Leap of faith - religion or science?

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 91,200.00
I have to go universal. Since there is no such thing as perfect knowledge, all decisions are made with incomplete data.

At some point a "Leaf of Faith" must occur in order to initiate action. Whether you system is based on a metaphysical foundation or a mechanical one, you cannot escape the Leap.

I have to go universal. Since there is no such thing as perfect knowledge, all decisions are made with incomplete data.

At some point a "Leaf of Faith" must occur in order to initiate action. Whether you system is based on a metaphysical foundation or a mechanical one, you cannot escape the Leap.

I reject your premise.

Religion involves a static doctrine.

Science involves an evolving method per evidence.

Faith is useless.

I reject your premise.

Faith is useless.

Are you saying that science has perfect knowledge and science bases decisions on that?

Are you saying that science has perfect knowledge and science bases decisions on that?

No. "Science" (we) has evolving knowledge as new evidence is presented.

Good question ... My Faith or Spirituality is based on Science (which is imperfect and I am not as educated in Science as I should be). So I will be sleepiness thinking about this tonight.

Instead of "religion" you should have probably gone with "faith" or "spirituality."

Tank you ... I used your terminology!!!

No. "Science" (we) has evolving knowledge as new evidence is presented.
That is only saying that your decisions can change. Admitting to imperfect data means there is a "Leap of Faith". Not faith in a religious sense, maybe more a faith in the system?

I reject your premise.

Faith is useless.
Right. The science of global warming and the science of gender fluidity and the science of homosexuality don't revolve around a static dogma at all :rolleyes2:

That is only saying that your decisions can change. Admitting to imperfect data means there is a "Leap of Faith". Not faith in a religious sense, maybe more a faith in the system?

Yes

No

I reject your premise.

Faith is useless.
True. Three different things: science, faith and religion. Science admits weakness in its quest to uncover answers, but does so in a slow, objective manner. Faith is a scab that is put in place in a knowingly wrong premise, in substitution for the truth. Religion capitalizes upon the faith of those who rely on it for survival to enrich themselves with power or wealth.

There is no "faith" in accepting new data as it arrives. That would be more akin to "acceptance."
It is not about the data but what happens after the data. "Leap of Faith" is what happens after the data is assimilated and there is still no certainty.

If a theory has 99.98% certainty "leap of faith" is the other 0.02%

True. Three different things: science, faith and religion. Science admits weakness in its quest to uncover answers, but does so in a slow, objective manner. Faith is a scab that is put in place in a knowingly wrong premise, in substitution for the truth. Religion capitalizes upon the faith of those who rely on it for survival to enrich themselves with power or wealth.
No.

Too much of what passes for science (re: climate and gender) today is a sham that plays the scientific method backwards. I threw our resident water head a bone a couple of hours ago to see if he could admit that a lot of modern science has been corrupted by politics, but he is not too bright and he failed miserably as he usually does.

Consider that the origins of modern science are rooted in the theologians and without the intellectuals that the church educated science as we know would have been set back several hundred years or more. I'm not a religious guy, but I can't sit here and deny the obvious. No one that takes a pragmatic view of modern science has an issue with the contributions of the "church" nor do they just discount faith out of hand as if it is witchcraft.

It is not about the data but what happens after the data. "Leap of Faith" is what happens after the data is assimilated and there is still no certainty.

If a theory has 99.98% certainty "leap of faith" is the other 0.02%

That renders the term "leap of faith" meaningless.

"Faith" is hollow. Acceptance of new information is paramount.

That renders the term "leap of faith" meaningless.

"Faith" is hollow. Acceptance of new information is paramount.
Tough to talk when we don't even use the same definition. One has "faith" that the sun will rise in the morning. But you don't have the data yet to prove it.

Since science will state that "The sun will rise in the morning". It has taken that "leap of faith". All predictive science makes the leap that the data will repeat.

Tough to talk when we don't even use the same definition. One has "faith" that the sun will rise in the morning. But you don't have the data yet to prove it.

Now, I see this line of logic as ridiculous. We have no reason to think the Earth will suddenly refuse to rotate. That doesn't need faith. Faith would be the opposite. We already know from evidence that the world will keep spinning.

Since will state that "The sun will rise in the morning". It has taken that "leap of faith". All predictive science makes the leap that the data will repeat.

No. I need no faith, just understanding. If something HUGE happens that could make the Earth stop rotating, we'd all be dead before we could ponder the question.