DIY Monster Fish Tank

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 3,000.00
It's still in the day dream stage and similar to my cabinet build, this tank and tank stand build is simply a tried and true design that I will copy and modify to fit my own dimensions.

It will be an unheated fresh water tank in the basement stocked eventually with native species. I'm looking at 400 gallon range and I would like it to be heavily planted.

I will use this thread to document the build and set-up of this fish tank, and I want to keep track of every penny spent.

I will build the stand first and then I can use the stand as a temporary work station as I build the tank.

I hope to get started by Aug. 1. Peace & Love, kind friends!

Killer Whale 90S GIF

Please tell me you're doing a custom acrylic with a sump and most importantly, you're doing Tanganyika cichlids. :hope:

Please tell me you're doing a custom acrylic with a sump and most importantly, you're doing Tanganyika cichlids. :hope:
It's gonna be a plywood build with a glass front. Everything else, filters, pumps, plumbing, lighting and species of fish...

To Be Determined!

It's gonna be a plywood build with a glass front. Everything else, filters, pumps, plumbing, lighting and species of fish...

To Be Determined!
We've just determined which variety of fish you're doing: LAKE TANGANYIKA CICHLIDS!

Aren't you excited?

Don’t include any gar, they will kill and eat all other fish in the tank

Fish should be allowed to swim free!!!!

To Be Determined!
Creature From The Black Lagoon GIF by Henry Mancini

Don’t include any gar, they will kill and eat all other fish in the tank
This is actually the direction I will take. Except I won't use gar as the alpha fish.

I will start with only plants and slowly add other life forms and eventually end up with grass pickerel as the dominant predatory species.

I'm not gonna let this project beat me up too much. And that's why I probably won't get the build started by Aug. 1.

I did start buying plants though and I will take advantage of the warm weather and grow and propagate a bunch of water plants as the project is in the build stage.

I bought two of these little wading pool to be used to grow the plants and also use them to quarantine any new additions to the finished tank. Have a great weekend Kind Friends!
tiny pool.jpg

I'm still not close to starting this project but it will happen soon enough. I'm just not going to rush things anymore. My other project got the best of me by late July and I am glad August is history!

Anyway, here's a pic of the plants I'm growing for the future not too distant project. Can you see the small lily pad about the size of a silver dollar? I planted that from a seed and at least two more have sprouted.

I just wanted my DIY friends, and my Dunce Crafting friends too, I want you to know that I dint put this project on the back burner... It's on the front burner! Two to three week start, can it be? Just you wait an see, I say I say!
Aquarium plants.jpg

I'm still not close to starting this project but it will happen soon enough. I'm just not going to rush things anymore. My other project got the best of me by late July and I am glad August is history!

Anyway, here's a pic of the plants I'm growing for the future not too distant project. Can you see the small lily pad about the size of a silver dollar? I planted that from a seed and at least two more have sprouted.

I just wanted my DIY friends, and my Dunce Crafting friends too, I want you to know that I dint put this project on the back burner... It's on the front burner! Two to three week start, can it be? Just you wait an see, I say I say!
View attachment 40945
You ever wash that floor? What a mess!

You ever wash that floor? What a mess!
Whadda you think? (hehehe!) I swear it has rained nearly every single day since April and that is the floor below the deck and that's what it looks like. It doesn't look as gross when it's dry which is almost never. But yes, we have a gas power cleaner (HONDA ENGINE!) and my sweet Lady Hag likes to spray shit with that thing. I'm no fan of those water wasting machines.