a fight with Mayweather. I mean, Logan's brother Jake has never beat an actual boxer, but he at least has won 3 matches, and two of them were against former professional athletes(a former NBA player and a former Olympic wrestler and MMA fighter), I'd think he'd be the one to get a real match
And people are hyping, at least on social media, so there are you casual fans, that Logan Paul is going to beat Mayweather....It is a slap in the face to boxers everywhere. First, that this 0-1 YouTuber is getting a shot at Mayweather, and two, people are talking like he's the next greatest thing in boxing. It's very sad and a major slap in the face to the sport. But that is where boxing is today, it's celebrity fights and not real boxers fights.

And people are hyping, at least on social media, so there are you casual fans, that Logan Paul is going to beat Mayweather....It is a slap in the face to boxers everywhere. First, that this 0-1 YouTuber is getting a shot at Mayweather, and two, people are talking like he's the next greatest thing in boxing. It's very sad and a major slap in the face to the sport. But that is where boxing is today, it's celebrity fights and not real boxers fights.
I just wonder if Floyd has blown all of his money or something. I can't imagine many people willing to pay 100 bucks on a PPV to see Floyd slowly pick apart a Youtube star.