Heading To Upstate NY

Fog

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 17,000.00
Next week, I'm off to Upstate NY for a wedding.

Going to have a few days to do some sightseeing.

Any suggestions on things to do?

Going to be staying in Lowville.

Flying into Boston and getting a rental car.

Lots and lots of beautiful wilderness up there but the people are weird as hell and so are the restaurants (if you can even find one).

Where you're going, good luck. I'll be in Otsego County late next month for six long, grueling, painful, long, miserable, long nights at my parents-in-law. At least the food and drink is good there but holy shit is it weird. Everything is as expensive as hell and there are literally no restaurants. The big thing to do is go to Cooperstown. There's like five or six restaurants there and Mickey Mantle even ate at one one time back in the 70's. Biggest thing to happen to that area of the state I guess.

Lots and lots of beautiful wilderness up there but the people are weird as hell and so are the restaurants (if you can even find one).

Where you're going, good luck. I'll be in Otsego County late next month for six long, grueling, painful, long, miserable, long nights at my parents-in-law. At least the food and drink is good there but holy shit is it weird. Everything is as expensive as hell and there are literally no restaurants. The big thing to do is go to Cooperstown. There's like five or six restaurants there and Mickey Mantle even ate at one one time back in the 70's. Biggest thing to happen to that area of the state I guess.
My girlfriend wants to go visit some cemeteries, yeah she's weird and probably fits in well in them parts. Cooperstown is about 2 hours away and would love to visit. She also wants to go to the beach....I'm guessing Lake Erie. I've never been there so it should be interesting.

Truth!

My girlfriend wants to go visit some cemeteries, yeah she's weird and probably fits in well in them parts. Cooperstown is about 2 hours away and would love to visit. She also wants to go to the beach....I'm guessing Lake Erie. I've never been there so it should be interesting.
I don’t know how much time you guys have.

The beach maybe would be better on Lake Ontario when you are day before, of or after the wedding. Erie is a long way from where the hitchin is going down. And Erie will stink this time year. It’s been warm. And it is Ohio gross. Even the NY stretch of Erie, all that water slid past, most of anyway, slid past Ohio.

Again, don’t know the amount of free time. But having done a lot of cemetery road trips since I was say 3, The Old Burying Ground in Salem would something I’d recommend to start. After you get the car in Boston.

Reactions: Fog
I don’t know how much time you guys have.

The beach maybe would be better on Lake Ontario when you are day before, of or after the wedding. Erie is a long way from where the hitchin is going down. And Erie will stink this time year. It’s been warm. And it is Ohio gross. Even the NY stretch of Erie, all that water slid past, most of anyway, slid past Ohio.

Again, don’t know the amount of free time. But having done a lot of cemetery road trips since I was say 3, The Old Burying Ground in Salem would something I’d recommend to start. After you get the car in Boston.
I'm thinking I have my lakes mixed up as to where they want to visit...they have some plans....lol

Talking to my GF she said she has been to Salem and the cemetery there but would like to go ago.

She wants to go to Lyons Falls Cemetery.....

I told her I want to go to Coopers Town...we'll see

I'm thinking I have my lakes mixed up as to where they want to visit...they have some plans....lol

Talking to my GF she said she has been to Salem and the cemetery there but would like to go ago.

I drove on my learners permit all the way thru Ontario and down to Cooperstown. With a bunch of cemeteries in between. Head’s up on hay wagons. And hit Salem as an adult. It’s good American fun.

Lake Erie has some great setups for sunsets. But it smells and is a lot of mileage for you on this trip. Lake Ontario is magnificent. I’m sure they have a few spots on mind. Eat at the places in little towns that seem busy. You’ll get steered in the right direction, so long as you make nice.

I could get into the cemeteries. I'm assuming she's doing some genealogical research or hobby stuff? We went to a historical mansion somewhere near Cooperstown that was really interesting. Also, I think John Jacob Astor's house (or one of the many) is somewhere around there.

When I go up there, the entire time I'm wondering why in the hell anyone would choose to live in such a place. 7 months out of the year it's cold and dark and the rest of the time all you see is trees and shit.

Last edited:
Next week, I'm off to Upstate NY for a wedding.

Going to have a few days to do some sightseeing.

Any suggestions on things to do?

Going to be staying in Lowville.

Flying into Boston and getting a rental car.

We have airports.

Lyons falls is only an hour or so from me. So you will be on the west side of the Adirondacks. Like hammer said, it's in the middle of nowhere. Anyone that gets up this way I suggest Lake Placid and to tour the old olympic venues. @Hu War Yu was there this spring. he may have some good updated stuff to do there. But that would be taking you away from lake ontario. Like smitty said, the east side of lake ontario gets you a great sunset and there are some very cute B&B's all over.

Syracuse has some nice places to eat and lyons falls is in between Watertown and Syracuse. Delmonico's in Syracuse is one I like which specializes in Italian and Steaks. You won't get in the door on a Friday or Saturday night. Always call for reservations no matter what day of the week.

The seafood will disappoint you in this area. Don't come to this part of NY and dine out seafood. Get that in Boston before you drive here if that's something you want.

When I was up in Lake Placid it was still iced over, so everything was skiing and ice skating. Really hope to go back in summer!

Cooperstown is nice, and if you are into cemeteries, there's one in town where James Fennimore is buried. It's at Christ Church Episcopal, we visited about 20 years ago.

My lake is Lake George, smack in the Adirondacks. Tons to do there if you like lakefront. But that water never gets warm. It's a great place to sail or powerboat/ski/tube

When I was up in Lake Placid it was still iced over, so everything was skiing and ice skating. Really hope to go back in summer!

Cooperstown is nice, and if you are into cemeteries, there's one in town where James Fennimore is buried. It's at Christ Church Episcopal, we visited about 20 years ago.

My lake is Lake George, smack in the Adirondacks. Tons to do there if you like lakefront. But that water never gets warm. It's a great place to sail or powerboat/ski/tube
Lake George, boy that one’s a classic for me. Would go there every year for “vacation” as a kid. Was definitely the place where a poor family could pull the wool over their kids eyes when all their friends were going to Disney…

Just met up with @Fog and his lady in Watertown for lunch. Two very cool people. If they get to your neck of the woods, make sure to have them by.

:yo:

Why you two-timin--!!

:happy:

lol...I meant to reply to your earlier post about Lake Placid...you really owe the family a trip there in the height of winter to tour the Olympic events.