Group of 5 playoff?

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 34,058.00
We've talked about this a lot. I remember discussing it several years ago and some said the Power 5 (as it was known back then) didn't really want the G5 to break off and sweetened the pot somewhat in order to prevent. Guess that has changed.

Will it happen?

Group of Five Playoff

I suspect we're heading for two major conferences (SEC/B10), sucking up all the best teams and then the "rest" having their own playoff/national title. I could even see the two major conferencing forming their own regulatory system, outside of the NCAA.

I personally like the super league model where there was a rotating G5 undercar bracket. Top 2 in each of the G5 conferences get a spot.

Hard to see the BIG/SEC giving up that kind of power without getting got legally somehow.

Soon there will just be the Big 3 conferences left. NFC, AFC , and SEC

Soon there will just be the Big 3 conferences left. NFC, AFC , and SEC
Yeah, but the teams got to walk a tight rope because the closer they get towards pro sports the more in danger college football is.

It makes the most sense and the only argument I've heard against it are the fans of those schools that seem be delusional that they have a chance by saying things no way would I want to be a champion of that playoff when there is a chance to get in the real playoff. Others are comparing it to the NIL.

If you unpack that it's non-sense because winning the G5 championship would be infinitely more valuable than getting the shit kicked out of you by one of the top 5 teams which is pretty much what will happen.

I’ve said it for years now, yes it should happen AND their season should be played NOW as in begin week after Final 4 weekend and end July 4 weekend meaning don’t be stupid and try to compete with the NFL and the Power conferences in the fall for TV time.

The hunger by the consumers for football is there but the time slots are not. They are worth more in the spring.

I’ve said it for years now, yes it should happen AND their season should be played NOW as in begin week after Final 4 weekend and end July 4 weekend meaning don’t be stupid and try to compete with the NFL and the Power conferences in the fall for TV time.

The hunger by the consumers for football is there but the time slots are not. They are worth more in the spring.
Dude that gives the advantage to the Northern teams and you know we have worked for years to make them play in the snow to limit their recruiting. Now you want give away that advantage and kill the Southern players by making them play in the hear during June.

Madness

It makes the most sense and the only argument I've heard against it are the fans of those schools that seem be delusional that they have a chance by saying things no way would I want to be a champion of that playoff when there is a chance to get in the real playoff. Others are comparing it to the NIL.

If you unpack that it's non-sense because winning the G5 championship would be infinitely more valuable than getting the shit kicked out of you by one of the top 5 teams which is pretty much what will happen.
Those of you more "in the know", help an old man out here. If/when the schools start paying the players directly from media revenue, won't that free up additional "donor money" to significantly increase the funds available for NIL purposes??

The G5 schools can't keep up now. It is only going to get worse IMHO.

I really enjoyed going to all of the 2021 Drake Spring Games due to the Pioneer League pushing the 2020 season from Fall to Spring. I love the idea of a Spring CFB Season AND a Fall CFB Season.

Yeah, but the teams got to walk a tight rope because the closer they get towards pro sports the more in danger college football is.
College Football™ as it was is already dead and buried, and maybe never existed at all. The question is moreso what's next and what we can live with.

They're getting the infrastructure in place. FBS has gotten bloated. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Big Ten, Big 12, and SEC (Maybe the ACC depending on how things play out) create a separate division after this CFP contract.

They're getting the infrastructure in place. FBS has gotten bloated. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Big Ten, Big 12, and SEC (Maybe the ACC depending on how things play out) create a separate division after this CFP contract.
The revenue gap is just too large for the ACC and Big 12 to keep up with the B1G and SEC. At least imho.

Only way I can see it is if the B1G and the SEC think somehow they “need” them. I can’t think of a reason. Unless they calculate their CFP revenue would be more sharing some with them.

I suspect we're heading for two major conferences (SEC/B10), sucking up all the best teams and then the "rest" having their own playoff/national title. I could even see the two major conferencing forming their own regulatory system, outside of the NCAA.
They already have all the teams that matter. The only 3 that actually can move an economic needle are ND, Clemson, and FSU. Adding any more would actually water down what they already have. TV isn't paying more for NCSU, or Wake, or Pitt.

There is value in having viable B12 and ACC conferences. The P2 will certainly control things, but I think even they know they will lose a lot of CFP value if it's just those two.

Those of you more "in the know", help an old man out here. If/when the schools start paying the players directly from media revenue, won't that free up additional "donor money" to significantly increase the funds available for NIL purposes??

The G5 schools can't keep up now. It is only going to get worse IMHO.
Part of paying the players directly will be a CBA. Part of the CBA will be a rule on NIL that it has to be related to real economic value so that the pay for play aspect of NIL goes away because they are already getting paid to play. If the players agree to that, then the NCAA can enforce it.

No one wants to watch football in the Spring.

The revenue gap is just too large for the ACC and Big 12 to keep up with the B1G and SEC. At least imho.

Only way I can see it is if the B1G and the SEC think somehow they “need” them. I can’t think of a reason. Unless they calculate their CFP revenue would be more sharing some with them.

They won't be able to keep up but I think the calculation will be that the pie will be larger if you include more parts of the country. And if the Big 12 and ACC don't take as much of the CFP money, I don't think they'll be thrown to the curb. Maybe the ACC will be if they lose a significant number of members to the other 3 conferences.

They won't be able to keep up but I think the calculation will be that the pie will be larger if you include more parts of the country. And if the Big 12 and ACC don't take as much of the CFP money, I don't think they'll be thrown to the curb. Maybe the ACC will be if they lose a significant number of members to the other 3 conferences.
This. While the P2 wants the lion's share of the revenue, I think they recognize that they are better off as a national competition, at some level.

The G5 should do the following ... have their own CFP, but pull a WNBA and have the CFB throw in some millions to sweeten the pot. They are basically now just giving money to the G5 anyway. It's not like the G6 teams could ever win or that they drive any revenue for the CFP. So just give the G5their share and have them do their own playoff. It will be watched at some level, the fans should enjoy it more, and they should make more than they make now if the P4 will go along with still giving them their share.