LOL, Gators ... we stole your hoops coach

So which football power also has had good basketball? OU has historically been solid. 3 National Players of the year in Blake Griffin, Buddy Hield, and Trey Young. Multiple final four appearances. Texas has been good but OU holds a big lead vs them head to head and has more tourney wins. OU beat Arkansas and Florida this year and should improve the SEC as a basketball league.

SEC is a frustrating league for basketball. The are a lot of good teams but not a lot of GREAT teams which means you have to play hard every game but most of the time you won't get a lot of respect for it because you don't have flashy final four contenders very often in the league (at least not perception-wise). Kentucky is obviously the main exception to the rule and everyone gets up for Kentucky.

Wait…. Kentucky has won only 2 tournaments in the past 25 year. Per the OP, they are a has been program.

That is rich because Kentucky, currently, has the most NCAA Tournament wins over the past 10 years.

I only know this because I am in the SEC Facebook group and the Kentucky PR machine has been in full force the last 2 weeks. They also had a listing of the most wins in the SEC for Football and Basketball combined and UK was #1 and Tennessee #2 (basically you take overall SEC records in Football and add it to Basketball. Of course it is kind of meaningless because Basketball plays 3x the number of games as football).

Don't get me wrong, as you can see in my signature, I love Kentucky but I NEVER cheer for them over the Vols and I am totally into the rivalry with UK fans. I have a lot of family members tied to UK on my father's side (my grandfather was a MASSIVE UK fan and he grew up in Kentucky and played HS basketball there so it made sense).

EDIT: By the way, Florida was in the top ten on that list.

That is rich because Kentucky, currently, has the most NCAA Tournament wins over the past 10 years.

I only know this because I am in the SEC Facebook group and the Kentucky PR machine has been in full force the last 2 weeks. They also had a listing of the most wins in the SEC for Football and Basketball combined and UK was #1 and Tennessee #2 (basically you take overall SEC records in Football and add it to Basketball. Of course it is kind of meaningless because Basketball plays 3x the number of games as football).

Don't get me wrong, as you can see in my signature, I love Kentucky but I NEVER cheer for them over the Vols and I am totally into the rivalry with UK fans. I have a lot of family members tied to UK on my father's side (my grandfather was a MASSIVE UK fan and he grew up in Kentucky and played HS basketball there so it made sense).

EDIT: By the way, Florida was in the top ten on that list.
I know Kentucky is good. I’m using the dwags logic against him.

Well let’s all hope he can drag UGAs program down, like he did at UF. Quite a challenge since the dwags are already terrible.
Exactly, there is no place to go. We are that bad. It would be impossible to make us worse. Now let’s see if your expectations are met with your hire. Who do you think you are going to get?

Exactly, there is no place to go. We are that bad. It would be impossible to make us worse. Now let’s see if your expectations are met with your hire. Who do you think you are going to get?

Honestly, it probably isn't a bad hire for Georgia.

I do think Georgia can land big names because you got $$$ and facilities even if you don't have tradition.

This is why schools like Tennessee have a hard time in football getting coaches but can land big-names in basketball. The expectations are not as high but the resources to win are there.

Georgia has a hotbed in Atlanta to recruit out of as well.

No. That’s the thing. You aren’t Florida.

That is an established program. They are firing guys you are hiring.

Losing in 1983 isn’t close to winning back to back titles during the lifetime of every American with a drivers license.
No shit, Sherlock. I said in my post we suck. My post isn’t about our program … we are glad to have White. My post was about UF’s view of themselves and expectations with regard to basketball. Again, no recruit today remembers UF’s NCs. They’d have been 4 years old.

Honestly, it probably isn't a bad hire for Georgia.

I do think Georgia can land big names because you got $$$ and facilities even if you don't have tradition.

This is why schools like Tennessee have a hard time in football getting coaches but can land big-names in basketball. The expectations are not as high but the resources to win are there.

Georgia has a hotbed in Atlanta to recruit out of as well.
It’s a home run for us. Who they hell else were we getting? A mid-major who just as likely fails as is successful? White is good … it’s great for us. What my post was about and we shall see is who does UF get that is better?

It’s a home run for us. Who they hell else were we getting? A mid-major who just as likely fails as is successful? White is good … it’s great for us. What my post was about and we shall see is who does UF get that is better?

We will see but Florida is definitely a place that you can win at. I think they can get a big name to come to Gainesville.

You could be Auburn, an “everything” school!
College Basketball Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness

No shit, Sherlock. I said in my post we suck. My post isn’t about our program … we are glad to have White. My post was about UF’s view of themselves and expectations with regard to basketball. Again, no recruit today remembers UF’s NCs. They’d have been 4 years old.
We all know you suck.

Florida doesn’t. It’s your view that is off.

So which football power also has had good basketball? OU has historically been solid. 3 National Players of the year in Blake Griffin, Buddy Hield, and Trey Young. Multiple final four appearances. Texas has been good but OU holds a big lead vs them head to head and has more tourney wins. OU beat Arkansas and Florida this year and should improve the SEC as a basketball league.

SEC is decent in basketball. OU and UTa strengthen the conference.
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Texas was 10-8 and OU was 7-11 this year in the Big 12. j/s

But OU was playing better at the end of the year.

Who do you think you are going to get?
The fuck if I know. I don’t care for the sport. I don’t follow it beyond checking scores occasionally, and watching them in the tournament.

White brought the Gators a lot of embarrassing losses, and an occasional good win. But when they win, I’m all on that bandwagon.

White has a low ceiling. But I expect that he can bring Georgia up to average.

The fuck if I know. I don’t care for the sport. I don’t follow it beyond checking scores occasionally, and watching them in the tournament.

White brought the Gators a lot of embarrassing losses, and an occasional good win. But when they win, I’m all on that bandwagon.

White has a low ceiling. But I expect that he can bring Georgia up to average.
A couple pretty funny comments I saw on a UGA sports board:

- I am very whelmed by this hire.

- Based on his UF results, he has a high floor, but a low ceiling.

Right now a high floor is perfectly fine for UGA fans.

A good article saying what I was trying to say:

Mike Bianchi: Getting Dawged: Mike White just gave spoiled UF basketball fans the ultimate middle finger

Former AD Jeremy Foley then brilliantly hired a young Donovan, who turned the Gators into a national powerhouse. In his 19 amazing years, Donovan reached 14 NCAA tournaments, won two national championships and played for another national title.

But if I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a million times:

Billy Donovan was an elite basketball coach.

Florida is not an elite basketball program.

In fact, I’m here to tell you that Mike White is the second-best coach in UF history. If you take Donovan out of equation and take away two of Sloan’s NCAA tournament appearances that were vacated because of NCAA probation, White advanced to more NCAA tournaments (four) than all other coaches combined for in the 105-year history of UF’s program. In White’s seven seasons as Donovan’s successor, he ranked 19th in all-time SEC winning percentage among conference coaches.

And as great as Donovan was, it’s not like he left the program in tip-top shape before jumping to the NBA. The Gators were 16-17 in Donovan’s final season and then White came in and took UF to four NCAA tournaments in five years, including an Elite Eight run in his second season.

If you ask me, finding a viable candidate for UF’s basketball job will be much tougher than filling the football opening. Think about it: Stricklin must go out and find a basketball coach who follows the rules, can win SEC titles and national championships and is willing to take over a program that will always play second-fiddle to football. All the while, this new coach must endure a fan base that only tepidly supports its basketball team but constantly complains about it.