TV Series Mare of Easttown

It was completely uninteresting and unnecessary.
As is your defiance of allegory.....

harry potter GIF

Just finished it. I think it's fucked up how Mare arrested the kid and didn't just let it slide like the cop in Mystic River.

I actually agree with you here...

Not just that she didnt look the other way, but she didnt talk to her best friend about it first...

Just finished it. I think it's fucked up how Mare arrested the kid and didn't just let it slide like the cop in Mystic River.

I actually agree with you here...

Not just that she didnt look the other way, but she didnt talk to her best friend about it first...
In the moment I went with “Mare is Mare”, only remembering later that she was also the Mare the planted drugs lifted from evidence on Andrew’s mother. So…..these are very valid points.

I can’t go as far as helping cover it up. That would be a stretch, even with her recent suspension. But, I think Lori was right (why didn’t you come to me first?).

I think that was merely indicative of how consumed Mare gets with a case and bringing in the culprit. And it opened up for the two most amazing scenes (in the car with Lori and later at Loris house).

If she goes to Lori first do we get such satisfying scenes? Do we get just how well Winslet played what emotion came out of Mare upon realizing it was Ryan?

Probably. We are probably talking about a few other scenes in the finale and how masterful they were played. But, I just don’t know that it would have been better than what we got.

In the moment I went with “Mare is Mare”, only remembering later that she was also the Mare the planted drugs lifted from evidence on Andrew’s mother. So…..these are very valid points.

I can’t go as far as helping cover it up. That would be a stretch, even with her recent suspension. But, I think Lori was right (why didn’t you come to me first?).

I think that was merely indicative of how consumed Mare gets with a case and bringing in the culprit. And it opened up for the two most amazing scenes (in the car with Lori and later at Loris house).

If she goes to Lori first do we get such satisfying scenes? Do we get just how well Winslet played what emotion came out of Mare upon realizing it was Ryan?

Probably. We are probably talking about a few other scenes in the finale and how masterful they were played. But, I just don’t know that it would have been better than what we got.

We would have still gotten the soccer scene... Mare just should not have called it in yet... she should have just followed ryan home from there, and talked to Lori... Talk about a dramatic scene that they actually could have had... The what will Mare do?? will she help Lori cover it up, or will she not?? they could have even had a court scene having Mare request leniency.... that could have been very dramatic too...

but we were given what were given... it was a very good limited series... but i will claim that Mare's actions were WRONG, and pretty unforgivable... and kind of unnecessary to the plot... not to mention a little unbelievable...

I mean seriously, if your best friends child did a crime, what kind of person doesnt want to talk it out first, before making any final decisions...

We would have still gotten the soccer scene... Mare just should not have called it in yet... she should have just followed ryan home from there, and talked to Lori... Talk about a dramatic scene that they actually could have had... The what will Mare do?? will she help Lori cover it up, or will she not?? they could have even had a court scene having Mare request leniency.... that could have been very dramatic too...

but we were given what were given... it was a very good limited series... but i will claim that Mare's actions were WRONG, and pretty unforgivable... and kind of unnecessary to the plot... not to mention a little unbelievable...

I mean seriously, if your best friends child did a crime, what kind of person doesnt want to talk it out first, before making any final decisions...
You’re presuming here that there is any other decision for Mare in her position besides Ryan having to face the law.

I’ll agree that she could have followed him back and went to him and Lori. But, you lost me on “….making any final decisions”. Ryan had to face what happened. Any other option is just as bad as planting evidence on Andrew’s mother.

You’re presuming here that there is any other decision for Mare in her position besides Ryan having to face the law.

I’ll agree that she could have followed him back and went to him and Lori. But, you lost me on “….making any final decisions”. Ryan had to face what happened. Any other option is just as bad as planting evidence on Andrew’s mother.

is it?? the father was going to take the blame... as it was his fault anyway... he was going to jail for statutory rape anyway... i think there could have been a satisfying ending with the boy getting away with it...

but ultimately, after the talks i would have assumed Mare would not let Ryan off... just saying that they had options... not sure why the writers took away those options...

is it?? the father was going to take the blame... as it was his fault anyway... he was going to jail for statutory rape anyway... i think there could have been a satisfying ending with the boy getting away with it...

but ultimately, after the talks i would have assumed Mare would not let Ryan off... just saying that they had options... not sure why the writers took away those options...
You’re right. They could have gone that way with it and let it all fall on John. Karmically the at makes the most sense. By the code of the law though, it doesn’t. And someone like Mare lives by that code….even if she blatantly violated this code earlier in the series and was lucky she wasn’t out and out fired.

And, maybe that’s a piece, the planting drugs that caught onto her made the ice extra thin going forward. Maybe that was a piece of why she did it how she did it with Ryan.

I can appreciate how letting it all hang on John would have been more satisfying for you. It would not for me.

Mare was on a healing redemptive arc through the back half of the show. This would have flown right in the face of that and been stilted.

As for Ryan, I can think of other parts of the finale that could have been cut to see a courtroom scene of Mare pleading for leniency. But, I just presumed in my mind that happened. By the very end something like 6-9 months had passed, and though it’s not said I got the feel Ryan would be home soon. He wasn’t face multiple decades as a sentence anyway.

I’ll respect that she was uninteresting to you, but why unnecessary?

Because it served no meaningful purpose. It was nothing but filler to appease Gay culture that you see in entertainment sometimes.

It could have been completely removed from the limited series and not only would it not have hurt the show at all but it might have actually made it better by getting rid of scenes that did nothing but waste time.

Because it served no meaningful purpose. It was nothing but filler to appease Gay culture that you see in entertainment sometimes.

It could have been completely removed from the limited series and not only would it not have hurt the show at all but it might have actually made it better by getting rid of scenes that did nothing but waste time.
Thanks. I can respect that view.

I wasn’t thrown back by the clearly gay daughter. Her story had place. She was the person closest to Andrew. She was another woman caught by that tragedy. I considered her a traumatic barometer against Mare. The fact that she was gay was immaterial to what her character was to the story. Even the brief back and forth with the DJ girl served purpose.

Like pointing out that she’s a victim of a heavy trauma that makes her want to latch onto the briefest instance of something nice.

Like serving as exposition to the opening for her to leave Easttown and grow into something.

All of that set up to provide that scene with Mare and show Mares own growth.

I get it. They could have done that with a straight daughter. If that’s the only real core of the complaint I’ll respect it, but I don’t get it. Families like this exist these days.

Thanks. I can respect that view.

I wasn’t thrown back by the clearly gay daughter. Her story had place. She was the person closest to Andrew. She was another woman caught by that tragedy. I considered her a traumatic barometer against Mare. The fact that she was gay was immaterial to what her character was to the story. Even the brief back and forth with the DJ girl served purpose.

Like pointing out that she’s a victim of a heavy trauma that makes her want to latch onto the briefest instance of something nice.

Like serving as exposition to the opening for her to leave Easttown and grow into something.

All of that set up to provide that scene with Mare and show Mares own growth.

I get it. They could have done that with a straight daughter. If that’s the only real core of the complaint I’ll respect it, but I don’t get it. Families like this exist these days.

She could have been straight and the love interest a guy instead of a girl and the entire storyline would have still been equally as uninteresting and unnecessary and I would have noted such all the same. You're missing the point, the scenes throughout the show of the daughter with her relationship was so unnecessary. The only reason it was in there though because it was a gay daughter in an interracial relationship, this doesn't have anything to do with the plot but it is in there simply for that very purpose because this is what HBO is now and it has to shoe horn that into everything they make these days.

She could have been straight and the love interest a guy instead of a girl and the entire storyline would have still been equally as uninteresting and unnecessary and I would have noted such all the same. You're missing the point, the scenes throughout the show of the daughter with her relationship was so unnecessary. The only reason it was in there though because it was a gay daughter in an interracial relationship, this doesn't have anything to do with the plot but it is in there simply for that very purpose because this is what HBO is now and it has to shoe horn that into everything they make these days.
So…..her sexual orientation doesn’t matter to your read. Got it, though I’m not sure why you brought it up then.

Wait, you just said whatever her orientation didn’t matter, now it does….because HBO. I get it. HBO has become that. If we are debating the orientation of the character (or her biracial choice) then fine, no disagreement.

But I can’t agree at all that her character was pointless.

So…..her sexual orientation doesn’t matter to your read. Got it, though I’m not sure why you brought it up then.

Wait, you just said whatever her orientation didn’t matter, now it does….because HBO. I get it. HBO has become that. If we are debating the orientation of the character (or her biracial choice) then fine, no disagreement.

But I can’t agree at all that her character was pointless.

Her relationship scenes were completely pointless. They added nothing at all to the show. They would have equally added nothing at all to the show if it was some straight relationship. I would still be criticizing the show for throwing these scenes in that contributed nothing and just wasted time every time they went to that storyline. The fact that she was a lesbian in an interracial relationship is the only reason that it was even thrown in there even though it added no value whatsoever to the plot of the show.