Covers, more renown

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 25,000.00
Songs where the covers are the more well-known version, but the original still kicks ass.
Link the originals.

A couple from Bruce:

David Allan Coe was born in my hometown, Akron, OH. Him and Lee Brown James.

I wasn't aware that he originally recorded this one. Thought it was George Jones, but DAC beat him by two years.

I think Stapleton's version is head and shoulders better than the others.

David Allan Coe was born in my hometown, Akron, OH. Him and Lee Brown James.

I wasn't aware that he originally recorded this one. Thought it was George Jones, but DAC beat him by two years.

I think Stapleton's version is head and shoulders better than the others.
DAC wrote it. I’m gonna have to disagree. Stapleton’s version sounds like he tried to turn a honky Tonk standard into an R&B slow jam and it just doesn’t work for me.

Stapleton does a decent job on the song I posted after that one, but I prefer the Charlie Daniels original

I like Stapleton, but I like his original stuff better, and really liked him best when he was still with the Steel Drivers. Drinkin Dark Whiskey was a jam

DAC wrote it. I’m gonna have to disagree. Stapleton’s version sounds like he tried to turn a honky Tonk standard into an R&B slow jam and it just doesn’t work for me.
DAC didn't write it. Dean Dillon and Linda Hargrove did. He just recorded/released it first.

Understand. I assume we have some musical tastes that overlap, but I'm sure there's a lot that doesn't.

That's a great song.

I assume you know Stapleton covered that one as well. I'm a really big fan of his album, Traveller. There's not a song on it that I don't love.
I’m ashamed to say I heard the Stapleton version before the original. Stapleton is a good artist, I just prefer his bluegrass days, but that Starting Over album was pretty great too(as was Traveller)

I saw him after a Braves game back when they were still at Turner Field in 2016. Puts on a good show

Stapleton does a decent job on the song I posted after that one, but I prefer the Charlie Daniels original
I agree that Daniels does an awesome job with it.

Interestingly, he didn't write that one, just the first to record it.

I like Stapleton, but I like his original stuff better, and really liked him best when he was still with the Steel Drivers. Drinkin Dark Whiskey was a jam
I don't really know any of his stuff pre-Traveller, and in my opinion, that was his high water mark. He's released some songs since that I like, but none that I like better than any of the songs on Traveller.

DAC didn't write it. Dean Dillon and Linda Hargrove did. He just recorded/released it first.

Understand. I assume we have some musical tastes that overlap, but I'm sure there's a lot that doesn't.
Didn’t know that, always just assumed he did since he wrote so many songs I guess.

FWIW Tennessee Whiskey is Stapleton’s only song I’m really not a fan of

I’m ashamed to say I heard the Stapleton version before the original. Stapleton is a good artist, I just prefer his bluegrass days, but that Starting Over album was pretty great too(as was Traveller)

I saw him after a Braves game back when they were still at Turner Field in 2016. Puts on a good show
I'll check out Starting Over.