Deion Sanders: Sports Illustrated "Sportsman of the Year"

SI as we knew it ceased to exist in 2018 when Time sold it (and even before then it was trash for quite awhile) . Its only commodity is the name itself, which is licensed to others to put on their products, like Craftsman, GE, KitchenAid, or Frigidaire, etc.

SI as we knew it ceased to exist in 2018 when Time sold it (and even before then it was trash for quite awhile) . Its only commodity is the name itself, which is licensed to others to put on their products, like Craftsman, GE, KitchenAid, or Frigidaire, etc.

I stopped subscribing to SI in the late 90s when they called Rosenblatt Stadium (Home of the CWS) a "shoebox".

The problem with Rosenblatt wasn't it's dimensions it was that the aluminum bats were too hot.

Charles Schwab field (that replaced Rosenblatt) is literally the same size (both 408' to center field) but the scores are considerably lower.

The scores are lower because the NCAA regulated the aluminum bats which essentially took the home run out of the game and brought in the era of 'Small Ball' to the CWS. It took the home run excitement out of the game for years.

To counter that, the NCAA then lowered the seams on the ball to MLB standards and brought the home run back.

All is normal now.

The Athletic is great.

SI is a complete mess and has been for years. Sad to see what I considered the pinnacle of sports reporting as a yout fall to such irrelevancy.
Sports Illustrated is the SNL of sports journalism. Went from greatness to mediocrity (at best).

Haven't touched it since:

1701371922394.png

SI was dead to me that day.