Evolved to belief in God?

I think we’re hard wired to do so, by design.

Fear of mortality.
Survival instinct.
Creation science.
Diffuse community.
The unexplained.
Need for purpose.
Etc etc...

Most of the primary tenets of modern consciousness lend themselves to believing in a Creator.

Yeah, I'm not so sure about this one. I used to believe in religion when I was in my 20's but I've long since abandoned that concept. That's not to say I completely dismiss the idea that there's some kind of god or creator, it just that none of the ones in religious texts seem to cut it, as far as I'm concerned.

This question is oriented somewhat toward atheist/agnostics, but anyone can share thoughts on this.

According to Pew, 3.1% of Americans identify as atheist. A broader category is religiously unaffiliated, (“nones”). Nones are rising in America but falling worldwide.

Both atheists and people with no religion are falling as a percentage worldwide.

In light of this, my question: if there is no God, why have we evolved from a species that does not believe in God to a species that does?

We have evolved from ape-like ancestors with no belief or even awareness of God to humans, a substantial and growing majority of whom do believe in God.

if there is no God, it seems evolution has been working backward for a hundred thousand years by implanting a false idea into the most highly evolved species.
I was very religious in younger years. I think the concept that there is a creator and higher power is valid and true, but I think most religions miss the true concept fully.

I’ve believe this is due to a few factors, some that speak well to man, and some that don’t.

For example....we needed order in society. Taking religion as explanation of all that is unknown with life is smart evolution.

But evolution doesn’t always lead to smart outcomes. Another part of evolving was learning to take such things and use them for advantage. And this was done with religion too.

Following the evolution example....we’ve come so far in explaining the world with science. But I’ve never agreed with science as a denier of religion. I’ve always seen that as example of the same human downfall of taking knowledge and using it for power.

It’s much more conceivable that science has come along and helped explain just how the creator made the universe. That would be following smart evolution IMO.

Seeing the belief in God as a survival mechanism. I forget the original author, but if there isn't a God then we need to invent one.

It wasn't me, but the guy I stole the name from.

Voltaire​

Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer
If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him​

This might hold some weight if there was one religion. But instead there are thousands of religions that also evolve, and put us at war with one another.

People don't even belive in the Greek gods anymore.

I don't think the OP has any idea what they are talking about.

/thread.

There is absolutely no explanation for why anything exists without a God of some sort. There is literally no reason why we are here.

the problem with religion is that it does NOT evolve... It can not evolve...

the reason this is a problem is that societal norms constantly change... Once people pick and choose what they want to follow, it weakens the religion itself... When you hear priests, ministers, rabbis, imams, or whatever explain how their religions apply to the times it only waters down the religion...

Once the societal norms contradict the religion, new religions are created... But we live in a time where new religions are questioned to the point that they don't get enough followers to become a religion...

the only new one that has any actual following is scientology... but all people not in that religion, only try to discredit it, which is odd, because all religions fight so hard with all that attempt to discredit it...

Advanced knowledge has eliminated the need for the word "God" to explain things.
In the past, things like thunder and disease and natural disasters were framed by ignorant people as signs from an angry God. Ignorant is not an insult here, they just didn't have the knowledge required in those days.

Now that we understand weather and viruses and why tornadoes happen, we don't need an imaginary entity to explain them.

The more we learn about our natural world, the less we require a mysterious overlord to make sense of things.

Didn't the pope just say that even if you don't believe but are good you're getting in?

Nothing to worry about, just don't be a dick.

This question is oriented somewhat toward atheist/agnostics, but anyone can share thoughts on this.

According to Pew, 3.1% of Americans identify as atheist. A broader category is religiously unaffiliated, (“nones”). Nones are rising in America but falling worldwide.

Both atheists and people with no religion are falling as a percentage worldwide.

In light of this, my question: if there is no God, why have we evolved from a species that does not believe in God to a species that does?

We have evolved from ape-like ancestors with no belief or even awareness of God to humans, a substantial and growing majority of whom do believe in God.

if there is no God, it seems evolution has been working backward for a hundred thousand years by implanting a false idea into the most highly evolved species.
Religion is about power & control of the masses.
Religion & Politics are the exact same. Power & control the masses.
They preach the very same things. Hopes & fears.
Lure you in with the hopes (good) & wont let you leave/change through the fears (bad). it is a brilliant way to control mass amount of people.

Religion was mankind's first attempt at explaining our surroundings.

I think most people still cling to it for 3 basic reasons:

1 - Tradition
2 - Fear of death
3 - Power over the masses

No to tradition. No fear of death — hardly any fear at all thanks to Faith. Power?

The only fear is in this thread. Why y’all so scared to pray and trust?

Jesus > Jussie

Religion is about power & control of the masses.
Religion & Politics are the exact same. Power & control the masses.
They preach the very same things. Hopes & fears.
Lure you in with the hopes (good) & wont let you leave/change through the fears (bad). it is a brilliant way to control mass amount of people.

Only fear God says is to fear Him especially when living a sinful life. But he also says to trust in Him and not live in fear of anything of the flesh.

Don’t be sceerd of the Jesus.

Didn't the pope just say that even if you don't believe but are good you're getting in?

Nothing to worry about, just don't be a dick.

The Pope sure as hell isnt the almighty. Believe in Jesus and don’t be a dick... you’re good.