Iowa and Iowa State gambling scandal. ISU #1 QB is probably finshed.

Confused Pete Rose GIF by WWE

Wonder if the state of Iowa steps in and restricts some online betting for a little while?

Update on the sports gambling investigation that rocked Iowa and ISU Athletics.

Attorney Van Plumb is requesting that the State provide requested discovery as well as additional discovery after the deposition of DCI Special Agents on 1/19/24.

The motion filed today lays out how the attorney alleged the investigation began:

“The State’s argument that “DCI agents began to identify irregular online/mobile sports wagering activity originating from state organizations that regularly participate in sanctioned sports wagering contests” was actually the result of Special Agent Brian Sanger conducting a warrantless search on Iowa and Iowa State’s campuses. Special Agent Brian Sanger was given access to a tool that can invade people’s privacy. He initially used Kibana to place a warrantless GeoFence around a freshman/sophomore dorm at the University of Iowa to investigate underage gambling without any tips, complaints, or evidence that underage gambling was occurring. The use of Kibana allowed him to see that online betting applications were opened in the dorms but the software did not allow him to determine if bets were actually being made. The other information he was able to see was the account numbers associated with the applications which did not contain identifying information about who was using the account. Special Agent Sanger approached his superior Troy Nelson and Assistant DCI Director Jobes to ask for permission to continue the investigation. He was told no.

“Special Agent Sanger then decided to target an athletic facility at the University of Iowa because it was a stand-alone facility with restricted access to athletes, coaching staff and support personal. Again, this was done without a warrant, tips, complaints, or evidence that illegal gambling was occurring.

“Special Agent Sanger identified the same information he had in relation to the dorm. He consulted his team of Heather Dunow, Phil Kennedy, Chris Atkins, and Chris Swigart to discuss continuing the investigation and again approached Special Agent Troy Nelson and Assistant Director Jobes who gave him the green light to continue the investigation.
“Without reasonable cause the team of Special Agents targeted more facilities as well as began requesting subpoenas to obtain account information on hundreds of private citizens private information which was also without reasonable cause.

“The result was the indictment of a handful of Iowa’s Student Athletes even though the privacy of hundreds had been invaded.
“During Special Agent Sanger’s deposition on January 19, 2024, he stated that he cannot remember why he decided to conduct the warrantless searches but that he was concerned about things such as people infiltrating Iowa’s sports team to gain insider information or match fixing.

“Special Agent Sanger also stated that only those Athletes that had used an account registered to a different person were charged and that those who had gambled in an account in their names were handled administratively. The Defense has received information that indicates this is not true and that in fact, there is a possibility that only high-profile athletes were targeted when charges were filed in the fall of 2023.”

Sports gambling investigations...

what a wonderful use of taxpayer $$$ and law enforcement resources... certainly a great societal concern and a high priority.

:burt:

He initially used Kibana to place a warrantless GeoFence around a freshman/sophomore dorm at the University of Iowa to investigate underage gambling without any tips, complaints, or evidence that underage gambling was occurring.
That’s fucked

Violation of the constitution?

Morons. I was the go between for 3 years in college between the football players and the bookie in Oklahoma City. Bets, parlay tickets, you name it......I placed the wagers, collected money and paid off bets. Nobody but me ever talked to the bookie. I never saw a player bet against their own team. Ever. The bets were probably 95% on other teams. Only a few bets were on us to beat a point spread and that was very rare because everyone thought it was janky to bet on ourselves. I only had one guy try to welch on a bet and the players convinced him very quickly he needed to pay up. Who got hurt? Nobody. Cheesy? Maybe a little bit. Stupid like these guys? Nope.
Reported to the NCAA.

I’m recommending the death penalty.