Congrats, UM fans.

They're going to have to pull the regular season down to 10 games IMO. Big time OOC matchups could go away, but who gives a damn (aside from Notre Dame) when every team is in the B1G or SEC.

Total games played needs to have a cap on it. Maybe CCGs go away.
I still think the best way to do it is to have the CCGs be the first leg of a playoff, but that would take some massive reorganizing of every conference.

It's going to suck. If for nothing more than the idea of having to watch, and players having to play, back to back to back massive games like this in multiple weeks after the season. I can't imaging the toll it's going to take on teams do actually run the gauntlet of this moving forward. A team that starts in the first round will now have to play FOUR back to back games like this to win a national title.
Suck? That seems awesome to me.

They're going to have to pull the regular season down to 10 games IMO. Big time OOC matchups could go away, but who gives a damn (aside from Notre Dame) when every team is in the B1G or SEC.

Total games played needs to have a cap on it. Maybe CCGs go away.
Not a chance - $$$$. Eliminating 2 weeks of regular season games wipes a billion dollars off the books.

61 games x 2 @ $6 million a game. Not to mention the economic impact to the college towns x 132. That's never going to happen. You can't eliminate 132 games so 12 or 16 teams can play a few more.

Tha said, I think in the next CFP contract (the one after the 2026 contract) that it will go to 16 teams and they will get rid of the CCGs. The money from the extra 4 games will go to make up for CCG revenue losses.

I still think the best way to do it is to have the CCGs be the first leg of a playoff, but that would take some massive reorganizing of every conference.

Can't do that. This year both Ohio St and Penn St would have gotten in the 12-team playoff. Next year, Washington and Oregon would be in as well. That's 5 teams from the same conference (and tSEC has 5 more when you consider Texas). There's no point in a CCG anymore.

10 of the 12 teams would be from those 2 conferences.

Not a chance - $$$$. Eliminating 2 weeks of regular season games wipes a billion dollars off the books.

61 games x 2 @ $6 million a game. Not to mention the economic impact to the college towns x 132. That's never going to happen. You can't eliminate 132 games so 12 or 16 teams can play a few more.

Tha said, I think in the next CFP contract (the one after the 2026 contract) that it will go to 16 teams and they will get rid of the CCGs. The money from the extra 4 games will go to make up for CCG revenue losses.

It'll go to court I bet. Someone will file a suit in players' health interest to limit the total number of games played. Maybe that cap gets placed as 16-17 and no further schedule reduction is necessary. That's the same number the NFL plays though, that's a lot of hits to take.

It's going to suck. If for nothing more than the idea of having to watch, and players having to play, back to back to back massive games like this in multiple weeks after the season. I can't imaging the toll it's going to take on teams do actually run the gauntlet of this moving forward. A team that starts in the first round will now have to play FOUR back to back games like this to win a national title.

gee, it's almost like it puts an emphasis on winning all your games/winning your conference. what a novel concept

That makes no sense. Conferences are of different levels - SEC v. B12, c'mon. And, the SEC and the B1G aren't going to reorganize and give up their advantages.

It'll go to court I bet. Someone will file a suit in players' health interest to limit the total number of games played. Maybe that cap gets placed as 16-17 and no further schedule reduction is necessary. That's the same number the NFL plays though, that's a lot of hits to take.
No, it won't go to court on that. What will happen is that the players will eventually become employees and the schools will have to collectively bargain with them. Then they have a say, and then the proper guardrails can be put in place.

But no one is going to tell the NCAA they have to wipe out a billion dollars.

That makes no sense. Conferences are of different levels - SEC v. B12, c'mon. And, the SEC and the B1G aren't going to reorganize and give up their advantages.
"massive reorganizing of every conference" is pretty key to the idea. But blank slate here, conference championship games would be the ideal first leg if you could functionally equalize the conferences. Which may actually happen naturally at some point, just in an odd way -- the B10 and SEC might just absorb everyone worth a damn.

Can't do that. This year both Ohio St and Penn St would have gotten in the 12-team playoff. Next year, Washington and Oregon would be in as well. That's 5 teams from the same conference (and tSEC has 5 more when you consider Texas). There's no point in a CCG anymore.

10 of the 12 teams would be from those 2 conferences.
Going forward, you will have 3-4 each year from the SEC and B1G, then 1-2 from the ACC and B12, possibly ND, and then a G5.

Going forward, you will have 3-4 each year from the SEC and B1G, then 1-2 from the ACC and B12, possibly ND, and then a G5.
Conference Champions should get the Bi - It kinda leave Notre Dame out of the loop, but they have the option to join a conference.

"massive reorganizing of every conference" is pretty key to the idea. But blank slate here, conference championship games would be the ideal first leg if you could functionally equalize the conferences. Which may actually happen naturally at some point, just in an odd way -- the B10 and SEC might just absorb everyone worth a damn.
Sure, if magically you could have 4 conferences that are equal you could. But that will never happen.

I really don't see the advantage of the SEC and the B1G growing like that. They would have to break back out into divisions and then you would be back to where you were to start.

If the ACC breaks up, you have a handful of teams the B1G and the SEC would be interested in. But the marginal utility of each team you add is starting to diminish. Even FSU and Clemson to the B1G or the SEC has problems. And, at best, they can earn a share. But I don't see either of them driving revenue to make shares all that more valuable.

Conference Champions should get the Bi - It kinda leave Notre Dame out of the loop, but they have the option to join a conference.
ND has already agreed to that. And, for now, that's what starts next year.

yeah, I'd imagine the standard will be 8+ from the 2 major conferences each year.

Could balloon to 10+ depending on what Clemson, FSU, and ND do in the future. In that future, CCGs are a complete waste of time.

Sure, if magically you could have 4 conferences that are equal you could. But that will never happen.

I really don't see the advantage of the SEC and the B1G growing like that. They would have to break back out into divisions and then you would be back to where you were to start.

If the ACC breaks up, you have a handful of teams the B1G and the SEC would be interested in. But the marginal utility of each team you add is starting to diminish. Even FSU and Clemson to the B1G or the SEC has problems. And, at best, they can earn a share. But I don't see either of them driving revenue to make shares all that more valuable.
I would have said last season that the pac 12 dissolving in 1 season would never happen...and yet....

The idea of the super conferences really is that TV will pay more and more and more. The advantage of absorbing that many teams is that you now absorb the potential TV contract/revenue of the former conferences.

How does that work with offering first-round byes, though? If you've got an undefeated Georgia and undefeated Alabama, and they're both playing for the SECCG, then neither of them is getting a bye to the second round.

How does that work with offering first-round byes, though? If you've got an undefeated Georgia and undefeated Alabama, and they're both playing for the SECCG, then neither of them is getting a bye to the second round.
The loser doesn't make it to the 2nd round.

The loser doesn't make it to the 2nd round.

In a 12 team playoff: who gets a first round bye, and who is playing for a conference championship in the first round?

I would have said last season that the pac 12 dissolving in 1 season would never happen...and yet....

The idea of the super conferences really is that TV will pay more and more and more. The advantage of absorbing that many teams is that you now absorb the potential TV contract/revenue of the former conferences.
You need to think deeper on that pay more and more. For what? For every mid team you add to the B1G, that's less games involving the teams that really drive the revenue - UM, tOSU, Bama, UGA, etc. I've said this until I am blue in the face ... you don't grow to just grow. There has to be a reason behind it. Adding UNC and UVa does nothing more than create more games between shitty teams, and less games between good teams. The networks loved USC, UT and OU moving because that added a ton of good games. UNC and UVa moving don't add any more good games, and actually mean less good games because every time one of the good teams has to play them that one less game they are playing against other good teams.

More teams only matter if they cause people to watch the games. There only a few teams left that can do that.

The conference champ will get the bye. At least as currently set.

Back