Home Office

No, the trick is to hire a professional. He'll have a good sliding mitre box that allows him to cut the outside corners flat on the saw and he'll know that you cope inside corners :thumb:

So you don't know anything about the subject. Thanks for sharing all that knowledge with us.....

Ha, you should see the 16" crown I did in the living room. 5 different off-the-shelf moldings were put together to make that - and it was a bitch 19' off the floor. I had to climb up and down the scaffold for most of the cuts. That said, it was stupid. Had I just glued a big, ornate foam crown up there, nobody would have known the difference....don't know what I was thinking.

Watch this...it's not hard. People make it difficult. It isn't.

Watch this...it's not hard. People make it difficult. It isn't.

That's the only way to do that, right? I can't imagine there's another way - the angle would never be correct.

The only time cutting a crown is a hassle is when you have a 16' piece and have to put it on the saw right with one hand and chop it with the other....gets a little squirrely.

Ha, you should see the 16" crown I did in the living room. 5 different off-the-shelf moldings were put together to make that - and it was a bitch 19' off the floor. I had to climb up and down the scaffold for most of the cuts. That said, it was stupid. Had I just glued a big, ornate foam crown up there, nobody would have known the difference....don't know what I was thinking.
I've done some pretty ridiculous crown moldings over the years, but unless it's a small molding or a small room it was always a 2 man job. Multi-piece crowns can be a bitch, but you can cut all the pieces for one run at the same time if you know what you're doing :eyebrows:

That's the only way to do that, right? I can't imagine there's another way - the angle would never be correct.

The only time cutting a crown is a hassle is when you have a 16' piece and have to put it on the saw right with one hand and chop it with the other....gets a little squirrely.
Piece of cake!

I've done some pretty ridiculous crown moldings over the years, but unless it's a small molding or a small room it was always a 2 man job. Multi-piece crowns can be a bitch, but you can cut all the pieces for one run at the same time if you know what you're doing :eyebrows:
Yeah, you put them all together first and then chop 'em. Still, I didn't have a saw big enough to cut that on an angle. So, I cut a lot of it by hand with a scroll saw. Plus, it was so stiff that any wall imperfections caused problems.

Just put a ladder on the overhang end...... let that end be supported by a rung.

Yeah, you put them all together first and then chop 'em. Still, I didn't have a saw big enough to cut that on an angle. So, I cut a lot of it by hand with a scroll saw. Plus, it was so stiff that any wall imperfections caused problems.

No, I wouldn't do it like that. I would just do all the pieces on one wall and then take the measurements for the next wall and head for the cutting station. Gotta remember, if you're coping the inside corners like you're supposed to you have a little bit to play with as one wall overlaps the other. The really tricky shit is when you get to the last wall and you have to cope both ends,

Just put a ladder on the overhang end...... let that end be supported by a rung.
I have a dewalt mitre box stand with sliding extensions at both ends and I still have run into situations where I've used a step ladder just like you did.

No, I wouldn't do it like that. I would just do all the pieces on one wall and then take the measurements for the next wall and head for the cutting station. Gotta remember, if you're coping the inside corners like you're supposed to you have a little bit to play with as one wall overlaps the other. The really tricky shit is when you get to the last wall and you have to cope both ends,
The little finishing nail is still sticking out of that last corner....from when I tacked it up before using the nail gun. I never yanked it out and it's too much of a PITA to go back up and get it. The damned drunk painter left it there and painted over it.

...and try like hell to keep that little flat edge against the saw box with one hand while choppin' it!
Like I said earlier, if you have a good sliding compound miter saw you can cut the material flat on the table.

The little finishing nail is still sticking out of that last corner....from when I tacked it up before using the nail gun. I never yanked it out and it's too much of a PITA to go back up and get it. The damned drunk painter left it there and painted over it.
I'll send you a nail set for Xmas :ROFLMAO:

Like I said earlier, if you have a good sliding compound miter saw you can cut the material flat on the table.
Yeah, I know. But I was told compound miters are only for the gays. Real men do it the hard way and then complain about it later.

Thanks for your contribution to the thread. Your input will be invaluable to OP when he decides to take on this project.

You've made several claims in this thread and yet you have failed to explain the procedures on how to actually do a single one.

But you forgot more about crown molding than anyone else ever knew.....

Yeah, I know. But I was told compound miters are only for the gays. Real men do it the hard way and then complain about it later.
Yeah, not quite. Compound mitre saws are for professionals, simple chop saws are good enough for Joe Homeowner since they don't know what the hell they are doing anyways.