Group of 5 playoff?

I’ve said it for years now, yes it should happen AND their season should be played NOW as in begin week after Final 4 weekend and end July 4 weekend meaning don’t be stupid and try to compete with the NFL and the Power conferences in the fall for TV time.

The hunger by the consumers for football is there but the time slots are not. They are worth more in the spring.

G5 should still be in fall. FCS and down should be in spring. get rid of the games vs Mercer and Villanova and such. even if playing Sam Houston State and UMass might sill not be entertaining
if the season started after March madness and they played a relatively similar schedule we would be looking at roughly June 29 to end the regular season. then a 5 week playoff. that season would end way past July 4.
Most spring sports start play in Feb. starting in March would have the playoff end in roughly mid/late June right around same as all other spring sports and the school year.

going against March Madness shouldnt be a big deal. while most people arent watching as much FCS football in general the potential for some in spring might change viewership. maybe. Maybe instead of every game like with P4 being on TV they reduce to a few feature games a week. ranked vs ranked. ranked vs good record teams that might just be outside the rankings.

No one wants to watch football in the Spring.
Oh really, so you didn’t watch the Georgia spring game I take it?
Where it’s meaningless other than getting a look at prospects for “the varsity” team this fall.
55k in Athens, yes you won’t get that per game for G5 but when there is talent there that is either earmarked for your team via the portal or getting a look at potential college level prospects to help your big boy team without trying to see them in the fall while your “varsity” team is playing.

I ain’t buying it, a significant portion of fans will watch games when there is a direct connection to their team. That will draw in P5 fans that ordinarily would give a rip. Any loyal fans of those G5 programs that show is just gravy on the biscuits .

Last edited:
They already have all the teams that matter. The only 3 that actually can move an economic needle are ND, Clemson, and FSU. Adding any more would actually water down what they already have. TV isn't paying more for NCSU, or Wake, or Pitt.

There is value in having viable B12 and ACC conferences. The P2 will certainly control things, but I think even they know they will lose a lot of CFP value if it's just those two.
I think there’s a few stragglers out there. Clemson, FSU, ND (like you said) and maybe like a Baylor or TCU; or equivalent teams.

There’s some value in those other conferences now; because they play with the big ones. Remove the Sec and B10 from their schedule or future bowl games and it goes down quite a bit.

College Football™ as it was is already dead and buried, and maybe never existed at all. The question is moreso what's next and what we can live with.
Right now kids still have to attend a university. Without the NCAA then there isn’t a need for school

Oh really, so you didn’t watch the Georgia spring game I take it?
Where it’s meaningless other than getting a look at prospects for “the varsity” team this fall.
55k in Athens, yes you won’t get that per game for G5 but when there is talent there that is either earmarked for your team via the portal or getting a look at potential college level prospects to help your big boy team without trying to see them in the fall while your “varsity” team is playing.

I ain’t buying it, a significant portion of fans will watch games when there is a direct connection to their team. That will draw in P5 fans that ordinarily would give a rip. Any loyal fans of those G5 programs that show is just gravy on the biscuits .
No, I didn't watch all of the Spring game. I watched a few things here and there, but I had more important things to do. If I am going to watch the spring game, I'll go to Athens ... I've been to 2 at UGA, 2 at Bama (parent weekend type thing).

Also, spring game is one game, not an entire season. For me, Spring is March Madness, then NHL/Stanley Cup, and MLB. I am sure others may like the NBA.

USFL/XFL type leagues have tried it with limited success. Also, you can't suddenly change the college football schedule without affecting spring sports schedules.

So, other than that your post is spot on.

I heard on a podcast that the old Tennessee coach, Dooley maybe, has a "thing" he is looking into to make this happen. However, when the money with which TV networks will actually want it is taken into account, it doesn't look that appealing. Those are the podcast guys' words, not mine. I mean a first round playoff of Western Michigan vs. Nevada won't move the needle for tons of folks.

I heard on a podcast that the old Tennessee coach, Dooley maybe, has a "thing" he is looking into to make this happen. However, when the money with which TV networks will actually want it is taken into account, it doesn't look that appealing. Those are the podcast guys' words, not mine. I mean a first round playoff of Western Michigan vs. Nevada won't move the needle for tons of folks.
Yeah, I think the money would be similar to the FCS playoffs. (I do like the idea of playing the early round games at home stadiums.)

I think it depends on how big of a piece of the CFP pie the biggies are willing to part with. From what I understand, it has been more beneficial financially to NOT have their own playoff. Putting the financial factor behind the competitive factor, it would definitely be better for them to have their own playoff. But we know money trumps everything else.

random team name pull? neither of those teams would have been in it in recent years.

likely last year would have had something like
1. Liberty
2. SMU
3. Miami Oh
4. Troy
5. James Madison
6. Tulane
7. Toledo
8. UTSA
9. Ohio
10. Memphis
11. New Mexico State
12. Boise state

so
UTSA vs Ohio-----Liberty
James Madison vs Boise--------SMU
Tulane vs NMSU------Miami OH
Toledo vs Memphis-Troy

I dont know how the rankings would be. i just included 5 champs and 5 others with good records.

Yeah, I think the money would be similar to the FCS playoffs. (I do like the idea of playing the early round games at home stadiums.)

I think it depends on how big of a piece of the CFP pie the biggies are willing to part with. From what I understand, it has been more beneficial financially to NOT have their own playoff. Putting the financial factor behind the competitive factor, it would definitely be better for them to have their own playoff. But we know money trumps everything else.
The G5 gets 9% of the CFP contract, or $117M a year. The P5 gain nothing for that. It's not like the one G5 team that gets in adds any TV revenue. It's always been a gift to keep those schools off their backs, and possibly some anti-trust ramifications.

The P5 could simply say, we will give you $100 million to go away and have your own tournament. Your one team will never win the NC, so go have your own NC. It will mean something.

I say this as a Vandy grad where I know I would follow Vandy much closer if they were in a Brainiac Conference instead of the SEC. Where we had something we could actually win and care about.

Thoughts?

also i havent seen anything that suggests they would follow the CFP in set up either. they could go with 10 team only champions and runners up.

Something like
1. 13-0 Liberty
2. 11- 2 SMU
3. 11-2 Miami OH
4. 11-2 Troy
5. 8-5 Boise
6. 11-2 Tulane
7. 11-2 Toledo
8. 10-4 NMSU
9. 9-4 UNLV
10. 8-5 App state

NMSU vs UNLV----------------Liberty
Troy vs Boise
Toledo vs App State----------SMU
Miami OH vs Tulane

The G5 gets 9% of the CFP contract, or $117M a year. The P5 gain nothing for that. It's not like the one G5 team that gets in adds any TV revenue. It's always been a gift to keep those schools off their backs, and possibly some anti-trust ramifications.

The P5 could simply say, we will give you $100 million to go away and have your own tournament. Your one team will never win the NC, so go have your own NC. It will mean something.

I say this as a Vandy grad where I know I would follow Vandy much closer if they were in a Brainiac Conference instead of the SEC. Where we had something we could actually win and care about.

Thoughts?
I agree. I've wondered why the biggies have ever been willing to pay them that 9% and allow a slot in the NY 6 bowls. I guess it is because of the anti trust possibility you reference. You're the attorney but I don't see how the G5s could win that suit if filed.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but how many G5s would have qualified for the CFP at 12 slots? I'm sure there have been a few over the years, but the only way they would have made any noise is if the rest of CFB was "down" that year.

But I may be all wet because I've thought for quite a while that teams like Vandy (and several others in the P5s) didn't stand a chance of any CFP success. Then TCU beats Michigan so I guess theVandy's, Northwesterns, Wake's of the world may have a shot if they make it into the 12. But there is still a HUGE gap between G5s and the lower P5s imo. And there is damn near as big a gap between the top of the P5 and the bottom...which shouldn't be. The amount of money the lower P5s are receiving should have narrowed that gap. JMO

also i havent seen anything that suggests they would follow the CFP in set up either. they could go with 10 team only champions and runners up.

Something like
1. 13-0 Liberty
2. 11- 2 SMU
3. 11-2 Miami OH
4. 11-2 Troy
5. 8-5 Boise
6. 11-2 Tulane
7. 11-2 Toledo
8. 10-4 NMSU
9. 9-4 UNLV
10. 8-5 App state

NMSU vs UNLV----------------Liberty
Troy vs Boise
Toledo vs App State----------SMU
Miami OH vs Tulane
Other than the CFB crazies like those of us that banter on here, I don't think those games would attract many casual CFB viewers and corresponding media revenue offer. (That's a "duh" comment as my grandkids say.)

random team name pull? neither of those teams would have been in it in recent years.

likely last year would have had something like
1. Liberty
2. SMU
3. Miami Oh
4. Troy
5. James Madison
6. Tulane
7. Toledo
8. UTSA
9. Ohio
10. Memphis
11. New Mexico State
12. Boise state

so
UTSA vs Ohio-----Liberty
James Madison vs Boise--------SMU
Tulane vs NMSU------Miami OH
Toledo vs Memphis-Troy

I dont know how the rankings would be. i just included 5 champs and 5 others with good records.
Yeah random name pull. See how much it matters. I didn't even bother to look up "good" records or recent "champs".

I agree. I've wondered why the biggies have ever been willing to pay them that 9% and allow a slot in the NY 6 bowls. I guess it is because of the anti trust possibility you reference. You're the attorney but I don't see how the G5s could win that suit if filed.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but how many G5s would have qualified for the CFP at 12 slots? I'm sure there have been a few over the years, but the only way they would have made any noise is if the rest of CFB was "down" that year.

But I may be all wet because I've thought for quite a while that teams like Vandy (and several others in the P5s) didn't stand a chance of any CFP success. Then TCU beats Michigan so I guess theVandy's, Northwesterns, Wake's of the world may have a shot if they make it into the 12. But there is still a HUGE gap between G5s and the lower P5s imo. And there is damn near as big a gap between the top of the P5 and the bottom...which shouldn't be. The amount of money the lower P5s are receiving should have narrowed that gap. JMO
You can see the difference here in the budgets between the lower teams - Wake Rutgers, Mizzou - and G5 teams. You won't find Vandy and NW and Duke as they aren't required to publish those numbers being private schools.

Other than the CFB crazies like those of us that banter on here, I don't think those games would attract many casual CFB viewers and corresponding media revenue offer. (That's a "duh" comment as my grandkids say.)
no likely not. I would bet the final game woulndt even draw NY6 numbers