iPhone

in using this iPhone that’s sort of where I’m at. I wanted something “new” because I’m a basic bitch and I realized I got an entry level iPhone just to try it but In playing with it for a few days, I don’t know why I switched. Google made me the mads with all their dumb ecosystem changes but i am not liking this iPhone stuff at all. For every little benefit I’m seeing, I’m not getting larger functionality elsewhere.

Take me back, google!
I had the 180-degree opposite reaction. After literally throwing an Android phone against a brock wall because I couldn't figure out how to make a phone call on it, I got an iPhone and never looked back. Everything has always just worked and been so intuitive. I struggle with everything on Android. I can never figure anything out and when someone shows me how to do something my reaction is invariably "why Why WHY do it like THAT?"

I had the 180-degree opposite reaction. After literally throwing an Android phone against a brock wall because I couldn't figure out how to make a phone call on it, I got an iPhone and never looked back. Everything has always just worked and been so intuitive. I struggle with everything on Android. I can never figure anything out and when someone shows me how to do something my reaction is invariably "why Why WHY do it like THAT?"
iPhone just reminds me of a slightly smarter flip phone. Like it’s a screen with apps on it that can do some “smart” stuff. When I go to my “Home Screen” I want it to be my Home Screen. Tell me the time, the weather and give me the few apps I use all the time. Then I can use the other screens for “production”. While storing the random shit I rarely use in a “drawer”. Every time I open my iPhone it’s “HEY HERES 75 OF YOUR APPS. IF YOU SWIPE OVER, HERES 75 MORE”

Even little shit like the keyboard not having punctuation on the main board without needing to shift is bothering me.

iPhone just reminds me of a slightly smarter flip phone. Like it’s a screen with apps on it that can do some “smart” stuff. When I go to my “Home Screen” I want it to be my Home Screen. Tell me the time, the weather and give me the few apps I use all the time. Then I can use the other screens for “production”. While storing the random shit I rarely use in a “drawer”. Every time I open my iPhone it’s “HEY HERES 75 OF YOUR APPS. IF YOU SWIPE OVER, HERES 75 MORE”

Even little shit like the keyboard not having punctuation on the main board without needing to shift is bothering me.
Lulz @you turning into a grumpy old man by the minute. Don’t forget to shake your fist at the clouds later.

Lulz @you turning into a grumpy old man by the minute. Don’t forget to shake your fist at the clouds later.

oh you GIF

So after manually getting rid of every single app off all the screens, I’ve monkeyed with it enough and have it set up pretty much like an Android now with my “home screen” defaulting to the same type of widgets as on Android. Not that annoying anymore. The only annoying part remaining is not having a dedicated app drawer button and having to swipe two screens over to get to the “App Library” instead.

Let's also not pretend that the Samsung phones are a great value at $1400. They're overpriced.
All of the big brands main phones start at around $700 and go up to $1500 plus. They all have budget options between $300-$500. The overpriced argument just doesn’t hold up anymore, unless you want to argue they’re all overpriced.

Can't you turn in your 11 and get a 12 for "free"? Just commit to another contract? I thought someone told me that... or get like, $900 off a 12 with an exchange of an 8 or newer?
I don’t think that’s a thing. Device payment plans are the new contract. I think a lot of carriers will let you trade in your device once half is paid off, but you don’t get the new one for free. You’d get whatever they say the trade in value is towards it, which is never going to be $900, and if you hadn’t paid half of it off yet and have to make that payment it’s probably a wash anyway.

Unless some carrier has some crazy deal going or something.

So after manually getting rid of every single app off all the screens, I’ve monkeyed with it enough and have it set up pretty much like an Android now with my “home screen” defaulting to the same type of widgets as on Android. Not that annoying anymore. The only annoying part remaining is not having a dedicated app drawer button and having to swipe two screens over to get to the “App Library” instead.
swipe down and see your most used things and search

much easier than hunting for apps.

swipe down and see your most used things and search

much easier than hunting for apps.
Correct, but "swipe down" from anywhere but the top of the screen. Swipe down from teh top to see your notifications. Swipe down from the top right to get to your control center.

Correct, but "swipe down" from anywhere but the top of the screen. Swipe down from teh top to see your notifications. Swipe down from the top right to get to your control center.

yeah, I should have been more specific. I don't even hunt for anything not on my home screen anymore. I have them pretty organized in folders, but the siri search is so much quicker for apps not on my home screen.

Last edited:
I don’t think that’s a thing. Device payment plans are the new contract. I think a lot of carriers will let you trade in your device once half is paid off, but you don’t get the new one for free. You’d get whatever they say the trade in value is towards it, which is never going to be $900, and if you hadn’t paid half of it off yet and have to make that payment it’s probably a wash anyway.

Unless some carrier has some crazy deal going or something.
It was a thing for a little bit. My cousin traded in his 10 and got a new 12 in October. Pretty sure his carrier is Verizon, doesn't look like they're still offering it. I just went to AT&T's site (my fuckass carrier) and they are offering $700 for a trade in of an 8 and newer.

My wife's new-ish iPhone 11 got ruined by taking it in swimming with us. Never even got it one foot deep and the screen is ruined. All of our friends are like "everyone knows that you never take an iPhone in the water." WTF We've both done it dozens of times.

So...

We kept our old 6S Plus'es and what we did is: I gave her my newer, mint 11, I moved back onto my 6S Plus and then in a couple of months when we're back in the US I'm going to get a 12 Pro Max when they drop a little in price after the 13 is available.

My wife's new-ish iPhone 11 got ruined by taking it in swimming with us. Never even got it one foot deep and the screen is ruined. All of our friends are like "everyone knows that you never take an iPhone in the water." WTF We've both done it dozens of times.
Lol potato

So...

We kept our old 6S Plus'es and what we did is: I gave her my newer, mint 11, I moved back onto my 6S Plus and then in a couple of months when we're back in the US I'm going to get a 12 Pro Max when they drop a little in price after the 13 is available.
you aren't in the US?

Other than 18 months in 2015-16, I haven't lived in the US since 2011. A year in Europe and now something south of the Tropic of Cancer.
interesting. Didn't know that.

cool

Other than 18 months in 2015-16, I haven't lived in the US since 2011. A year in Europe and now something south of the Tropic of Cancer.
Noted.

Thank you for narrowing our search.