Cargo ship hits bridge in Baltimore, causing bridge to collapse

It surprises me that it only takes one well placed hit to take the entire bridge down.
First, this is a horrible event and thoughts and prayers for everyone involved.

I was shocked at how fast it went down as well and my first thought was there not some kind of barrier to provide a buffer I mean convenience stores have poles to stop cars from accidentally driving into the store but a bridge that supports thousands of lives a day has nothing? My second thought was how many bridges I've seen and I don't remember there ever being any kind of buffer.

My guess is we are going to see a rush to drive barriers around bridges all over the country because if nothing else the world has seen that the US infrastructure is vulnerable whether it was an accident or not.

First, this is a horrible event and thoughts and prayers for everyone involved.

I was shocked at how fast it went down as well and my first thought was there not some kind of barrier to provide a buffer I mean convenience stores have poles to stop cars from accidentally driving into the store but a bridge that supports thousands of lives a day has nothing? My second thought was how many bridges I've seen and I don't remember there ever being any kind of buffer.

My guess is we are going to see a rush to drive barriers around bridges all over the country because if nothing else the world has seen that the US infrastructure is vulnerable whether it was an accident or not.
That ship is listed at 95,000 gross tons. Even traveling at 5 knots, that is a lot of force to absorb or deflect. I don't know of a structure that can take that impact from a solid object.

Has ISIS claimed responsibility yet?

Daaayam!! That's fucked up!

It's scary to think what might have happened if this happened during the regular morning commute...

Watching this looks like very few, if any commuters were on the bridge when it collapsed.

That ship is listed at 95,000 gross tons. Even traveling at 5 knots, that is a lot of force to absorb or deflect. I don't know of a structure that can take that impact from a solid object.
Right, I can't imagine many, if any, bridges could survive that type of impact and if we're going to build bridges to sustain direct impact, well.....

Sounds like a job for an Auburn engineer.

Auburn makes the world a better place by finding ways to grow better crops and stopping bridge collaspes.

Sounds like a job for an Auburn engineer.

Auburn makes the world a better place by finding ways to grow better crops and stopping bridge collaspes.
You had me at better cannabis. I declared for Auburn while Shug was the coach.

How in the fuck does a cargo ship hit a bridge? Who was piloting that thing?
1101890724_400.jpg

He's baaaaack!

Watching this looks like very few, if any commuters were on the bridge when it collapsed.

I read there was a mayday sent out as soon as they lost control and they think they were able to stop most traffic going onto the bridge before it hit, which likely saved a lot of lives.

I read there was a mayday sent out as soon as they lost control and they think they were able to stop most traffic going onto the bridge before it hit, which likely saved a lot of lives.
luckily it was 1:30am so not much traffic anyway, had it been after 6am, that bridge would have been bumper to bumper or close to it during rush hour.

Last edited:
It surprises me that it only takes one well placed hit to take the entire bridge down.

Imagine if you will the total weight of that cargo ship and all those containers....then multiply that times the speed it was traveling at the moment of impact.

That would be one hell of a "force" acting on that puny little bridge tower.

Imagine if you will the total weight of that cargo ship and all those containers....then multiply that times the speed it was traveling at the moment of impact.

That would be one hell of a "force" acting on that puny little bridge tower.

It's a big boat.

1711465623878.jpeg

I used to hate going over that bridge, even at the best of times.

I used to hate going over that bridge, even at the best of times.
Considering the state of our infrastructure these days, I would dread going over ANY of the old and BIG bridges in this country... :nod: