Catalytic Converter Anti-theft Device

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 500.00
Anyone use one? I was thinking of buying a Cat Strap for my pickup that lives in my driveway.

I was expecting something completely different.

shooting old west GIF by GritTV

These guys are using saws to cut them quickly so not sure that is going to help.

I've seen news report explaining this exact thing. They are not messing around down there. They cut it off and go.

The theft of these is something special. The catalytic converter crapped out on my Tundra last year. It just rusted up so I needed a replacement. I take it to the toyata dealer and they put it on the rack and then come see me to explain the catalytic converter needed replacing and they needed to order the part. We made an appointment for the following week.

I get a call the next day. I have to take my truck back in to the dealer because they had to have a picture of my old catalytic converter before they could order the new one. I guess the materials inside are that expensive to where the people that make them want to recycle every drop of material they can so they want proof they are getting the old one back to recycle.

The theft of these is something special. The catalytic converter crapped out on my Tundra last year. It just rusted up so I needed a replacement. I take it to the toyata dealer and they put it on the rack and then come see me to explain the catalytic converter needed replacing and they needed to order the part. We made an appointment for the following week.

I get a call the next day. I have to take my truck back in to the dealer because they had to have a picture of my old catalytic converter before they could order the new one. I guess the materials inside are that expensive to where the people that make them want to recycle every drop of material they can so they want proof they are getting the old one back to recycle.
There is platinum in the converters and that’s what they are after.

There is platinum in the converters and that’s what they are after.

I guess there is a lot with the trade in value from the old one which is why they wanted to see a picture before they would send out the replacement I needed. It was irritating to drive back just for a photo but that's not the worst thing to happen.

That's what I thought. Then I read the article and watched the video.

You made me look...

While the bright-orange exterior was quick to tear, CatStrap's real defense mechanism is the three layers of hardened steel strips beneath. The strips repelled the Sawzall blade, offering significant resistance against the tool. Adding to the challenge, we were on our backs and cutting "up" onto the exhaust, leaving us fatigued. After three minutes of struggling, we paused to inspect, only to find a tiny gouge on the Catstrap innards.

Curious about our angle of approach, we decided to uninstall the strap and cut it in half in a vise from a different angle. Even from another angle and detached from an exhaust system, the Catstrap remained impenetrable.

That's badass.

You’ll save more money simply by not visiting Detroit, San Francisco or Newark.

You’ll save more money simply by not visiting Detroit, San Francisco or Newark.
Don’t leave your car anywhere in the woods overnight if you aren’t close by.

Evidently they are staking out hiking trails and going to the parking areas in the middle of the night and taking whatever is there. Hikers go way out and camp for the night so it’s easy pickings.

Don’t leave your car anywhere in the woods overnight if you aren’t close by.

Evidently they are staking out hiking trails and going to the parking areas in the middle of the night and taking whatever is there. Hikers go way out and camp for the night so it’s easy pickings.
I’ll be sure not to hike near Detroit, San Francisco or Newark either.