Broncos moving on from Russell Wilson

I'm not sure I buy that Pittsburgh is a Super Bowl caliber team though. Improving at the QB position makes them a playoff team probably, but there are other things to fix. Should be interesting to see what they do in the draft.
Oh they are not.. only chance of that is if everyone stays healthy outside a game or two in the regular season and if Russ can find his SEA version of himself.

but that's still a longshot.. but I'm ready for all the celebrating if we make it to wildcard weekend lol, Tomlin special

lol that's what they were known for throughout the 90s.. look at all the players they drafted during those times that bolted after their first contract completed. Maybe not through trades (outside of landing Bettis) but usually we would get high compensatory picks for those players who left in Free Agency

The Steelers organization is pretty well known for not making draft day moves, particularly early round picks. They are a stark contrast to other organizations that are constantly wheeling and dealing to move up or down in the draft. I can't remember the Steelers ever trading away current players for future picks either (ie rebuilding mode). I'm sure they've done it in the past, but for the last 30 years they have been pretty steady.

Getting compensation for FA isn't the same as trading.

I'm not sure I buy that Pittsburgh is a Super Bowl caliber team though. Improving at the QB position makes them a playoff team probably, but there are other things to fix. Should be interesting to see what they do in the draft.

There's only a few true Super Bowl caliber teams tbh. KC, San Fran and maybe 1-2 others. That's about it.

Everyone else is competing to be playoff caliber, but a clear step below those 2.

There's only a few true Super Bowl caliber teams tbh. KC, San Fran and maybe 1-2 others. That's about it.

Everyone else is competing to be playoff caliber, but a clear step below those 2.
Just weird, since like my team, Pittsburgh tends to try to build from within, not make splashy free agent moves like this. Yes, it relies on Denver being stupid and desperate, and paying Wilson $37M to go away. Typically Pittsburgh wouldn’t do something like this and it suggests they’re chasing hard.

Kenny Pickett seems done tho.

Just weird, since like my team, Pittsburgh tends to try to build from within, not make splashy free agent moves like this. Yes, it relies on Denver being stupid and desperate, and paying Wilson $37M to go away. Typically Pittsburgh wouldn’t do something like this and it suggests they’re chasing hard.

Kenny Pickett seems done tho.

I don't think so at all. They're getting a proven veteran QB for next to nothing when their current options at the position are bad. That's just good business. If they were paying Wilson's large salary, then I'd qualify it as chasing.

In all likelihood, Pittsburgh ends up being a 10-ish win team and a playoff contender again next season. Probably on par with Cleveland depending on how good or bad Watson ends up being next year. As long as Mahomes is in KC, everyone will be a step below them. But, just get in to the dance and sometimes weird things can fall your way.

Is any starting QB in this league good at mentoring younger players? Seems like they're all too scared they'll be grooming their replacement, so they don't bother. I think the vet backup is better suited to the role.
There are probably a few. Kirk Cousins might be one of them. If Atlanta was smart, they'd draft his potential replacement in a year or two to give the guy at least one year to develop before they throw him on the field.

Tannehill might be another. If I was one of these teams looking to draft my franchise QB and NOT ruin him right away, I'd consider signing Tannehill to a 1-year deal with the intent to start him and let my youngster learn for a year. Tannehill isn't going to win you a lot of games, but he seems like the right type of dude for mentorship.

The Steelers organization is pretty well known for not making draft day moves, particularly early round picks. They are a stark contrast to other organizations that are constantly wheeling and dealing to move up or down in the draft. I can't remember the Steelers ever trading away current players for future picks either (ie rebuilding mode). I'm sure they've done it in the past, but for the last 30 years they have been pretty steady.

Getting compensation for FA isn't the same as trading.
they literally made a trade to move up to grab the OT from UGA last draft. They also moved up in the third rd in a trade with the panthers..

Not sure how deep you follow the steelers but they consistently make trades to move up in the draft.. hell they trade their 1st rd picks to get it's best secondary players since they cannot draft and develop one to save their lives post cowher era..(Minkah, Haden)

they literally made a trade to move up to grab the OT from UGA last draft. They also moved up in the third rd in a trade with the panthers..

Not sure how deep you follow the steelers but they consistently make trades to move up in the draft.. hell they trade their 1st rd picks to get it's best secondary players since they cannot draft and develop one to save their lives post cowher era..(Minkah, Haden)

Maybe I was way off. Just always thought of Pittsburgh as a steady organization that doesn't make many splash moves.

Maybe I was way off. Just always thought of Pittsburgh as a steady organization that doesn't make many splash moves.
no, they make moves.. but what they don't do is a complete reset.. they just adapt and go..