Broncos moving on from Russell Wilson

He's going to wait for the Saints to cut Taysom Hill and sign him dirt cheap. :happy:

And getting paid $36.6 million by the Broncos to be on the Steelers.
If I'm reading this correctly the Steelers will only have to pay Wilson for 1.2mm of his salary next year and the deal is only for 1 year. Its pretty much a no brainer for the Steelers and Wilson is betting on himself that if he can get to year 2 then he can sweeten the deal.

I'm not a fan of Wilson at this stage of his career but this move is worth a shot.

If I'm reading this correctly the Steelers will only have to pay Wilson for 1.2mm of his salary next year and the deal is only for 1 year. Its pretty much a no brainer for the Steelers and Wilson is betting on himself that if he can get to year 2 then he can sweeten the deal.

I'm not a fan of Wilson at this stage of his career but this move is worth a shot.
It's basically a no-lose situation for Pittsburgh. They get Wilson for dirt cheap, and can still bring in another QB if they need to. Wilson gets a "prove-it" chance on a team where they aren't married to Pickett at all.

It's basically a no-lose situation for Pittsburgh. They get Wilson for dirt cheap, and can still bring in another QB if they need to. Wilson gets a "prove-it" chance on a team where they aren't married to Pickett at all.

They will have to. Not sure what Wilson has left, but it probably isn't 5 years worth.

So they luck into an immediate upgrade at QB for very cheap. Might be the solution for a season or 2 and they can use that time to groom a new young QB to take over after that.

Actual perfect situation for Pittsburgh.

They will have to. Not sure what Wilson has left, but it probably isn't 5 years worth.

So they luck into an immediate upgrade at QB for very cheap. Might be the solution for a season or 2 and they can use that time to groom a new young QB to take over after that.

Actual perfect situation for Pittsburgh.
Not so sure Wilson is the right guy to mentor young QBs, though. Wilson's greatest successes on the field have been improvisations and I've seen a lot of instances of former teammates of Wilson's either insinuate or flat out state that he's not the greatest of teammates.

For what they're signing him for this might've honestly been their realistic best scenario for a QB this year.

Wilson might be gassed but if he is they're not paying much.

Not so sure Wilson is the right guy to mentor young QBs, though. Wilson's greatest successes on the field have been improvisations and I've seen a lot of instances of former teammates of Wilson's either insinuate or flat out state that he's not the greatest of teammates.

No idea if Wilson is a good mentor or not tbh. It's important for a young QB to have a veteran guide in that room for sure.

If nothing else, it gives Pittsburgh a better QB for the present and buys them some time to find and acclimate the future QB.

Wilson at least sells the idea of them trying to compete at a level more than they have done in recent times. I'm just waiting for them to hit the hard reset button. This roster has a lot of holes and the difference makers are all getting older.. Watt, Heyward, Minkah..

If Wilson continues his struggles and Kenny stays being Kenny..it may finally be the push for them to start moving players and piling draft picks.

Wilson at least sells the idea of them trying to compete at a level more than they have done in recent times. I'm just waiting for them to hit the hard reset button. This roster has a lot of holes and the difference makers are all getting older.. Watt, Heyward, Minkah..

If Wilson continues his struggles and Kenny stays being Kenny..it may finally be the push for them to start moving players and piling draft picks.

Steelers very rarely engage in trading major assets or high quality draft picks. Kind of foreign territory for them to do that.

I'm not sure I buy that Pittsburgh is a Super Bowl caliber team though. Improving at the QB position makes them a playoff team probably, but there are other things to fix. Should be interesting to see what they do in the draft.

Is any starting QB in this league good at mentoring younger players? Seems like they're all too scared they'll be grooming their replacement, so they don't bother. I think the vet backup is better suited to the role.

Steelers very rarely engage in trading major assets or high quality draft picks. Kind of foreign territory for them to do that.
lol that's what they were known for throughout the 90s.. look at all the players they drafted during those times that bolted after their first contract completed. Maybe not through trades (outside of landing Bettis) but usually we would get high compensatory picks for those players who left in Free Agency