Euro 2020 (err 2021 now)

Crazy how good Chiellini is for his age, speaking of CBs.
Chillini is a guy whose game Ive always liked. He was insane today. At one point later in regular time he took Sterling on one on one in the box, hung with him and dispossessed him. He’s amazing.

Also….he played all 120 minutes today. Mad respect.

I remember right before the half Bonnuci takes about 35 yard stab during a build up and half the blue shirts have their hand up like “wtf?” It read at the time as a sign they were in disarray. Then he hits the leveler a little later.

Having Saka take the 5th. Madness. He had never taking a professional penalty so far in his career. Grealish, stones, Shaw, sterling all let a 19 years old go.

Having Saka take the 5th. Madness. He had never taking a professional penalty so far in his career. Grealish, stones, Shaw, sterling all let a 19 years old go.
Well said. Grealish….was he walked off after the thigh injury?

I do struggle to believe that Stones/Shaw/Sterling/anyone couldn’t make a better PK in that moment.

Shame Southgate…..knighthood was so close.

Italy bossed the match and I think them winning is certainly justified. They looked the better squad.

Really unfortunate England brought 2 guys on in the final minutes solely so they could take PKs and they ended up both missing. Hard for me to imagine Sterling or Grealish couldn't take the 5th...maybe they don't like taking PKs? Rashford's was just ugly.

I hate penalties at the best of times for deciding games.

But you have to use your best players in them.

England did not.

I hate penalties at the best of times for deciding games.

But you have to use your best players in them.

England did not.
Well not sure who their best penalty takers are. Kane missed against Denmark and got the lucky bounce. No one remembers that now. Also, they came on cold just for penalties. Penalties are a crap shoot. You can be a great penalty taker but it is never 100% guaranteed even for the best and if your miss comes at the wrong time (like PKs of a playoff type game) it sucks. Hell even Lewandowski missed one this year lol.

Well not sure who their best penalty takers are. Kane missed against Denmark and got the lucky bounce. No one remembers that now. Also, they came on cold just for penalties. Penalties are a crap shoot. You can be a great penalty taker but it is never 100% guaranteed even for the best and if your miss comes at the wrong time (like PKs of a playoff type game) it sucks. Hell even Lewandowski missed one this year lol.

Still, it's pretty much agreed upon he fucked up from what I've read.

PKs should have been
1 Kane
2 Maguire
3 Sterling
4 Shaw
5 Grealish.
Declan Rice should never have been taken off, he was phenomenal. Henderson is good too but shouldn’t have been subbed out, if he had stay in, should’ve shot 4th.
Rashford, Sancho and Saka shouldn’t have been used unless it went passed 5 PKs, even then they should have been after Phillips and Stones.
This loss is solely on Southgate.

PKs should have been
1 Kane
2 Maguire
3 Sterling
4 Shaw
5 Grealish.
Declan Rice should never have been taken off, he was phenomenal. Henderson is good too but shouldn’t have been subbed out, if he had stay in, should’ve shot 4th.
Rashford, Sancho and Saka shouldn’t have been used unless it went passed 5 PKs, even then they should have been after Phillips and Stones.
This loss is solely on Southgate.
According to the Darke and Twellman Henderson is terrible and was likely going to come out.

According to the Darke and Twellman Henderson is terrible and was likely going to come out.
Here are the stats for England squad. Sterling and Henderson do suck from history.

1626134338924.png

Here are the stats for England squad. Sterling and Henderson do suck from history.

View attachment 35581
I think Grealish went out on the injury? Other than that you look at these stats and it makes sense how they lined them up.

It’s just that all those PKs in the stats were never taken with as much pressure as they had on them.

I think Grealish went out on the injury? Other than that you look at these stats and it makes sense how they lined them up.

It’s just that all those PKs in the stats were never taken with as much pressure as they had on them.
Correct probably most in friendlies or Nations League.

Correct probably most in friendlies or Nations League.
So the stats support the lineup. But it still shows a total lack of feel for who can handle the pressure. That’s what took them out.

If you look at England they might have been a bit overrated too. They beat Denmark, Ukraine, and a shitty Germany in the knockouts. Dodged The Netherlands and Sweden. France or Portugal on the other side too. Italy went through Belgium and Spain and then England.

So the stats support the lineup. But it still shows a total lack of feel for who can handle the pressure. That’s what took them out.
That is why I am ok with Rashford and Sancho. Odds were in their favor, but Donnaroma is a different beast. Saying he is the most Neuer-like of any current goalie. Pickford looked like Mini-Me next to him too. Saka was the real mistake imo. Not sure why Saka got so much playing time? Must have comprimising pics of Southgate.

If you look at England they might have been a bit overrated too. They beat Denmark, Ukraine, and a shitty Germany in the knockouts. Dodged The Netherlands and Sweden. France or Portugal on the other side too. Italy went through Belgium and Spain and then England.

Played mostly home games as well

That is why I am ok with Rashford and Sancho. Odds were in their favor, but Donnaroma is a different beast. Saying he is the most Neuer-like of any current goalie. Pickford looked like Mini-Me next to him too. Saka was the real mistake imo. Not sure why Saka got so much playing time? Must have comprimising pics of Southgate.

The ESPNFC boys put it on Southgate as he brought in Rashford and Sancho in the 120th minute strictly for penalties. He brought in 2 guys ice cold off the bench to take the biggest kicks of their live. He set them up for a failure. Bring them in maybe for the 2nd 15 of ET at least to get some rust off at least.

Did anyone notice that ESPN change Soccer to Football on their website. I was here looking all over for the "Soccer" homepage