Corn 🌽

keanu-reeves-whoa.gif

Grew corn for the first time ever. It turned out better than I ever thought it would be.
how much room you need for a couple of corn stalks? I always wanted to but not much room.

The sweet corn at the farmer's market has been amazing this year.

I stopped at a little side-road stand in the middle of nowhere last weekend at it was the best corn I've ever had.

how much room you need for a couple of corn stalks? I always wanted to but not much room.

When I was a kid my dad would plant three rows every year. It took up about 8 feet by 30 feet. If memory serves.

When I was a kid my dad would plant three rows every year. It took up about 8 feet by 30 feet. If memory serves.

I forget exactly, but my grandpa used to say to always have your corn in rows so the wind doesn't take them down.

A few stalks doesn't take much room at all.

I forget exactly, but my grandpa used to say to always have your corn in rows so the wind doesn't take them down.

A few stalks doesn't take much room at all.
Space the seeds close and the rows wide. Thin out when the plants emerge. I use 6" spacing and 32" between rows.

I love the peaches and cream strain. Slopped in butter and salted... Locally grown but not by me. Easier to buy this ambrosia.

But on a ligher note?

20230728_161846.jpg

It's a 12 by 8 foot patch. I spaced them closer than what they suggested but kept the rows at two foot. I think I have 60 stalks.

Space the seeds close and the rows wide. Thin out when the plants emerge. I use 6" spacing and 32" between rows.
I have two patches...the one on the bank of the river I live on and a smaller patch in a 4'x4' box. Both are doing well...the smaller patch is a few weeks behind but should produce.

Have about a 100 quart freezer bags done already.

Feel like it’s barely put a dent in the garden.

Green beans the last few days. Peaches later this week.

Have about a 100 quart freezer bags done already.

Feel like it’s barely put a dent in the garden.

Green beans the last few days. Peaches later this week.

My pole beans are prodigious. Can't keep up. My cucs slowed down but I had 21 English cucs off one plant alone and it seems to be trying again now that the weather has cooled a bit. And my sundeck tomatoes... Ridiculous crop this year.

You need to grow more than just two stalks....More the better as some of the stalks won't produce but protect the others from wind. They will also help pollinate others. If you've ever seen fields of corn....the corn on the edges don't produce as much as the ones in the middle and the ones on the edge are smaller.

The ones that are on the edge of my little area are smaller.

Use Urea to fertilize them....hint from my cousin in Kansas.

I always got mold when I tried to grow corn. Gave it up.

My pole beans are prodigious. Can't keep up. My cucs slowed down but I had 21 English cucs off one plant alone and it seems to be trying again now that the weather has cooled a bit. And my sundeck tomatoes... Ridiculous crop this year.
I don’t eat cucumbers.

But did a shit ton of pickles last week. Tomatoes have taken forever. Had fried greens last night for dinner.

What do you do for pole beans? I just have rows of green beans. The woodchucks seem to like em even more than I do. Don’t know where they’re even coming from now. The body count is getting ridiculous.

You need to grow more than just two stalks....More the better as some of the stalks won't produce but protect the others from wind. They will also help pollinate others. If you've ever seen fields of corn....the corn on the edges don't produce as much as the ones in the middle and the ones on the edge are smaller.

The ones that are on the edge of my little area are smaller.

Use Urea to fertilize them....hint from my cousin in Kansas.
The outside rows being smaller is mostly due to the sun hitting the base of the plant more. Drying out the soil.

I always water the outside row more in the garden. All the same height.