Do we have a moral obligation to future generations?

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 91,200.00
There is a branch of ethics called intergenerational ethics. Been doing some reading about it lately. My own thoughts are not settled yet. I would like some input from from you.

Based on a conversation with @RP-29

I'm leaning towards scorched earth. Why should I care what happens after I'm gone? I'm not here to see it. I survived as long as I could, let the chips fall where they may for future generations and let them figure it out. I could easily be swayed to the other side, but that's where I am right now.

If you’re asking if the millennials never got the belt or switch, then the answer is yes.

I'm leaning towards scorched earth. Why should I care what happens after I'm gone? I'm not here to see it. I survived as long as I could, let the chips fall where they may for future generations and let them figure it out. I could easily be swayed to the other side, but that's where I am right now.
Fuck you too.

If you’re asking if the millennials never got the belt or switch, then the answer is yes.
Oh, and super fuck you.

Michael Jordan’s a fag.

Fuck you too.
Nah, nah, nah.

fuck-hugh.gif

Yes. For my kids and my (soon to be) grandchildren. Would lay down my life for any of them.

I’ve just always been led to believe that, yes, we have an obligation to leave the world better than we got it. I can’t say I believe this than for any other reason than that’s what I was always told was the right way to believe.

Now I’m interested in reading more on this branch of ethics.

It’s in our best interest as a species.

Not everything that is in our best interest as species is pretty. Even less is respectful.

Most of the high points in civilization have only had brief periods of time when any thought at all on this subject could be worthwhile. So y’all best enjoy this thread.

Yes. For my kids and my (soon to be) grandchildren. Would lay down my life for any of them.
Don’t think of those you know. Or those who will know those you know.

It’s an easy decision, if you look at pictures on your fridge.

I'm a firm believer in cleaning up after yourself. But I also wouldn't say that future generations are really owed anything, I guess?

Not sure where that puts me, but whatevs.

Also, simply throwing out "not my problem" is a little bit cunty. Just saying.

I was always taught to leave things or places in better condition than you found them. I have kids & I want them to have a bright future, so I try to do things the right way with their best interest in mind.

@Kburjr, to further follow up: I'm a Christian.

Being a Christian doesn't just mean "believe God exists" or "go to church sometimes"; it means "follow Christ" - including his teachings and his examples - to the best of my ability. When Jesus was asked "which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself." So Christ wants me to forge a personal relationship with God and prioritize Him & His Word over all things - including the personal interests of other humans and myself. Then he wants me to love others as much as I love myself and almost as much as God.

Loving others doesn't just include the people that surround me today, but all people of all generations - including people who aren't even conceived yet. Ultimately, I have love (compassion) for those who follow me and I want to help them prosper to the best of my ability. To me, saying "fuck future generations, they can figure things out for themselves" is heinously selfish and contradicts my Christian convictions.